Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2010, 10:42 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
"On November 2nd each year, the Island of Guam takes a day to remember those who have gone before us. It is a beautiful day when families and friends come to Guam Memorial Park to attend our All Souls’ Day mass celebration and to spend the day remembering their loved ones."
I don't get Guam of all places... I'm not even sure if it's a Catholic thing as I don't believe other Catholic countries do the same processions (at least not dressed like that).

Old 11-08-2010, 10:50 AM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
Hawk as ususal your pictures are stunning!!

Well so far the tv return has been very smooth. Fed ex came a day later and picked up tv and Wallyworld has already started the return/exchange process so I'm happy. I'm thinking I might have the replacement tv this week so thats good. Also, the reason why I didn't go to Best Buy is because it was such a good deal and BB is a rip off.

Work is going to be crazy with the holidays coming up. We're by a mall so we're expecting to get alot of traffic from it. Weather is still great so I'm happy about that. My ex is in town in 2 days. I still have no idea if we are getting together as we haven't spoken since our text fight on the 25th..However, I'm off work and looking as festive as ever just in case

Old 11-08-2010, 11:00 AM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I don't get Guam of all places... I'm not even sure if it's a Catholic thing as I don't believe other Catholic countries do the same processions (at least not dressed like that).
It is definitely a HUGE holiday there...lots of signs and flowers...and special ceremonies held. Like I said, I don't remember any parades, but that doesn't mean that some processions were/are not held. This holiday is celebrated all over, in many countries...in many different ways. And it's been around a long long time...check this link out.

Holidays: All Souls' Day

Old 11-08-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
It is definitely a HUGE holiday there...lots of signs and flowers...and special ceremonies held. Like I said, I don't remember any parades, but that doesn't mean that some processions were/are not held. This holiday is celebrated all over, in many countries...in many different ways. And it's been around a long long time...check this link out.

Holidays: All Souls' Day
I meant the skeleton/skull-type attire, but apparently you weren't talking about that.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I meant the skeleton/skull-type attire, but apparently you weren't talking about that.
Oh...no I wasn't. Actually, maybe that attire lends itself more to the "Day of the Dead" celebrations...rather than the All Souls Day. I know they are related, but they are not exactly the same thing. Perhaps the All Soul's day is the one based in religion, and the other is based in...who knows....?

Old 11-08-2010, 12:29 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,815,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Well, I figured I have to balance out my bad karma here. Besides, mean people suck!

Ah, thank you. Although, I think I'm more like Dr. Phil on a bad acid trip watching The Three Stooges.

I've used that particular technique plenty of times - like when Sierra first contacted me here on C-D. I said to myself, "Well, Self, what's the worst thing that could happen?"

...boy, was I ever off.

Ha, ha - I do the same thing! Since I don't really celebrate traditional holidays I either make them up or observe some of the more arcane ones...
  • Jethro Tull's (Ian Anderson) Birthday
  • The Day I Lost My Virginity Day
  • Mistress Day (and of course Master Day)
  • Lao Tzu's Birthday (since no one knows for sure, it's a floating holiday)
  • Caturday (play with cats all day)
  • International Female Form Appreciation Week
  • Talk Like A Pirate Day (and my add-on - Plunder Like A Pirate Day)
  • National Roadkill Week
  • ThankStripping (a day of giving thanks for strippers)
  • Psycho Psaturday
  • 4/20 (Google it )
That's just the short list - I have 52 of them, so at least I can have cake and a party every week.
Ha! I didn't even have to Google 4/20! Or 4:20 or 420 friendly, or....

Yeah, I gotcha. I mean, once upon a time I gotcha...

Old 11-08-2010, 12:37 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,622,832 times
Quote:
"On November 2nd each year, the Island of Guam takes a day to remember those who have gone before us. It is a beautiful day when families and friends come to Guam Memorial Park to attend our All Souls’ Day mass celebration and to spend the day remembering their loved ones."

I don't think that everyone that observes the day, is doing it as a religous thing. Though that is certainly the origin of it, many people no longer make that attachment. That was the impression that I got while there.
So does that mean that we're free to celebrate a holiday ("Holy Day") any way we desire? I can now celebrate Christmas as the day that Aaron Silverstein of Nazareth was born? Doesn't that detract from the meaning of the day?

I understand that All Soul's Day has different interpretations - the Chinese equivalent is Qingming, the Tomb-Sweeping holiday where they pay respects to their ancestors - but at what point does the holiday lose it's meaning? Or is it like so many other things - it's been co-opted by others, given its own special meaning and proclaimed the "real" version of it?

Is this just another "There are many Truths"? If so, how sad...

Quote:
And as far as celebrating life and giving thanks every day....why do you assume that others do not do so? Really. I think you might be surprised to know how many people actually do express these thoughts in some way, very often, if not every single day.
I don't assume anything of the kind. I'm only saying that holidays involving remembrance or death seem to outnumber those that joyfully celebrate our here-and-now life.

It's possible that many people do express these thoughts, but once again they seem to be in the minority; at least, they don't get the press that the "accepted" holidays get. Is it commercialization? Catering to the masses? Comfort in group-think activities?

Old 11-08-2010, 12:47 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neemy View Post
Ha! I didn't even have to Google 4/20! Or 4:20 or 420 friendly, or....

Yeah, I gotcha. I mean, once upon a time I gotcha...

They used to sell a pet pot.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
So does that mean that we're free to celebrate a holiday ("Holy Day") any way we desire? ?
Frankly, I think you already are. And you can even ignore it altogether.

Quote:
I'm only saying that holidays involving remembrance or death seem to outnumber those that joyfully celebrate our here-and-now life.

It's possible that many people do express these thoughts, but once again they seem to be in the minority; at least, they don't get the press that the "accepted" holidays get. Is it commercialization? Catering to the masses? Comfort in group-think activities?
Perhaps the "crappiness" just gets more press. I do think you seem to have a rather dismal perspective of things. What the heck ails ya?

Old 11-08-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
I'm only saying that holidays involving remembrance or death seem to outnumber those that joyfully celebrate our here-and-now life.
Since almost nobody does it these days, I give ya permission to celebrate Dec 27th! It's not the greatest life out there, but I'm still alive and kicking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.