Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 01:45 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,240,207 times

Advertisements

It's all about supply and demand, there are many more single guys out there than single girls, so there's really no need for a girl to care much for her appearance. A girl can be 5'4" and 230 pounds but will still have multiple suitors due to the oversupply of single men.

Old 12-02-2010, 02:06 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,076,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
It's all about supply and demand, there are many more single guys out there than single girls, so there's really no need for a girl to care much for her appearance. A girl can be 5'4" and 230 pounds but will still have multiple suitors due to the oversupply of single men.
That makes mathematical sense (maybe in Utah, lol) ... I think that only applies to girls you notice, zoom zoom.

Even though there are equal numbers of single guys and girls - and sometimes more single girls (especially in places like SF) - it's nature for girls to be like this. If there's an oversupply of men, it's because men are double-dipping more often than women.

Last edited by Trimac20; 12-02-2010 at 02:31 AM..

Old 12-02-2010, 02:25 AM

153 posts, read 273,578 times
Quote:
Rather shoot myself nine times then jump off a building than tap that. Yuck! You made me throw up in my mouth.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:27 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,645,240 times
I agree with a previous poster who questioned whether the OP did in fact read an article that says Americans are getting fatter. The OP has yet to provide a link or name an actual source.

But let's assume the OP is correct and Americans as a percentage of the population are getting fatter. Does that mean single people will be forced to settle for someone fat because there won't be enough skinny people to go around? Not necessarily. Who says that everyone has to have a partner? If you don't like the pool of possibilities, you still have the option of remaining single. So this idea that girls aren't staying in shape because they know guys will still line up to date them is a bit ridiculous.

When you're young, being skinny or being with someone who's skinny is often about status. No one wants to feel like they "settled". But as you get older, your priorities change so maybe you'll be more forgiving when it comes to appearance.

Nowadays, if you describe yourself as average, you have to be careful. Average is a relative term. Are you average compared to everyone else? 2/3 of the population is classified as overweight. So if you're average, then what you're really saying is that you're overweight.

Let's say that being overweight does in fact become the new average. I don't think that necessarily means people will adjust their definition of attractiveness. Yes, a lot of what we deem attractive is a product of our culture. It used to be that being overweight was a sign of wealth and prosperity. If you were big, people assumed you were doing well and they found that attractive. Now people see weight as a sign that you don't take care of yourself, that you indulge in cheap fast food instead of paying for high quality food or a gym membership. So there's an element of class warfare going on there. But it's also true that a lot of what we find attractive is hard-wired into us because our brains are looking for signs of health. Even if 99% of the population is overweight, you'll still be able to tell who looks healthy and who doesn't.

Too often, the people who are in shape use their looks to cover up their ugly personalities. Or worse, they expect to be admired because of their looks and don't think they need to cultivate their other qualities. At least the physically unattractive person can develop other qualities. Looks fade and a lot of the people who were once attractive learn the hard way that they have little to fall back on.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:00 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,240,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
That makes mathematical sense (maybe in Utah, lol) ... I think that only applies to girls you notice, zoom zoom.

Even though there are equal numbers of single guys and girls - and sometimes more single girls (especially in places like SF) - it's nature for girls to be like this. If there's an oversupply of men, it's because men are double-dipping more often than women.
Take a look at the online dating sites in general. It's about a 3 or 4:1 ratio of men to women.

A lot of girls I know who are totally average in most respects have several guys pursuing them. The only guys I know of that have more than 1 woman pursuing them are either exceptionally good looking or wealthy.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:06 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,371,367 times
Quote:
Take a look at the online dating sites in general. It's about a 3 or 4:1 ratio of men to women.

A lot of girls I know who are totally average in most respects have several guys pursuing them. The only guys I know of that have more than 1 woman pursuing them are either exceptionally good looking or wealthy.

Hi zoomzoom3,

Which means that there are a lot of geeky nitwits who don't go where the women are. Men, by and large, can see a good prospect with a photograph. Women on the other hand need to see context and body language just to start. Its not a format they like for a number of reasons including personal safety.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:23 AM

3,440 posts, read 5,719,452 times
American society is entering an endless abyss of social isolation and radical individualism.

Dating here is already among the worst in the world.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:52 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,645,240 times
Quote:

This is a bad example. Online dating sites tend to have more men because men are expected to pursue. But don't take that to mean that the guys who are on there will suddenly lower their standards because there's more competition for the few women on there. If they sign up and only find 10 women, there's no rule that says these are the only choices. There's always the choice of staying single.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:25 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,162,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilgamesh8 View Post
I read an article recently that was depressing. Basically it said that as the population continues to get fatter, the attractiveness of the dating pool will decrease . The few remaining girls who aren’t obese will have a never-ending line of suitors at the door. One of the main consequences of this will be even more flaking by attractive women. Even today flaking is an epidemic. Over the past 6 months i've been going out a lot. Even if I make out with a girl and she gives me her number I still had a high flake rate.

Flaking is basically when a girl (or guy) goes ghost after the initial contact. From Urban dictonary: to be unreliable, and/or absent-minded, flighty, fickle. Generally unresponsible. A person who uses inaccurate excuses to mask thier non appearance to events, person who says one thing but does another.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Ladies, do guys flake on you? Do you find this a problem as well?

Its crazy out there for the single men. There's a lot of competition out there especially with the rise of online dating. For every 1 attractive female there seems to be 50 guys trying to get her.

But on a positive note: Staying in shape should pay HUGE dividends in the future. With the increase in in obesity a fit body will be highly sought after.
Fully agree it'll get worse before it gets better. I think you'll see a lot more men dating foreign women as a result.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:23 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,864,343 times
but what...if like me...your fat AND foreign? is that a plus or a minus to the dating odds for a girl LMAO.

men do tell me frequenlty that they find my accent very alluring....
(im british)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships