Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 01:45 PM

32,655 posts, read 48,053,996 times

Advertisements

Sorry, OP, I missed that you wanted a recipe. This is how my mother made it.

Swiss steak

Use a round steak. Cut out the little round bone. Cut into serving size pieces

Coat the meat with flour and pound the flour into the meat, using the edge of a heavy saucer. As the flour gets pounded in, add a bit more flour and pound that into the meat. Season with salt and pepper. You pound the bejeebers out of the meat.

Heat a bit of oil in a skillet. When the oil is spitting hot, add the meat and fry until it crisps on both sides.

Remove the meat from the skillet and add hot water to the skillet. Stir and scrape until it thickens into gravy. Taste for salt. Pour over the meat. The fried flour that remains in the hot oil is what does the thickening.

Now, when I make it, I use a meat hammer and I add mushrooms and onions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2018, 05:20 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Sorry, OP, I missed that you wanted a recipe. This is how my mother made it.

Swiss steak

Use a round steak. Cut out the little round bone. Cut into serving size pieces

Coat the meat with flour and pound the flour into the meat, using the edge of a heavy saucer. As the flour gets pounded in, add a bit more flour and pound that into the meat. Season with salt and pepper. You pound the bejeebers out of the meat.

Heat a bit of oil in a skillet. When the oil is spitting hot, add the meat and fry until it crisps on both sides.

Remove the meat from the skillet and add hot water to the skillet. Stir and scrape until it thickens into gravy. Taste for salt. Pour over the meat. The fried flour that remains in the hot oil is what does the thickening.

Now, when I make it, I use a meat hammer and I add mushrooms and onions.
Well no reason to apologize. It has been an interesting and learning experience with lots of good ideas. I ended up not pounding the meat cause dad never did. He pounded the round steak when we had chicken fried steak. I browned the meat for a couple of minutes, after making sure it was seasoned well and covered in flour. After browning it and removing it from the skillet I added sliced bell peppers, onions and baby carrots and browned them. Then remover them as well. I added a cup of white wine, more flour and tomatoes, stirred to make a nice tomato gravy and returned the meat and veggies to the skillet. It all went into a 300 degree oven for about 90 minutes. I can say it was really tasty and a fun way to bring back memories. I served it with a dry fruit and typical cabbage cold slaw

Old 09-23-2018, 08:25 AM

802 posts, read 643,119 times
I'm making it today, first time in years, because of this thread. LOL
Have some cross rib steaks thawed that I need to cook up.

Old 09-23-2018, 02:26 PM

32,655 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Well no reason to apologize. It has been an interesting and learning experience with lots of good ideas. I ended up not pounding the meat cause dad never did. He pounded the round steak when we had chicken fried steak. I browned the meat for a couple of minutes, after making sure it was seasoned well and covered in flour. After browning it and removing it from the skillet I added sliced bell peppers, onions and baby carrots and browned them. Then remover them as well. I added a cup of white wine, more flour and tomatoes, stirred to make a nice tomato gravy and returned the meat and veggies to the skillet. It all went into a 300 degree oven for about 90 minutes. I can say it was really tasty and a fun way to bring back memories. I served it with a dry fruit and typical cabbage cold slaw

That sounds really good. I think I'll try your recipe. I've been getting some really good bargains on top round. It hadn't occurred to me to make swiss steak out of it. I'd forgotten about swiss steak. We had that fairly often when I was a kid because that was a cheap cut of meat.

Old 09-23-2018, 05:23 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,024,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
There are also many recipes for Swiss steak with brown gravy. Even if tomato is the more popular way, both have always been around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I think the traditional difference between Swiss steak and Salisbury steak is that the latter is a patty of ground meat but I've always thought of them as the first is with tomato and the second is with brown gravy.
I've always considered swiss steak to have tomatoes. Cubed or round steak with brown gravy is known as country-style steak around here. Not to be confused with country fried steak or chicken fried steak, which is battered and fried.

Old 09-23-2018, 07:52 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
I've always considered swiss steak to have tomatoes. Cubed or round steak with brown gravy is known as country-style steak around here. Not to be confused with country fried steak or chicken fried steak, which is battered and fried.
Well since no one seems to believe me... here are lots of examples of brown swiss steaks.

https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Personally I don't think steak goes with red sauce so I only like the brown gravy version.

Old 09-24-2018, 05:26 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
How many of you remember, as a kid, having Swiss steak for dinner and do you even fix it now? I don't think I have had it in maybe 50 years but have decided to have it tomorrow for dinner. I guess I will have to find a recipe cause I can't even remember for sure what mom put in it. I do remember she used round steak. What do the rest of you have to say about making it?
My mom used cube steak & pounded it with a meat tenderizer, then dredged the pieces of meat in egg followed by flour. Then they were fried. If it was served with chopped vegetables, it was swiss steak. If it got brown gravy & mushrooms, it was chicken-fried steak. I didn't care for either as a kid & have never made either.

Old 09-24-2018, 05:38 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,024,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Well since no one seems to believe me... here are lots of examples of brown swiss steaks.

https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Personally I don't think steak goes with red sauce so I only like the brown gravy version.
Ahhh...not that I didn't believe you...just wasn't anything I'd ever heard myself. We all call foods different things. (Hotdish vs casserole, anyone?)

Old 09-25-2018, 06:46 PM

802 posts, read 643,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
Husband likes the tomato gravy version. Came out pretty good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes