Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2010, 06:00 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,628,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
You should celebrate life everyday. Maybe you just need to hang out with Oprah.
Very true, but how many do so? We should also give thanks every day, but unless we're saying grace or mention it in our prayers we don't. We should celebrate our independence every day...it goes on and on, doesn't it?

I'd LOVE to hang with The Big O if it meant my book sales would take off. I even have a catchy nickname - "Dr. Phil". Think she'd go for that?

Old 11-08-2010, 06:03 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,437,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Very true, but how many do so? We should also give thanks every day, but unless we're saying grace or mention it in our prayers we don't. We should celebrate our independence every day...it goes on and on, doesn't it?

I'd LOVE to hang with The Big O if it meant my book sales would take off. I even have a catchy nickname - "Dr. Phil". Think she'd go for that?
No. Last I heard she doesn't like Dr.Phil anymore. But maybe she'll like you just because your name is Phil?

Old 11-08-2010, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
No. Last I heard she doesn't like Dr.Phil anymore. But maybe she'll like you just because your name is Phil?
Maybe! They could introduce me like that ad for pork-

"Here's Dr. Phil - the OTHER white Phil!"

Old 11-08-2010, 06:15 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,184,604 times
Quote:
Funny how we have so many holidays that celebrate death in one form or another, but so few celebrating life...
I wouldn't say it celebrates death per se - it celebrates the memory of loved ones. Now, this particular tradition I don't quite get, but it's their way of doing it...

Btw, you guys changed the clocks yesterday, right? In summer the folks on the East coast are almost ready to go to sleep when I get home from work.

OK, I managed to post a second after you, lol! Things are getting better!;-)

Old 11-08-2010, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I wouldn't say it celebrates death per se - it celebrates the memory of loved ones. Now, this particular tradition I don't quite get, but it's their way of doing it...
Well, "memory" means they're gone, right? Dead? So you're "celebrating their death" in a way. Sort of an Alice in Wonderland kind of thing...

"A very Happy Un-Birthday to you!"

What, do they also sing "Happy Death Day to You..."

Quote:
Btw, you guys changed the clocks yesterday, right? In summer the folks on the East coast are almost ready to go to sleep when I get home from work.
Yeah, and as usual everyone spazzed out about it again. "Oh, I'm an hour late because I forgot to set my clock"..."Oh, I'm SO mixed up with this time change"...

Deal with it, people. It isn't rocket science.

Quote:
OK, I managed to post a second after you, lol! Things are getting better!;-)
I'll feel much safer when that interval increases to something like...oh...let's say, 3 weeks.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:43 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,184,604 times
Quote:
Well, "memory" means they're gone, right? Dead? So you're "celebrating their death" in a way. Sort of an Alice in Wonderland kind of thing...

"A very Happy Un-Birthday to you!"

What, do they also sing "Happy Death Day to You..."
Well, on the day my parents passed away I like giving treats to people. It's like giving it to them... Not that you ever forget, but it's just time to remember...

Quote:
I'll feel much safer when that interval increases to something like...oh...let's say, 3 weeks.
Afraid that second only happened 'cause I added the clock comment.

You can certainly increase the interval by pulling a disappearing act again. The latest record was what... a year...

Old 11-08-2010, 06:44 AM

37,626 posts, read 46,026,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Speaking of flowers , I went to the All Souls Procession tonight (the Mexican day of the dead). I'd never made it to it before as I thought it was just a Mexican thing and didn't expect much... It turned out to be quite elaborate and went on for good 40 minutes - it sure beat Halloween! Downtown was dead on Halloween!

Some people carry pictures of deceased loved ones. I think I saw more pictures of dogs than of people and those carrying them were in their 50's and 60's - in other words, they must've lost human loved ones, too.
All Soul's Day is a public holiday in Guam. I don't remember any parades, but there were lots of celebrations all over the island. Kind of a neat holiday I always thought.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:49 AM

37,626 posts, read 46,026,601 times
Quote:
Funny how we have so many holidays that celebrate death in one form or another, but so few celebrating life...
Celebrating life and remembering those that have passed, is exactly what All Souls Day does.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Celebrating life and remembering those that have passed, is exactly what All Souls Day does.
From my understanding of it, All Souls Day is a Christian holiday that is devoted to saying prayers for those who died without first being cleansed of their venal sins.

I don't see a lot of non-secular celebration of life in that.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:48 AM

1,057 posts, read 2,012,410 times
Wow, everybody is all thoughtful and new-agey around here lately. I love it! I was thinking about your resemblance to the other Dr. Phil the other day, Sifu, when I read your post to the guy who fears rejection. Dr. Phil has a saying, "If you're gonna play the what-if game, play it all the way to the end." Like "what if this girl rejects me? Then I'll feel bad. What if I feel bad? Then I'll probably eat a quart of ice cream and watch a sad movie. What if I do that? The next day I'll get up and work out..." ad nauseum. I thought it was a helpful little reminder that the worst isn't always the worst.

As far as holiday to celebrate "life"... you're right, not enough of them... So I tend to (inappropriately) celebrate the small things. This past weekend was The First Day I got To Wear A Sweater And Boots. We rode horses, had a bonfire in the neighborhood. And I often celebrate birthdays of people who have been influential to me, but who don't necessarily get holidays. The Dalai Lama, Bob Marley... any excuse to have cake and a little party...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships