Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 02:02 PM

380 posts, read 795,830 times

Advertisements

Damn...I guess I'd be the "You" in this conversation. 1.) I forget everything and 2.) I do nothing but watch football on Sundays. (dont even try to talk to me!). I must be doomed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 02:33 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
2. Learn to be a "cool" jerk. A lot of guys think being a jerk means you have to treat girls like crap. While some girls do like to be treated like crap, many others don't. But all girls seem to have a soft spot for a guy who is a jerk, but in a cool, detached way. You should always be a little disagreeable and resistant sometimes for no good reason at all. Just take an extreme position on some delicate, but not too controversial issue, that strikes right at the heart of a woman's value system. For example, if she starts talking about her older female cousin who got engaged, say something like...
I think that's the hardest thing for me, like it's genuinely difficult for me to come off as a 'cool' jerk. I normally come off as simply a 'nice guy' and I think if I tried to come off as a 'cool jerk' I'd end up coming off as 'total douchenozzle.'

I like Urban's advice (yours is good too though), it doesn't require advanced psychological tactics

Old 09-24-2010, 02:37 PM

471 posts, read 1,042,861 times
OK it's easy to talk to women, it really is. The part that makes it hard is self created. A belief in fear over a belief in confidence. There's no quick cure other than keep trying to talk to women despite failures. I was once painfully shy, wondered what tactics to use and what not. I eventually learned that thinking so much wasn't working. So I started just talking to women about anything and everything. At first I wound up in the friend zone which was fine as I was learning how to start and carry conversations.

Be affirmative in your actions and cool in your demeanor. If she says no, just say, "cool, maybe I'll see you around sometime" or "Alright, well you take care" then just turn around and walk away like you don't care.........because you don't care. Whether she says yes or no doesn't matter. The devestation or elation you feel is only based on the importance you give it.

If you feel rejection is so hard that you can't move well it's because you allow it that kind of power over you. Much like if you feel you can walk up to any person and talk to them as if you've known them for years it's because you have chosen to be that way.

Choose to get to know women personally. Have fun and enjoy yourself. Screw the word "no" and move on to someone who does want to talk to you and go out. Oh and for God's sake don't worry about her reaction when you say hi. Just go with it.

Old 09-24-2010, 02:40 PM

well that's what I'm gonna start doing

Old 09-24-2010, 02:47 PM

32,113 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I think that's the hardest thing for me, like it's genuinely difficult for me to come off as a 'cool' jerk. I normally come off as simply a 'nice guy' and I think if I tried to come off as a 'cool jerk' I'd end up coming off as 'total douchenozzle.'

I like Urban's advice (yours is good too though), it doesn't require advanced psychological tactics
I know what you mean. When you really like a girl, the nice guy sorta oozes out of you.

Alright, so here's a "non-advanced psychological tactic" that just might work.

--

[As you guys leave class, run up behind her quickly and say]

You: Hey
Her: Hey
You: There's something in your hair.
Her: Really? [strokes hair] Is it gone?
You: No. It's on the other side.
Her: [keeps picking at hair and looking silly]
You: It's gone.
Her: Thanks.
You: Actually, I liked that look on you. It matched your belt. But you're welcome.

--

Anytime we look stupid, whether it's a fart, getting embarassed in class, or falling down a flight of stairs, we feel less attractive. If you go this route, she'll be much more receptive to your advances. You level the playing field and you can just flow into a regular convo.

Old 09-24-2010, 02:56 PM

471 posts, read 1,042,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I know what you mean. When you really like a girl, the nice guy sorta oozes out of you.

Alright, so here's a "non-advanced psychological tactic" that just might work.

--

[As you guys leave class, run up behind her quickly and say]

You: Hey
Her: Hey
You: There's something in your hair.
Her: Really? [strokes hair] Is it gone?
You: No. It's on the other side.
Her: [keeps picking at hair and looking silly]
You: It's gone.
Her: Thanks.
You: Actually, I liked that look on you. It matched your belt. But you're welcome.

--

Anytime we look stupid, whether it's a fart, getting embarassed in class, or falling down a flight of stairs, we feel less attractive. If you go this route, she'll be much more receptive to your advances. You level the playing field and you can just flow into a regular convo.
What you're seeing here is a nice guy approach without being creepy. You call her out for her hair (though nothing is there) which means you're not putting her so high on a pedestal that you feel you can't point out a flaw. However, at the same time you're taking that flaw and making it sound like something that she shouldn't feel self conscious of. So you've broken the ice here.

You can now either carry on a conversation or walk away. If you choose to walk away make the conscious choice to speak to her again.

Old 09-24-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john-ever-learning View Post
What you're seeing here is a nice guy approach without being creepy. You call her out for her hair (though nothing is there) which means you're not putting her so high on a pedestal that you feel you can't point out a flaw. However, at the same time you're taking that flaw and making it sound like something that she shouldn't feel self conscious of. So you've broken the ice here.

You can now either carry on a conversation or walk away. If you choose to walk away make the conscious choice to speak to her again.
Exactly. Although the last part is tongue-in-cheek. You want to put her on the defensive. Usually, it's us that's on the defensive. Ex. ("Excuse me, I was just wondering...if I could...Would you like?)

It's like the episode of Seinfeld when George got caught naked by the girl he liked. He then started urging Jerry to go to the girl and tell her about "shrinkage."

George: I'm bigger than that. You know that, Jerry! I just got out of a pool. Did you tell her about "shrinkage?"
Jerry: No!
George: You've gotta tell her about shrinkage, Jerry!!!!

LOL. Nobody likes making a bad first impression.

Old 09-24-2010, 03:06 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
What you're seeing here is a nice guy approach without being creepy.
Really? Because I think that approach is pretty creepy. Not all women are going to respond to that PUA neg crap.

Old 09-24-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Really? Because I think that approach is pretty creepy. Not all women are going to respond to that PUA neg crap.
Why do you call it "PUA neg crap?" It's just a way to start a conversation.

He could say, "Hi. My name is Hurricane DC. I think you are pretty. Would you like to go out on a date?"

Most of us tried these lines back in junior high and high school and discovered they didn't work. Not only would this line not work on a girl you want to date, it wouldn't work on a guy you were simply trying to build a little camraderie with.

I mean, you could be in a class and just mention to another dude: "Yo, is it just me, or does this dude sound like Rodney Dangerfield?"

Or you could just turn to the random dude and say: "Hi!"

Which one would you recommend?

Old 09-24-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
isn't the whole point of a "neg" to basically demean the person? Bajan's suggestion sounded more like simply pointing something out that she'd appreciate (chicks don't like having **** in their hair) and then jokingly saying that it looked good with her outfit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships