Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 01:10 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times

Advertisements

Frankly, the attractiveness of the men is going down too in an identical way to the one assigned to women here: Men are getting fatter and fatter and fatter.

Not ALL men, obviously. But if you're worrying about general trends, think about that one, too. Do you think we women have anything less to worry about along these lines in what men we'll be able to "choose from" in the future?

Maybe we all just need to make a concerted effort to be healthier. But in the meantime, I'm sorry to put it this way...You say there will be lines of men vying for the attention of the very beautiful girls...well, if the majority of those men are overweight themselves (a majority of men, even right now, is in fact overweight) then they don't really have ANY right to complain about how there are so few thin women...right?

Do you really envision, in the future, lots of very overweight men competing to get a model? How far do you think they'll get? I don't think this is as big a problem as you're making it out to be.

Also, if you "see" this happening regularly, then odds are you're being on the shallow side and going for all the "it girls"...and if you're picking a girl because she's "the hottest," don't you worry that she'll dump you once she finds something better? And there's always something better. None of us is perfect.

I think this is more about your viewpoint, and your choices, than real trends. I see TONS of pretty girls out there. I also see tons of gorgeous guys. (Especially here in SoCal...my God but do they grow handsome guys out here.) And yes. I see overweight people. I don't see huge, huge numbers of less-skinny girls (or guys, for that matter) who are all alone and looking miserable. So I really do think it's your POV...and your choices.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:11 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,371,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Oh, men flake too, esp if they're younger which is part of why the cougar thing doesn't interest me.

Speaking of which, all those overweight young ladies may explain why younger men are gravitating towards older women, or at least those older women who don't have as much of a weight problem. I went out with a group of 30 somethings the other night--1 man and about 4 women, all around 20 years younger than me. I was the thinnest female in the group by at least 40 lbs and I could stand to lose 20 lbs. The man didn't have a weight problem at all and he keeps asking me out. I'm hoping he's older than he looks but he can't be over 35 so I'm holding off on that.
Hi stepka,

That has been a staple in my social commentary. It is certainly helping to drive it.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:11 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,645,240 times
To the OP, I don't know what article you read, but it seems to me like things have leveled off. The percentage of the population that's overweight isn't decreasing, but I don't think it's increasing either. I still see the 2/3 figure that I've been seeing for the last decade. You say that as the population gets fatter, the attractiveness of the dating pool will decrease. But you have to keep in mind that what each of us finds attractive changes over time. When you're young, you tend to focus on looks. But as you get older, you realize that looks aren't everything and that other factors are just as important, at least if you're looking for a long-term partner. You'll be more forgiving about certain things like looks. I don't expect a woman in her 30s to look like one in her early 20s. Likewise, I don't care if she's divorced or even has kids. Those things would've made a huge difference back in my 20s.

The people who manage to stay in shape will have an easier time attracting people, but keeping them is a different story. I met one woman the other day in her late 30s. Very attractive, in great shape, single and no kids. I'm sure she gets approached by a lot of guys. But as I got to talking to her, I figured out why she was probably single. Her attitude. She was pretty full of herself. Looks fade, but an ugly personality doesn't.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:12 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
also there have been GREAT strides in controlling Obesity, I am a example of that!

Jonathan
Good for you!! Awesome!!!

Old 12-01-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Frankly, the attractiveness of the men is going down too in an identical way to the one assigned to women here: Men are getting fatter and fatter and fatter.

Not ALL men, obviously. But if you're worrying about general trends, think about that one, too. Do you think we women have anything less to worry about along these lines in what men we'll be able to "choose from" in the future?

Maybe we all just need to make a concerted effort to be healthier. But in the meantime, I'm sorry to put it this way...You say there will be lines of men vying for the attention of the very beautiful girls...well, if the majority of those men are overweight themselves (a majority of men, even right now, is in fact overweight) then they don't really have ANY right to complain about how there are so few thin women...right?

Do you really envision, in the future, lots of very overweight men competing to get a model? How far do you think they'll get? I don't think this is as big a problem as you're making it out to be.

Also, if you "see" this happening regularly, then odds are you're being on the shallow side and going for all the "it girls"...and if you're picking a girl because she's "the hottest," don't you worry that she'll dump you once she finds something better? And there's always something better. None of us is perfect.

I think this is more about your viewpoint, and your choices, than real trends. I see TONS of pretty girls out there. I also see tons of gorgeous guys. (Especially here in SoCal...my God but do they grow handsome guys out here.) And yes. I see overweight people. I don't see huge, huge numbers of less-skinny girls (or guys, for that matter) who are all alone and looking miserable. So I really do think it's your POV...and your choices.

Hi JerZ,

I can go into great detail as to why fat will fall harder on male contentment in the dating world. A man who is merely overweight can make up for it in any number of ways. Overweight men still aim for the kind of women other men want in terms of fitness, except for those with unusual tastes. This is not to say a personality is not desired, its just that women who look good are at the level of intoxicating.

Consider two religions. One gathers in a cathedral while the other gathers in the forest. Both may be quite zealous for their faith. However, if a storm comes to level the landscape, it is those that gather in the cathedral that will sing their lamentations. With the decline of the human temples, it is the men who mourn the most.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:20 PM

153 posts, read 273,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post

The people who manage to stay in shape will have an easier time attracting people, but keeping them is a different story. I met one woman the other day in her late 30s. Very attractive, in great shape, single and no kids. I'm sure she gets approached by a lot of guys. But as I got to talking to her, I figured out why she was probably single. Her attitude. She was pretty full of herself. Looks fade, but an ugly personality doesn't.
7 times out of 10, if the woman (or man) thinks they are the *****, they are going to come off like that. Many people, especially the really attractive ones and the ones who have their life in gear think their ***** don't stink. I know mine does, but many women I meet think their are the *****. I went out with one who was a doc, and considered herself a princess. Though, I did try for a second date, out of no where, she texts back I do not think this is going to work. Just said ciao.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:24 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,864,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilgamesh8 View Post
I read an article recently that was depressing. Basically it said that as the population continues to get fatter, the attractiveness of the dating pool will decrease . The few remaining girls who aren’t obese will have a never-ending line of suitors at the door. One of the main consequences of this will be even more flaking by attractive women. Even today flaking is an epidemic. Over the past 6 months i've been going out a lot. Even if I make out with a girl and she gives me her number I still had a high flake rate.

Flaking is basically when a girl (or guy) goes ghost after the initial contact. From Urban dictonary: to be unreliable, and/or absent-minded, flighty, fickle. Generally unresponsible. A person who uses inaccurate excuses to mask thier non appearance to events, person who says one thing but does another.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Ladies, do guys flake on you? Do you find this a problem as well?

Its crazy out there for the single men. There's a lot of competition out there especially with the rise of online dating. For every 1 attractive female there seems to be 50 guys trying to get her.

But on a positive note: Staying in shape should pay HUGE dividends in the future. With the increase in in obesity a fit body will be highly sought after.

What makes you think the guys won't either? Many of us women aren't into dating obese men any more than you are women.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
What makes you think the guys won't either? Many of us women aren't into dating obese men any more than you are women.

Hi paganmama80,

Have you visited the Lao thread? "Not with any bod" were some of the comments. Men can only go so far while a woman can make it all the way to Ultima Thule with a hot body.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:39 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,645,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intluser View Post
7 times out of 10, if the woman (or man) thinks they are the *****, they are going to come off like that. Many people, especially the really attractive ones and the ones who have their life in gear think their ***** don't stink. I know mine does, but many women I meet think their are the *****. I went out with one who was a doc, and considered herself a princess. Though, I did try for a second date, out of no where, she texts back I do not think this is going to work. Just said ciao.
I've noticed this a lot in my age group. The people who've managed to stay in shape more often than not have an inflated sense of self-worth. Maybe in their 20s, they were just average and didn't really stand out. But now that everyone else has gained weight, they feel like they rank higher among their peers.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:41 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,864,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Hi paganmama80,

Have you visited the Lao thread? "Not with any bod" were some of the comments. Men can only go so far while a woman can make it all the way to Ultima Thule with a hot body.

There are plenty of girls who like jerks and guys who act like douches my friend if he's hot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships