Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 11:15 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,302,233 times

Advertisements

AND we have another thread that makes me so GLAD I am not dating...It sounds like an uncomfortable maze.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 11:55 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,858,180 times
I would be uncomfortable with making a lady pay. I would prefer to pay a dinner bill. But thats just me.

Old 07-07-2007, 12:15 AM

4,273 posts, read 15,259,615 times
ertily - If it were me, I would've gone dutch. The way I see it is, if you waited for her to come back, split the bill, and looked like a tight-wad, at least you would've left only paying half and you'd never see her again. If you waited for her to pay, looked like a tight-wad, you would've gotten a freen dinner. Since you paid the whole thing, you look generous but if you two never got together again, you paid for two meals. IMO, as the woman, I would've paid my half.

Old 07-07-2007, 12:24 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,858,180 times
Dinner...x amount of dollars. Wine (or whatever)...x amount of dollars. Having a date to have dinner with...priceless.

Old 07-07-2007, 02:00 AM

1,655 posts, read 3,399,923 times
You're a gentleman, Rance, that's why you wouldn't let a lady pay

Old 07-07-2007, 02:42 AM

356 posts, read 1,180,265 times
Lightbulb Old school thoughts.....

Old fashioned I guess, but before I got married alot of the women I dated were single parents. Bacause of this, knowing money can be tight, I always paid, and would often catch the babysitter. When invited over for Sunday afternoon football I would offer to pick up pizza/chicken etc.. If we hit it off I would also suggest dinner and moive with the kids, my treat. This is not because I felt I had to, it was because I wanted to and could afford it. Being a single parent myself I understood the budget breaker a date could be for some. I was blessed with a good job and a dinner/moive was not a financial burden for the week. Money is made to be spent not just saved.

Life is short, you had a good afternoon, don't let the price of one meal ruin it.

Old 07-07-2007, 02:44 AM

356 posts, read 1,180,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Dinner...x amount of dollars. Wine (or whatever)...x amount of dollars.
Quote:
Having a date to have dinner with...priceless
Exactly.....

Old 07-07-2007, 10:14 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,480,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashcop View Post
Old fashioned I guess, but before I got married alot of the women I dated were single parents. Bacause of this, knowing money can be tight, I always paid, and would often catch the babysitter.
That's a good point, Crashcop. Even if the women were not single mothers and just single working women, chances are good that they made less money than you did (statistically-speaking), so I think there is still a place for this "old-fashioned" notion .

Old 07-07-2007, 01:17 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,336,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ertily View Post
I would be interested to hear how others feel about this....
After talking with a woman for a while (yes online dating), she suggested we get together over the 4th. I agreed and we had a few good hours hiking and talking. She brought up dinner and said she was hungy. I agreed and we went to a nearby chain restaurant and had a good dinner. Anyway, when the check arrives she conveniently has to go to the rest room and I, not wanting to look like a cheapskate, pay the whole bill. Now, I always believed that if I asked a woman out then I would pay for dinner, but this was different and I feel somewhat taken back. It was her idea to get together and her idea for dinner. I would have been content to let things go at that. OTher women I have been out with have always out of courtesy offered to at least pay the tip. IT seems to me no matter what I would do, it would have made me look like a tightwad or cheapskate. You know, if I would have said beforehand - "lets split the bill and your share is __". It was not a matter of her financial standing either. Somehow the woman's movement has not caught up in this area.
I am not sure what the women's movement has to do with this. This seems more like a case of failure to communicate. U r right if u didn't pay the bill it would make u come across as cheap. However, I don't know if u have avoided that. U didn't pay for the dinner because u wanted to. U did it for appearance sake and now u r complaining about it. She may have suggested dinner, but u could have declined or at that time said "sure lets go dutch" or "is it your treat?" U should not feel bad because u paid for a lady's dinner afterall u said u liked her and enjoyed spending the time with her. U never know what benefit u may reap.

Old 07-07-2007, 01:22 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,336,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
I would be uncomfortable with making a lady pay. I would prefer to pay a dinner bill. But thats just me.
Hey u sound like a guy with his head on straight And a man after my own heart...when do we eat?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships