Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 03:50 PM

2,618 posts, read 6,164,760 times

Advertisements

I used to post on here quite a bit about my insecurities and issues I had with dating. I used to get so focused on the dating process, over-analyzing, driving myself literally crazy to the point where I got anxiety over certain situations that I had to see a therapist. I did a lot of online dating with quite a few women who just didn't have the decency to tell me when they were no longer interested and it tore me apart and astounded me.

Well after a year and a half of torture I finally met a girl different from all of them. I considered writing off dating completely many times but I eventually found myself going back or browsing profiles again. Asking out women I knew through friends, randomly, etc never really worked for me for reasons unknown still today, but I slowly learned from and changed my online dating approach that I am deciding to share with anyone who face similar obstacles.

I realized that dating isn't something you have much control over. It's really all about whether you can establish a connection with someone. If someone isn't interested it's nothing personal, and if they write you off because of one little thing then it's better you found out in the first few dates than have them leave you stranded at the altar or in divorce court. If someone treats you poorly or is rude on a date, that doesn't mean everyone online is a dbag or biotch, it just means that person is and you were unlucky. If you run into the same type of people when online dating, try to find out what they have in common and change something about what you look for.

My example: I realized I dated a lot of dishonest women who were not as straightforward as they claim to be and didn't have the respect to reject me when they were no longer interested, they would just disappear. So I decided I wanted to try dating NICER girls. Sure, anyone can just say they are nice in their profile, but look for examples about who they are that might back their statements. The girl I found and currently dating happily is nice, but I knew because she was a teacher for small children, talked about her family, charity work she does, and habitat building trips. These are all characteristics of someone who is nice.

I stopped sending an email out to every cute picture I came across and sent out one email every few days to the person I felt I liked most based on their profile. Well I met a girl that completely took away all the pain and confusion involved with dating. She calls me when she wants to talk to me. She always calls me back as soon as she's able to. If she has a question about me, she asks it. If she wants to see me, she accepts a date or asks me out. There's no pressure, she's fun, nice, and already happy with her life. She isn't looking for someone to MAKE her happy. She's giving, she's flexible and can compromise. She's affectionate, she shares her thoughts, she's intelligent, and absolutely gorgeous. I'm lucky as hell to have met her and I know there's more women out there like her, and I know there's great men out there too. You just have to be patient, resilient, thick-skinned, but not afraid to keep an open mind to going out of your comfort zone and changing the way YOU do thing in terms of dating and types of people you are interested in. Look at yourself and change things about you and think about what you can offer someone else rather than what someone can offer you.

Just thought I'd share this with everyone as I feel super lucky and even if this girl and I end up breaking up someday I'll still have hope for the future. I wish everyone luck and hope they can learn from my experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 03:57 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,583,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
I used to post on here quite a bit about my insecurities and issues I had with dating. I used to get so focused on the dating process, over-analyzing, driving myself literally crazy to the point where I got anxiety over certain situations that I had to see a therapist. I did a lot of online dating with quite a few women who just didn't have the decency to tell me when they were no longer interested and it tore me apart and astounded me.

Well after a year and a half of torture I finally met a girl different from all of them. I considered writing off dating completely many times but I eventually found myself going back or browsing profiles again. Asking out women I knew through friends, randomly, etc never really worked for me for reasons unknown still today, but I slowly learned from and changed my online dating approach that I am deciding to share with anyone who face similar obstacles.

I realized that dating isn't something you have much control over. It's really all about whether you can establish a connection with someone. If someone isn't interested it's nothing personal, and if they write you off because of one little thing then it's better you found out in the first few dates than have them leave you stranded at the altar or in divorce court. If someone treats you poorly or is rude on a date, that doesn't mean everyone online is a dbag or biotch, it just means that person is and you were unlucky. If you run into the same type of people when online dating, try to find out what they have in common and change something about what you look for.

My example: I realized I dated a lot of dishonest women who were not as straightforward as they claim to be and didn't have the respect to reject me when they were no longer interested, they would just disappear. So I decided I wanted to try dating NICER girls. Sure, anyone can just say they are nice in their profile, but look for examples about who they are that might back their statements. The girl I found and currently dating happily is nice, but I knew because she was a teacher for small children, talked about her family, charity work she does, and habitat building trips. These are all characteristics of someone who is nice.

I stopped sending an email out to every cute picture I came across and sent out one email every few days to the person I felt I liked most based on their profile. Well I met a girl that completely took away all the pain and confusion involved with dating. She calls me when she wants to talk to me. She always calls me back as soon as she's able to. If she has a question about me, she asks it. If she wants to see me, she accepts a date or asks me out. There's no pressure, she's fun, nice, and already happy with her life. She isn't looking for someone to MAKE her happy. She's giving, she's flexible and can compromise. She's affectionate, she shares her thoughts, she's intelligent, and absolutely gorgeous. I'm lucky as hell to have met her and I know there's more women out there like her, and I know there's great men out there too. You just have to be patient, resilient, thick-skinned, but not afraid to keep an open mind to going out of your comfort zone and changing the way YOU do thing in terms of dating and types of people you are interested in. Look at yourself and change things about you and think about what you can offer someone else rather than what someone can offer you.

Just thought I'd share this with everyone as I feel super lucky and even if this girl and I end up breaking up someday I'll still have hope for the future. I wish everyone luck and hope they can learn from my experience.
You are so right. I think many of us have had people say some absurdly, ridiculous things to us and sometimes it hinders us from wanting to meet someone else, but not everyone is like that.

I'm glad you met someone who you feel comfortable with.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:06 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,412,838 times
I remember your posts! I"m glad you found someone after all that trial and error!

Old 01-10-2011, 04:12 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,560,011 times
I'm glad things are going well for you!

Old 01-10-2011, 07:36 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,289,784 times
Very happy for you!!!

Old 01-10-2011, 08:51 PM

1,206 posts, read 2,928,500 times
i think this post should be stickied

Old 01-10-2011, 08:53 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,495,169 times
Great post!

A number of poster on here should read and re-read this over and over again.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:05 PM

6,455 posts, read 9,820,589 times
Someone should point this out to TVSG and his new little protege' lol

Old 01-10-2011, 09:14 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,412,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Someone should point this out to TVSG and his new little protege' lol
Hey I actually drive a protege...its a piece though...

Old 01-10-2011, 09:25 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,716,107 times
She sounds great. Good for you. I am happy for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships