Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 09:32 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordsmith680 View Post
Just to be sure......low temp setting?
Yep ... low. Sorry, I didn't include that.

If you've got a newer CP that burns at a fairly high temp, you may want to lean toward the shorter time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 09:36 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,818,180 times
Small, round Crockpot: Pot roast. Brown a good cut of meat (about 2 lbs) in a frying pan, cut into pieces and place in crock pot. Add new potatoes (cut in half if they're 'big'), add some baby carrots. Mix up a Beefy Onion Soup mix with about 1 cup of water and pour over ingredients.

Turn on LOW, and let cook covered and undisturbed for about 8-10 hours.

Best and easiest pot roast you'll ever have. If you're single and have a significant other, invite them to come over for a meal about the time it's ready. When they walk in and smell it cooking, they'll be "hooked" (if that's what you're looking for anyway!)

Old 10-24-2014, 09:48 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,749 times
I love slow cooker cooking. I have several of the appliances--too many, really, I've had to give away a couple.

My favorite is probably this Nesco "roaster" (48-16-24) I picked up for $4 about 1½ years ago from a garage sale. I love that it has an actual temperature dial vs just "keep warm/low/high" for two reasons. One--"vintage" slow cookers have better settings for low/high (175 and 225 roughly) but they don't have a "keep warm" setting, whereas on newer ones they DO have a "keep warm" but low and high are too hot (around 200 and 300 roughly). This combines the best of both worlds, you are in total control.

Two, you can also bake-broil things in it, or if you need to "speed cook" for a stretch, you can crank it up to 350 or so for about an hour before reverting back to typical slow-cooker temperatures.

And to think--it only cost me $4, not bad, considering it's $42 new.

http://www.appliancelife.com/price/p...l-4816-14.html

My favorite recipe, certainly the one that others like the most of anything I make, is a Jalapeno Chicken Chili recipe. Naturally, it goes great with cornbread.

Jalapeno Chicken Chili Recipe
2 cups chicken, cooked and cubed
4 cans Great Northern beans
1 onion, chopped
1/2 cup red pepper, diced
1/2 cup green pepper, diced
2 tablespoons jalapeno peppers, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
2 cups salsa

Stir all ingredients except salsa together; spoon into a slow cooker. Heat on high setting for 5 hours, or cook on high setting one hour and reduce to low setting and cook 7 to 9 hours.

Stir occasionally. Add salsa during last hour of heating.

(Source: http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/rec...li147907.shtml)

Old 10-24-2014, 09:50 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
We are off-grid, and can't use a Crock Pot. But we have something else: a Yukon Jack's thermal cooker.

We also love to do beef pot roasts, but especially pork roasts, in BBQ sauce. I heat up the pork in our oven (propane, no electric) and mix up the sauce...start with a packet of McCormick's slow-cooker BBQ pork mix, add 1/2 cup ketchup, 1/2 cup brown sugar, and 1/3 cup cider vinegar. I put the hot pork (about 3-4 lbs) into the thermal cooker pan, and pour the mixture over it. I often do this at 6 am, before DW gets up. I just let it sit in the insulated cooker till supper time, about 6 pm.

This is a perfect "pulled pork" recipe, but we just slice it normally. Tastes outrageously good!

Old 10-24-2014, 10:48 AM

6,472 posts, read 6,678,064 times
Disclaimer: I try to mostly cook healthy and avoid packaged foods with all their salt, additives, etc. BUT....I will admit to you all that I do sometimes make this quickie in my crockpot. It is embarrassingly simple, but it is one of hub's favorite things I make. I like to cook it until it is falling-apart-tender.

Beef roast, about 2 1/2 to 3 pounds (I've used chuck, rump, sirloin tip)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 envelope dry onion soup mix

Mix the 2 soups together in a bowl. Put roast in crockpot (no pre-browning necessary), cover with soup mixture. Cook on low for several hours.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:06 AM

4,694 posts, read 3,473,160 times
I love my crockpot. My favourite is all day beef stew. I will try to write the recipe but it will probably only make sense to me.

Put about a half cup of flour and maybe a tablespoon or two of Ras El Hanout in a big plastic bag. Add about two pounds stew meat and shake until covered. Put the meat in the crock pot with a chopped onion. Put enough beef broth to cover. Throw in a cup or so of red wine and a handful of dry tapioca. Cook on low for two or three hours. Then add chopped carrots, potatoes and celery. Cook a few more hours then throw in sliced mushrooms. Cook for a total of ten to twelve hours on low. I like to serve over rice.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:19 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,844,919 times
I love to my tatertot casserole in mine, its hubbys fav recipe i make.

CP fails for me: Oatmeal, Mac N Cheese, and Cake. For some reason they didnt turn out right.

I didnt grow up on a CP, I mean we had one but it was mostly used for dads chili or roast but It is so much easier to cook with!! I wouldnt even get a new oven if I didnt need a stove.

Old 10-24-2014, 12:20 PM

339 posts, read 777,821 times
Rattlesnake chili.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:07 PM

8,578 posts, read 7,075,290 times
COKE ROAST

1 (3-4 pound) beef roast
1 envelope of onion soup mix
2 cans of Coca Cola Classic

Add roast to crockpot.
Sprinkle onion soup mix on and around the roast.
Pour Coca Cola on and around the roast.

Cover and cook on LOW for about 7-8 hours. My large CP runs hotter than my older, smaller one so I reduce the time to 6-7 hours. Depending on the size of the roast, it's usually done after just 6-1/2 hours.

Take the roast out of the crockpot and let it stand at least 10 minutes before slicing.

IF YOU WANT TO MAKE A GRAVY
While roast is standing, mix 1/4 cup of cornstarch with just enough water to dissolve it. Mix it until the lumps are gone. Stir into the liquid in crockpot. Stir or whisk the liquid until it thickens, usually about 10 minutes.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:16 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
I have used 3 different sized ones this week: I made spaghetti sauce and meat balls in my 3 quart one, chili in my 2 qt on and cocktail meat balls in my 1.5 quart one. Right now I have roasted squash and corn chowder cooking in the 2 quart one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes