Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 07:22 AM

2,211 posts, read 2,155,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by recuerdeme View Post
Your mother or your wife?
The family you've always had or your spouse?
DNA means nothing. Relationships decide this. But assuming all things are equal, my mother would tell me to choose to my wife and she is my chosen family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2018, 09:58 AM

1 posts, read 442 times
Quote:
Neither

Why would anyone ever be asked to choose one over the other?

Old 06-01-2018, 06:03 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
Quote:
In a life or death situation, my mother would want me to choose the mother of my children / her grandchildren.

Old 06-01-2018, 06:55 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
During my brief marriage (less then ten years), my hubs and I surely didn't put ourselves as priorities. We enjoyed our relationship and welcomed our parents. They were much more loving towards our kids when we didn't play shut the in laws out game. Our door was open for family.
I don't ascribe to being someone's priority . I do though take the vows of matrimony seriously.

I've witnessed the marriages where one whips the other into the ' I'm more important then xyz '. Actually ...your not if you have to be that way.

Old 07-02-2018, 10:45 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,453,251 times
I have a sort of opposite situation, as a friend of a separated couple (around 6 years together). She left him and they're both bitter with each other. But she wants to continue having a relationship with one of his kids from a previous marriage, though is not much interested in his other child. He of course doesn't want her seeing his teenager at all behind his back, but she is seeing the kid.

Being a friend of both, I'm sympathetic to both. But in this case, I think she needs to lay off. This is a fresh split so there's time to pick up the relationship later when hot boundaries have cooled, or for now keep it at a distance with occasional notes maybe. The teenager is loved, there's no fragility or feelings of abandonment and he knows how hurt his father would be to find out about this. He loves his dad and he's hiding these visits from the ex-girlfriend.

Is there a right or wrong here?

Old 07-02-2018, 11:09 PM

292 posts, read 163,316 times
Quote:
Your post reads S.) not wife

Anyhow your wife is your other half, your immediate family member. She comes first.
But never in the case she is trying hinder you spending time with your mom

Old 07-03-2018, 04:44 AM

10,503 posts, read 7,043,034 times
Quote:
Under normal circumstances? Your wife.

But, in truth, under normal circumstances neither would ask you to choose. If someone does, then that's likely the person from whom you distance yourself.

Old 07-03-2018, 05:57 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,700,185 times
Holding all things equal, where it is a binary decision (no sitting the fence) - and knowing nothing else, I'd say wife.

I chose my wife. I didn't choose my mother. That doesn't mean her raising me and bringing me into this world doesn't matter. Of course it does. But, as a parent myself, raising my kids is a labor but I love them, even when they drive me crazy. My goal is to make them into people better than myself. It does not equate to unconditional love on their part.

I am my mother's child - she's not given unconditional love by me. Of course, I love my mom, but I didn't choose her to spend my life with. I chose my wife.

Old 07-03-2018, 07:50 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLead View Post
Neither

Why would anyone ever be asked to choose one over the other?
It's not actually uncommon in numerous family dynamics. It's either explicitly requested or implicitly assumed. Some families/partners never have a dynamic where anybody is in a position where making that choice comes up. Many do.

Old 07-03-2018, 07:56 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,617,033 times
There should not be a choice. You are all family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships