Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 09:26 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,640,926 times

Advertisements

Okay, I think this concept of two parents who aren't really in love with each other or don't get along but have a child and decide to remain together for the sake of the child is overrated and even quite dumb. Just so you readers know I'm not going through anything like this; but know friends and family members who have and who did go through it. 100% of those relationships either ended with a dysfunctional family because the parents can't get along for beans or the parents end up separating regardless because of they just decided its better off that way.

I grew up without my father in my life and to be honest, I can't imagine it any other way. My father was a crappy father and my mother tried to be with him for the sake of me when I was a child but my the relationship between my parents just wasn't worth them being together since there was nothing but fighting going on. I had other men in my life who were father figures to me and I ended up being fine and maybe much better than if my father was in my life.

It bothers me when I see two people who don't love each other but stay together because they think it'll send the child a "wrong message"about family values. Right now, I have a friend who knocked up this girl he's only known for 2 months and they are getting married and another friend who's pregnant with her on and off again boyfriend who she at the moment can't imagine being with him because he causes too much trouble for her. They both want to be with the person they had the baby with because they think its best for the child.

I personally just feel that's a silly thing to do for reasons mentioned in the first paragraph and I think a child can be completely happy if their parents aren't together. Its not about being together, it's about just simply being a good parents regardless what the situation may be.

That's just my two cents though, what are yours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 10:14 PM

30,360 posts, read 51,964,073 times
I have a friend who's going through this, and I told him pretty much what you said above. He got his then-girlfriend pregnant when she was only 19 (he was almost 30), and decided to "do the right thing" and marry her... 11 years and one more child later they're still married, but it's more like a friendship than a marriage. According to him they have sex maybe once or twice a year, and he's even set up his own bedroom in the basement. The love is gone, but for some reason he refuses to let go - mostly because he had a horrible father, and wants to give his children the "stable family" he never had. But how healthy is a household where the parents don't love each other? He's asked me for advice many times, and I always tell him exactly this... not sure why I bother, since he obviously won't leave until the kids are grown & moved out. Gonna be a LONG time, since the younger kid is only 3 years old!

Old 11-28-2010, 10:24 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,663,697 times
Some men are very devoted to their children, and they refuse to be away from them no matter what the circumstances. I am in this category; my marriage is horrible, but I will not allow my children to grow up without me. It's for their benefit, but it is also for my benefit.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:29 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,213,958 times
I’m sorry but I have to admit this kind of stuff just adds to my reasons why I don’t think I want to have children.

I never want to have to live in an unhappy, passionless marriage for my entire life for the sake of my children. What a miserable existence.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:30 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,007,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Some men are very devoted to their children, and they refuse to be away from them no matter what the circumstances. I am in this category; my marriage is horrible, but I will not allow my children to grow up without me. It's for their benefit, but it is also for my benefit.
We have talked about this, and I think it is unfortunate that so many people believe that staying together in a miserable environment does not impact a child. A child knows, no matter how well you think you hide it, he/she is affected by your relationship.

I can't imagine how guilty a child would feel at 18 when dad leaves and he finds out his parents were unhappily married for 18 years for his sake.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
We have talked about this, and I think it is unfortunate that so many people believe that staying together in a miserable environment does not impact a child. A child knows, no matter how well you think you hide it, he/she is affected by your relationship.

I can't imagine how guilty a child would feel at 18 when dad leaves and he finds out his parents were unhappily married for 18 years for his sake.
I am not unhappily married for my kids' sake - I stay in the marriage because I want to be with them, but I am not blaming THEM for my misery. I am blaming my wife for making our lives miserable.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
I am not unhappily married for my kids' sake - I stay in the marriage because I want to be with them, but I am not blaming THEM for my misery. I am blaming my wife for making our lives miserable.
I did not say that you were blaming them.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
I did not say that you were blaming them.
I clarified that in order to make it plain that I'm not trying to make my kids feel guilty for any reason. How would they feel if they didn't have me around because their parents' marriage sucked?

Old 11-28-2010, 10:59 PM

30,360 posts, read 51,964,073 times
Quote:
They can still feel your misery, and that affects a child's emotional state in the long run. Trust me, I saw this with my own eyes! My parents were happy for maybe the first 10 years, and then it started to go downhill quite fast. We (my siblings & I) were 100% aware of their marital problems, even though they were wonderful parents to us. They finally got divorced when I was 20, and my brother was the only child still at home... we were sad about the divorce, but actually quite relieved to no longer deal with their misery secondhand. It changed our family, of course, but we're still close to both parents - who are much happier now in their new lives & relationships (my dad is remarried and my mom has a long-term boyfriend). So it does affect the children, and sometimes it's better to have parents who are HAPPILY living apart but still involved in parenting.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:02 PM

Quote:
I clarified that in order to make it plain that I'm not trying to make my kids feel guilty for any reason. How would they feel if they didn't have me around because their parents' marriage sucked?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
They can still feel your misery, and that affects a child's emotional state in the long run. Trust me, I saw this with my own eyes! My parents were happy for maybe the first 10 years, and then it started to go downhill quite fast. We (my siblings & I) were 100% aware of their marital problems, even though they were wonderful parents to us. They finally got divorced when I was 20, and my brother was the only child still at home... we were sad about the divorce, but actually quite relieved to no longer deal with their misery secondhand. It changed our family, of course, but we're still close to both parents - who are much happier now in their new lives & relationships (my dad is remarried and my mom has a long-term boyfriend). So it does affect the children, and sometimes it's better to have parents who are HAPPILY living apart but still involved in parenting.
There you have it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships