Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2010, 08:29 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,628,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellfire View Post
Wow, everybody is all thoughtful and new-agey around here lately. I love it!
Well, I figured I have to balance out my bad karma here. Besides, mean people suck!

Quote:
I was thinking about your resemblance to the other Dr. Phil the other day, Sifu, when I read your post to the guy who fears rejection. Dr. Phil has a saying, "If you're gonna play the what-if game, play it all the way to the end." Like "what if this girl rejects me? Then I'll feel bad. What if I feel bad? Then I'll probably eat a quart of ice cream and watch a sad movie. What if I do that? The next day I'll get up and work out..." ad nauseum. I thought it was a helpful little reminder that the worst isn't always the worst.
Ah, thank you. Although, I think I'm more like Dr. Phil on a bad acid trip watching The Three Stooges.

I've used that particular technique plenty of times - like when Sierra first contacted me here on C-D. I said to myself, "Well, Self, what's the worst thing that could happen?"

...boy, was I ever off.

Quote:
As far as holiday to celebrate "life"... you're right, not enough of them... So I tend to (inappropriately) celebrate the small things. This past weekend was The First Day I got To Wear A Sweater And Boots. We rode horses, had a bonfire in the neighborhood. And I often celebrate birthdays of people who have been influential to me, but who don't necessarily get holidays. The Dalai Lama, Bob Marley... any excuse to have cake and a little party...
Ha, ha - I do the same thing! Since I don't really celebrate traditional holidays I either make them up or observe some of the more arcane ones...
  • Jethro Tull's (Ian Anderson) Birthday
  • The Day I Lost My Virginity Day
  • Mistress Day (and of course Master Day)
  • Lao Tzu's Birthday (since no one knows for sure, it's a floating holiday)
  • Caturday (play with cats all day)
  • International Female Form Appreciation Week
  • Talk Like A Pirate Day (and my add-on - Plunder Like A Pirate Day)
  • National Roadkill Week
  • ThankStripping (a day of giving thanks for strippers)
  • Psycho Psaturday
  • 4/20 (Google it )
That's just the short list - I have 52 of them, so at least I can have cake and a party every week.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:47 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,184,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
I've used that particular technique plenty of times - like when Sierra first contacted me here on C-D. I said to myself, "Well, Self, what's the worst thing that could happen?"

...boy, was I ever off.
Good Lord, you make a simple message about the moderation sound like an offer for a massage with happy ending.

Besides, you should've known better than that considering our interaction here started with a fight as soon as you showed up.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:55 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,568,138 times
Quote:
Well, I figured I have to balance out my bad karma here.
4/20 (Google it )
Celebrating Hitlers birthday aint gonna balance the karma
April 20th, 1889: Adolf Hitler is born.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Good Lord, you make a simple message about the moderation sound like an offer for a massage with happy ending.
Bad Buddha, you make a simple joke sound like a desperate cry for companionship

Quote:
Besides, you should've known better than that considering our interaction here started with a fight as soon as you showed up.
...and has proven that there is at least ONE thing in the universe that does NOT change...ever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode
Celebrating Hitlers birthday aint gonna balance the karma

April 20th, 1889: Adolf Hitler is born.

OK...the NEXT one on Google's list...

Old 11-08-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Bad Buddha, you make a simple joke sound like a desperate cry for companionship
Bad Tao, not everybody is that deep into our weird "ways."

Quote:
...and has proven that there is at least ONE thing in the universe that does NOT change...ever...
That?

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/female-bully-1.jpg

Old 11-08-2010, 09:56 AM

17,639 posts, read 22,650,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellfire View Post
Wow, everybody is all thoughtful and new-agey around here lately. I love it! I was thinking about your resemblance to the other Dr. Phil the other day, Sifu, when I read your post to the guy who fears rejection. Dr. Phil has a saying, "If you're gonna play the what-if game, play it all the way to the end." Like "what if this girl rejects me? Then I'll feel bad. What if I feel bad? Then I'll probably eat a quart of ice cream and watch a sad movie. What if I do that? The next day I'll get up and work out..." ad nauseum. I thought it was a helpful little reminder that the worst isn't always the worst.

As far as holiday to celebrate "life"... you're right, not enough of them... So I tend to (inappropriately) celebrate the small things. This past weekend was The First Day I got To Wear A Sweater And Boots. We rode horses, had a bonfire in the neighborhood. And I often celebrate birthdays of people who have been influential to me, but who don't necessarily get holidays. The Dalai Lama, Bob Marley... any excuse to have cake and a little party...

Yellfire, you have been missed darlin'.
Where have you been ??

Old 11-08-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Bad Tao, not everybody is that deep into our weird "ways."
OK, OK - I've been verbally spanked enough.

Quote:
That?
What else are pigtails for?

Old 11-08-2010, 09:59 AM

17,639 posts, read 22,650,514 times
Quote:
Sifu Who...? Oh, that dude I was playing verbal ping-pong with in the morning!

Maybe I should tone it down 'cause I may end up like the character in one of my all-time favorite movies. It's an old USSR movie - Табор Уходит в Небо. MM may be familiar with it. It's available on amazon - Amazon.com: Gypsies Go to Heaven / Tabor uhodit v nebo: Emil Lotyanu, Grigore Grigoriu, Svetlana Toma, Pavel Andreichenko, Lialya Chornaya: Movies & TV - and I highly recommend it to all free and wanna-be free souls! There is a version with English subtitles. Of course, it's not likely to touch you the same way, but it's a pretty exotic, lush, and unusual film for foreigners to see. If nothing else, the actress is absolutely gorgeous!

Can't find a video with the end itself right now...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2aog3PuDqg

She is very beautiful.

I've always thought Liv Tyler is very beautiful also.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
OK, OK - I've been verbally spanked enough.
True. Time for real practice!

Quote:
What else are pigtails for?
So it is THAT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
She is very beautiful.
I think so.

Quote:
I've always thought Liv Tyler is very beautiful also.
She won't age well as she isn't classically beautiful (the Math ain't right), but she's fine for now.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:39 AM

37,626 posts, read 46,026,601 times
Quote:
From my understanding of it, All Souls Day is a Christian holiday that is devoted to saying prayers for those who died without first being cleansed of their venal sins.

I don't see a lot of non-secular celebration of life in that.
"On November 2nd each year, the Island of Guam takes a day to remember those who have gone before us. It is a beautiful day when families and friends come to Guam Memorial Park to attend our All Souls’ Day mass celebration and to spend the day remembering their loved ones."

I don't think that everyone that observes the day, is doing it as a religous thing. Though that is certainly the origin of it, many people no longer make that attachment. That was the impression that I got while there.

And as far as celebrating life and giving thanks every day....why do you assume that others do not do so? Really. I think you might be surprised to know how many people actually do express these thoughts in some way, very often, if not every single day.

Last edited by ChessieMom; 11-08-2010 at 10:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships