Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2010, 12:20 PM

32,114 posts, read 34,747,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
It HAS to be girl A! After all, girl B has cigs in her hand!
Haha. I saw that and changed the pic. I needed someone more wholesome. I hate smokers. That's a non-negotiable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 12:22 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,184,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Haha. I saw that and changed the pic. I needed someone more wholesome. I hate smokers. That's a non-negotiable.
There's no picture at this point, but yeah, I'm positive everybody was gonna pass on the original girl!

Old 10-01-2010, 12:22 PM

3,261 posts, read 5,306,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
It HAS to be girl A! After all, girl B has cigs in her hand!
It can't be. She has to be stupid to dump Taye Diggs & Denzel

In all seriousness, these two comparisons are bizarre. I can't figure out what it is, but something's off. Maybe Bajan needs to keep the pics and switch the bios.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:26 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,686,659 times
Quote:
Didn't he already say that women are attracted to high status men? "Status" is the same as male power, and male power takes many different shapes and forms. A CEO, a rock star, a high school football team captain, a doctor, and a charismatic socialite are all high status men. Women are simply attracted to male power in all of its various forms.
The fact that he says it doesn't make it so.

A CEO? I don't care if someone is a CEO. Anyone who a couple of hundred dollars, a computer and a postage stamp can become a CEO within 24 hours (or within minutes, depending on your jurisdiction).

A rock star? Bwah-ha-ha-ha-ha! Those cocaine-addled walking STD labs? I like artists for their art -- it doesn't mean I want to sleep with any of them.

A high school football team captain? Oh please, get real. Unless he is also on the calculus team, I'm not interested.

A doctor? Insane schedules mean you never see him. And when you do see him, he is one pager beep away from leaving that romantic evening and disappearing for a couple of days. Same goes for Wall Street lawyers and traders.

A charismatic socialite? As I said, intelligent, handsome and charming works. Self-important and bloated doesn't.

Quote:
Alternatively, there is only one form of female power: beauty.
Neither modern observations nor history support that theory. I live in a place where there are more billionaires per inch than anywhere else short of LA, St. Barth's and Lichtenstein. Men married to trophy wives are clearly a small minority. Most rich men are married to women who are close to them in age, come from wealthy families, and are similar to their husbands in terms of culture and education; and in terms of looks, those women run the gamut from gorgeous to dull to downright ugly, just like the general population. This city is a graveyard for small town beauty queens and south Jersey bimbettes who learn the hard way that no, beauty isn't the only form of "female power"; and that socioeconomic background and education -- not looks -- are the most reliable determinant of the kind of long-term partner they may expect.

Quote:
You do realize that narcissism is one of the traits of the "dark triad" that women find irresistibly attractive, don't you?
Funny how none of those articles mention whether women find IMPOTENCE irresistibly attractive. Because most narcissists have serious, serious sexual problems. Which is one explanation for their need to date huge numbers of women for short periods of time -- they go on a couple of dates, then dump the woman on a pretext so that they don't have to embarrass themselves in the bedroom; and tell their friends that they slept with her.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:37 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,386,339 times
Quote:
I don't doubt that you and the women you know want mature, dependable, kind, ambitious, and intelligent men. But I think women want all of those things in a man they are already attracted to. Being kind, in and of itself, rarely attracts women. Being kind, in and of itself, rarely attracts men.

Let's take two men. Both are mature, dependable, kind, ambitious, and intelligent. Here are the differences:

Man A is 6'2
Man B is 5'9

Man A makes $350,000 a year
Man B makes $80,000 per year

Man A is a surgeon
Man B is a mid-level manager

Man A drives a Porsche
Man B drives a Honda Accord

Man A has an effortless charm and wit
Man B is often shy and often clams up in crowds

So let's say that you don't really know either guy too well, but you've seen them at social outings, church, etc. Your bestfriend tells you that both guys are interested, but that they're friends, so you can only go on a date with one of them. Who would you choose?
Subjective. And no, it's not the PC cop-out answer.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
Neither modern observations nor history support that theory...beauty isn't the only form of "female power"; and that socioeconomic background and education -- not looks -- are the most reliable determinant of the kind of long-term partner they may expect.
Oh really? I believe that modern observation, history, and science support this FACT.

Hourglass Figures Affect Men's Brains Like a Drug | LiveScience

The hourglass figure is truly timeless - life - 10 January 2007 - New Scientist

Pretty Woman's Face Is Just Like Cocaine To Male Brain

So I guess your answer to my hypo is Girl A?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
Funny how none of those articles mention whether women find IMPOTENCE irresistibly attractive. Because most narcissists have serious, serious sexual problems. Which is one explanation for their need to date huge numbers of women for short periods of time -- they go on a couple of dates, then dump the woman on a pretext so that they don't have to embarrass themselves in the bedroom; and tell their friends that they slept with her.
Clearly, if there are huge numbers of women that are willing to sleep with them, then they find these narcisstic men attractive. Whether they provide a good lay or not is a different question.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
Subjective. And no, it's not the PC cop-out answer.
That is the PC cop out answer because I've already controlled for that by saying that she knows very little about either man. She doesn't have enough information to say, "Oh, I think he'd make a good father," or "He's honest." All the woman has is a few observations of the men engaging in social settings across a room and her girlfriend's description of their jobs and money. Plus, she's making a decision about which man to go out on a date with, not which man to marry (although the date is basically an interview for the big show).

Old 10-01-2010, 12:56 PM

50 posts, read 74,376 times
Quote:
Since no one bothered to respond to my second hypothetical, I'll throw out one more, and then try to quit my procrastination and get back to work.

Let's flip the script so we can see how men think. Like the earlier hypo, we are to assume that they are both kind, loyal, humble, caring, ambitious, intelligent, sensitive, yada, yada. They are only different in the following respects:

Meet Girl A

She's 34 years old and recently made partner in one of Washington's premier law firms. She graduated summa *** laude from Princeton, majoring in Political Economy, and attended Oxford on a Rhodes Scholarship before heading to Yale Law School, where she was Editor-in-Chief of the Yale Law Journal. Washington Magazine listed her as the 3rd most influential person in Washington under the age of 40. The Washington Post did a 3-page spread on her in the Politics Section. She just purchased her first summer home in Annapolis. She has an inside track to the White House and is considered to be a "Go-To" woman by Michelle Obama. She sat at the table next to the President's table at the Illinois inaugural ball. She is extremely charming, knows how to command a room, and never wants for a clever retort. It is rumored that she dated Taye Diggs and Denzel Washington at one point. She dumped both of them.

Meet Girl B

She's 27 years old. She graduated from the University of Arizona, no honors, majoring in Art History. She used to be a curator, but when the museum's endowment took a plunge during the recession, she was laid off. She has been out of work ever since and currently does temp work, although her goal is to one day start an art school of her own for underprivileged urban children. She ran out of savings and had to move into her mother's basement. She is funny, but rather reserved, and often gets tongue-tied when she gets nervous. She is not comfortable in large crowds and sometimes looks down when speaking to strangers. She watched the Illinois inaugural ball at home with her girlfriends. She has not had a boyfriend in 5 years. He inexplicably dumped her for a fat girl.

So, a handsome, charming 38-year old successful businessman tells his female friend that he's looking to get married. She introduces him to Girl A and Girl B, but she warns him that he can only go on a date with one because both girls are members of the same sorority, attend all of the meetings, and serve on the same committee. Which girl do you think he will pick?
Girl B she bad as hell that's a no brainer cuz

Old 10-01-2010, 01:12 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,386,339 times
Quote:
That is the PC cop out answer because I've already controlled for that by saying that she knows very little about either man. She doesn't have enough information to say, "Oh, I think he'd make a good father," or "He's honest." All the woman has is a few observations of the men engaging in social settings across a room and her girlfriend's description of their jobs and money. Plus, she's making a decision about which man to go out on a date with, not which man to marry (although the date is basically an interview for the big show).
some women don't care about high status. Look at it this way, why do plenty of low social-class men and women get dates? they generally source them in like settings. High status people generally stick to the same.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:37 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,201,354 times
Quote:
Oh really? I believe that modern observation, history, and science support this FACT.

Hourglass Figures Affect Men's Brains Like a Drug | LiveScience

The hourglass figure is truly timeless - life - 10 January 2007 - New Scientist

Pretty Woman's Face Is Just Like Cocaine To Male Brain

So I guess your answer to my hypo is Girl A?

Clearly, if there are huge numbers of women that are willing to sleep with them, then they find these narcisstic men attractive. Whether they provide a good lay or not is a different question.
You are going to make statements of fact with yammerings of scientific support while quoting rense? Really?

Keep in mind that while there is no short supply of dregs, they're not poster children for either gender.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships