Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 10:47 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,212,779 times

Advertisements

Are you old fashioned and still expect men to call you first, be the one to ask you out on a date etc etc?

I have a workmate who says as much as she wants to get married, she would NEVER EVER propose to her boyfriend. She wants the big romantic dinner, dramatic proposal and blinding diamond package. Another friend of mine got the phone number of a wonderful guy just last weekend, but is waiting for him to call instead of picking up the phone herself.

Personally I believe if you want something, go for it yourself instead of waiting around. I asked my last 2 boyfriends out. What about the rest of you ladies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 11:00 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times
I'm not one to ask a man out on a date. I don't buy them drinks or ask them to dance (though I will with someone I already know). I'm not the initiator. Old fashioned that way. I have nothing against it, it's just not my bag.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:04 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,251,461 times
Geez, you would think us guys bite or something. Women are always expecting the guy to do all the leg work. Many men worth a hoot today consider that to be lazy or taking the easy way out. IMO, it should be a little of both and the best results will occur. One person doing all the work may complicate things. The person who is on the receiving end just has to say yes. They may do it just because they don't have anything better as of right now. You aren't getting the best person using that approach and IMO, if she was really that into you she would have tried harder. Sitting back and saying yes is easy, meeting in the middle requires a little more effort and shows the guy that you are a go getter in life. Once again, we don't bite! Well, not much!LOL......

Old 06-20-2010, 11:10 PM

117 posts, read 266,852 times
Its all a matter of personal preference.

Personally, I've found most men enjoy the challenge. Those who don't, and prefer women contacting them - well, sometimes (not all the time) it's a predictor that they don't like taking initiative in general.

Such has been my past experience, and it's too heavy a burden to carry later on in a relationship if the woman makes all the decisions. I don't want that role, and haven't for years.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RUGGED4YOU View Post
Women are always expecting the guy to do all the leg work. Many men worth a hoot today consider that to be lazy or taking the easy way out. IMO, it should be a little of both and the best results will occur.
I agree!!!

Both bfs I asked out were very turned on by my confidence in making the first move too, which was an added bonus ladies!

Old 06-20-2010, 11:14 PM

All it takes is a number of them to say yes because they had nothing better to do at the time and it changes your look on things. Do we want them to do all the work? Of course not but don't act like it is the guys duty to ask.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
I agree!!!

Both bfs I asked out were very turned on by my confidence in making the first move too, which was an added bonus ladies!
We know someone who throws it all out and doesn't care, don't we?LOL........ It is 50/50!

Old 06-20-2010, 11:23 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
No I won't ask a man out, I like the old fashion ritual of male / female courtship. If a guy wants to, but doesn't ask me out to me it's a pretty good indicator that we wouldn't be compatible.

I have a pretty strong personality and I like men with strong personalities. I like feeling like a woman. A lot of men I've talked to feel the same way, they enjoy the whole pursuit / challenge dynamic. It's foreplay.

That doesn't mean I expect some man to shower me with gifts (that would be a turn off), or strew my path with rose petals...

But I have no problem if women want to ask men out, or men like being asked out. To each their own.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RUGGED4YOU View Post
We know someone who throws it all out and doesn't care, don't we?LOL........ It is 50/50!
LOL!!!!!! I don't throw it out there!!! I'm not a sleazy "how bout it cowboy?" kinda gal, I just got fed up with waiting for the guys to muster up the guts!

Although I did say to my last bf, as we were discussing opposing sporting teams, "if my team wins, you have to take me out for a drink and if your team wins... you have to take me out for a drink". hehehehe.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:30 PM

I would have to say that the guys that have to do all the work all of the time never get hit on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships