Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 09:01 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,763,018 times

Advertisements

Do we know Kim?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 10:15 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,215,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Sorry, I don't have specific stats to cite, as such...but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that in regions like D.C., New England, and NY / NJ / etc., there are going to be way, *way* more marriages at 25-30+ than at 18-20 or thereabouts...just simple common sense and economics. In the South or something like that, ppl may well marry younger, but that is simply not the same as comparing 18-20 somethings who marry in Alabama, with say people the same age who marry in New York...simply not an apples to apples comparison...
The states in the north have lower divorce rates compared to states in the south due to age as one of the factors. So, I don't really understand what you're saying here. SES, education, and age play serious roles in the health of marriage. People that marry younger tend to be poorer and less educated. It's all intertwined. Here's an article you might enjoy about my home state.

Boston globe

Old 03-20-2012, 10:18 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,768,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
From Divorce Rate : Divorce Rate In America

Age at marriage for those who divorce in America

Under 20 years old 27.6% 11.7%
20 to 24 years old 36.6% 38.8%
25 to 29 years old 16.4% 22.3%
30 to 34 years old 8.5% 11.6%
35 to 39 years old 5.1% 6.5%

Looking at this it shows that younger at the age of marriage shows a higher chance of divorce.

The current trend is closer to 40% rate of failure.

For some more reading:
Myth Buster Monday:

The 50% might have been a relic of the 70s. However that is 33 year old data.
But the stats do not take into account different USA-based geographical regions, do they? For example, Southwest vs. South vs. Mid-West vs. Mid-Atlantic vs. Northeast Corridor? I know I for one would be very interesting in seeing a stats breakdown that omits the Southern demographics from the picture (which I believe more heavily skews and propels younger marriages into the negative territory), and which I would assume constitutes a much larger number of younger marriages than the Mid-Atlantic or the Northeast USA...

Old 03-20-2012, 12:29 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,768,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
The states in the north have lower divorce rates compared to states in the south due to age as one of the factors. So, I don't really understand what you're saying here. SES, education, and age play serious roles in the health of marriage. People that marry younger tend to be poorer and less educated. It's all intertwined. Here's an article you might enjoy about my home state.

Boston globe
Thanks for the helpful link Braunwyn!

I guess I was just speculating that younger 18-20 couples who get married in Northeast might be less likely to divorce than in the South, if anything because the Northeast average standard of living is somewhat higher than in the South?

Last edited by Phoenix2017; 03-20-2012 at 12:38 PM.. Reason: Corrected typo

Old 03-20-2012, 12:35 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,504,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
No, it's wrong. Divorce rates have been going down since 1981 and they are now at their lowest rates since 1970. Huckleberry is a notorious liar about this issue. He has his reasons but I don't know them.
huck is happy to provide links on all stats that he has provided.
no he is not a liar, but says stuff that u dont like hearing.
the women's movement has put its own spin on family and marriage favoring stats that benefit them and present a favorable picture of the movement.
your speech on marriage and family sounds very much like mr obama's claims for the economy and his administration.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:34 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,438,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
huck is happy to provide links on all stats that he has provided.
no he is not a liar, but says stuff that u dont like hearing.
the women's movement has put its own spin on family and marriage favoring stats that benefit them and present a favorable picture of the movement.
your speech on marriage and family sounds very much like mr obama's claims for the economy and his administration.
Huck, love ya, bro.
But all the women's movement did is make sure that women didn't have to be trapped in their unhappy marriages anymore. If that increased the divorce rate, then so be it.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:45 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,461,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
You are not analyzing the statistics correctly. The main thing you need to realize that in any given year or decade, the marriages that are being entered into aren't the same marriages that are being dissolved through divorce. This is the main flaw in the arguments of people who use today's divorce rate to predict the likelihood of future divorces. And so: people who got married in the 1950's didn't divorce in the 1950's -- they divorced in the 1960's and the 1970's, when the divorce rate skyrocketed. Given the fact that people in the 1950's married considerably younger than in the previous decades of the 20th century, this would support the proposition that the age of the parties at marriage is correlated with the divorce rate.

Second, divorce rates have been declining for 30 years -- and when broken down by age group, it is clear that the younger the parties are at the time of marriage, the more likely they are to divorce.

Third, divorce statistics are overinclusive, in that they lump together marriages of different duration. If someone files for divorce a year after getting marriage, it's safe to say without qualification that that marriage is a failure. But what about a marriage that lasted 15-20 years? In all likelihood, it's a marriage that's seen both good and bad times, and though it did end in divorce, it's not quite in the same category as the first example.

That's because age isn't the only factor.

On the other hand, the lowest divorce rates are in MA, where people tend to marry a lot later. You also don't take into account the provenance of the Utah statistics -- because if it has particularly tough divorce laws, all an unhappy couple has to do is drive to Nevada. It isn't far.

How about you use direct statistics? Like, what are the divorce rates for people who get married between the ages of 18 and 23, versus people who get married after, say 28?
Redisca's posts should be printed in neat sturdy books and be handed around like bibles. Her absence on this forum is sorely missed.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:47 AM

27,955 posts, read 39,828,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
But the stats do not take into account different USA-based geographical regions, do they? For example, Southwest vs. South vs. Mid-West vs. Mid-Atlantic vs. Northeast Corridor? I know I for one would be very interesting in seeing a stats breakdown that omits the Southern demographics from the picture (which I believe more heavily skews and propels younger marriages into the negative territory), and which I would assume constitutes a much larger number of younger marriages than the Mid-Atlantic or the Northeast USA...

You sure your preconceived notions are not clouding your opinion? You assume that southern states everyone gets married at 19 and lives to a ripe of old age together. The other, and more plausible notions is, if they do marry at a young age the rates are just as high if not higher.

It doesn't cast things in a negative light, like you assert.

The first chart shows divorce rate highest among the 22 to 24 group. No matter how you dice it up shows younger marriages have a high chance of failure.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:41 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,368,379 times
Truly, all the stats in the world do not really factor in the individual personalities, and it all comes down to just 2 things: desire to make it work and a true belief in the institution.
If you truly possess those things, divorce does not HAVE to happen. Period.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:59 AM

2,028 posts, read 1,890,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
good catch its not age sensitive in fact for 2nd round older people divorce goes up 12 percent.
btw the actual rate of divorce is 67% not 50%.
why so high why not low? changes in the law have made divorce advantageous for women $$$, 70% of filing is by women. men should never never marry w/o a prenup.
they should be coaching their sons and nephews on this.
prenup dont leave home w/o it.
that will make divorce go back to what it was before no fault.
With your position on divorce, I don't get why you're always advocating for prenups. Haven't you heard of pre-nups being broken by courts?

Is it not better to have a ceremony-only marriage in a non-common law state, or just not getting married at all?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships