Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 11:27 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,682,209 times

Advertisements

I'd call it co-dependent and completely dysfunctional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 04:45 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,678,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boodhabunny View Post
I'd call it co-dependent and completely dysfunctional.
...and she won't leave until he does something and she wakes up. Sometimes something really bad needs to happen in order for the other person to realize they should have left a long...long time ago.

Old 09-13-2010, 05:28 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,863,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
If you want a backstory, go through and read her other threads. You will see a trend.

A supportive partner would do whatever it takes to help. If that means putting down the bottle completely, then you do it. If that's too difficult for you (whomever) - then that's a sign you have a problem as well.

If it's because he is a drunk maybe....but her post indicates it's because he wants to lose weight. And given how he seems to act....i would be doing shots right in front of him. A supportive partner does not do it around you and asks you which is what she did. He is just pissed because he didn't get to see his precious football game is all.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:32 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times
You should be angry, not questioning whether or not you should be.

Dieting and recovery from alcohol can each create irritability in anyone. But your boyfriend is a douche-burger with fries all the way around, no dieting or recovery needed, from all you have shared. Hopefully, you'll see that at some point and ditch the loser. Until then, you'll probably get the same responses from everyone here. Good luck.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:42 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,553,309 times
VG you seem like a nice person, dump this guy while you're still relatively young.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:15 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,284,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
What i make of it is your man is a flipping toolbox really. If that was my bf and he talked to me like that he wouldn't have to worry about seeing the big game because i would bring it to him with my size 6 foot up his ass. Serious leave this jerk because you could do better.
Wowser. For once someone said it better than I could say it myself.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:18 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
What would you call it?
Definitely co-dependency

Old 09-13-2010, 06:50 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,552,733 times
Well alot of young gals go through this phase of being attracted to the guy who treats them the worst (aka, "bad boy" syndrome). Hopefully, this is just a phase for you and you will stop being so dependent on this person for your sense of worth and finally leave him. A year down the road, you will be relieved you did. Yeah, he'll probably try to bs his way back into your heart. Don't fall for it. Don't marry a jerk. I'm glad he's at least quitting alcohol but its his treatment of you that is troubling.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:08 PM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
Have you ever heard the saying “love is blind (deaf, dumb)”?
Only for so long. Eventually, your vision returns. You need to end this lousy excuse for a relationship.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:31 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,052,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
Coming home drunk, reeking of alcohol, and spending the day hungover is all the same as drinking around him.

Yep, and if he's an alcoholic like me that's a big no no if you want him to stay sober.

It was hard for my wife to understand that for me to stay sober I have to live in a sober household.

I'm an alcoholic and I was sober for 19 years. Never touched a drop of alcohol but the torment of being around people who drank finally got to me.

I got tired of being the only one sober and started telling myself that it was not fun being the only one not included in the partying.

That was six years ago and I started drinking again, only this time worse then when I was younger.

I fought drinking for the past six years and tried to quit over and over again. But I failed every time I tried and kept telling my wife that if I was to stay sober she had to also stay sober.

She could not understand why she had to quit for me to quit. I would beg her and tell her that I would get mad and give in when I found out she was drinking. I felt that it was not fair to me and that her drinking was my trigger that set me off.

She finally understood and stopped drinking about two years ago and when she quit drinking I was able to quit again.

I know it is not fair to a person who doesn't have a drinking problem but what I tried to explain to her was that if I had a drinking problem, she also has a problem being my spouse.

I know it's a ***** living with an alcoholic but in order to stay sober I have to live in a sober household and that means living with a non drinking spouse.

busta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships