Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 07:33 AM

525 posts, read 1,556,347 times

Advertisements

In the age of modern technology, people are walking zombies too focused on external means of communication like social networking such as facebook, texting via cellphone or whatever gadgets people may have.

That, people seems too busy nowdays, fake, self-involveed and finding meaningful friendships is hard to come by.

I wanna go back to the simpler times of life. Don't blink, life goes faster than you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 07:37 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,387,876 times
I like computers, I'm technically minded. lol.

If people don't wish to make friends, it's their own business. I also think that human interactions by nature are complex; we're an intelligent/sapient species after all.

Old 01-15-2011, 07:59 AM

11,081 posts, read 6,912,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
I like computers, I'm technically minded. lol.

If people don't wish to make friends, it's their own business. I also think that human interactions by nature are complex; we're an intelligent/sapient species after all.
You're also obviously a lot younger. There were simpler times when people actually wanted to spend time together. Now you have to spend $10-15 in a restaurant for people to want to hang out, or do other things that usually revolve around spending money. I used to think it was just me. Now I know from comments people have made here and IRL that it's true pretty much for everyone. People want to hang out in their own castle with their own toys. It's as simple as that.

samston when you're older you'll be saying stuff about the good ole days just like we are now, and we'll have the last laugh

My twentysomethings think they're never getting old or crippled - excuse me, DISABLED. (Far be it from me to not learn the "new" terms for referring to things.) They think youth goes on forever. Yeah, twenty more years is a long time but it goes a lot faster than you think and then you'll be shaking your fist at Father Time just like most everyone else.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:06 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,330,017 times
It's in the eye of the beholder. Lots of young people are socially aware and have causes close to their heart that they support. Lots of young people are taking care of their parents in this time of economic duress.

There is nothing wrong with progress and learning from past mistakes.

I hope I never get to the point where I think my generation is somehow better than succeeding ones. But judging from my mom and grandmother, I don't think that will happen to me. They say age is just a number. I happen to agree.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:14 AM

11,081 posts, read 6,912,808 times
You are right, and I'm glad to know a whole bunch of them. It's all about the circles you run in.

I was making a point about the semantics - I don't mind changing words if it's more suitable. My point was that your generation will have the same kinds of debates and changes over things that are acceptable now.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:17 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,295,393 times
KatieCountrycm ...you're so right. Modern technology does seem to be an impediment to interacting personally (in the flesh) with others. I don't think I'm near as young as you, and although I do use a computer, I also sometimes long for the simplicity of an earlier life.I think meaningful friendships that last are really very few, and far between, and I can't imagine how hard it would be to get to know people when it can't be done unless you own a cell-phone or a computer.Whatever happened to bringing a few brewskies over to the house, where you could really visit a friend instead of being caught up in a huge "meat market", which is what most clubs and pubs seem to be..

Old 01-15-2011, 08:18 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,835,277 times
no complaints here.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:30 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,330,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
You are right, and I'm glad to know a whole bunch of them. It's all about the circles you run in.

I was making a point about the semantics - I don't mind changing words if it's more suitable. My point was that your generation will have the same kinds of debates and changes over things that are acceptable now.
I'm not in the same generation as samston. I wasn't talking about your vocabulary either.

Old 01-15-2011, 02:44 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,387,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
You're also obviously a lot younger. There were simpler times when people actually wanted to spend time together. Now you have to spend $10-15 in a restaurant for people to want to hang out, or do other things that usually revolve around spending money. I used to think it was just me. Now I know from comments people have made here and IRL that it's true pretty much for everyone. People want to hang out in their own castle with their own toys. It's as simple as that.

samston when you're older you'll be saying stuff about the good ole days just like we are now, and we'll have the last laugh

My twentysomethings think they're never getting old or crippled - excuse me, DISABLED. (Far be it from me to not learn the "new" terms for referring to things.) They think youth goes on forever. Yeah, twenty more years is a long time but it goes a lot faster than you think and then you'll be shaking your fist at Father Time just like most everyone else.
I've promised myself I never will.

Old 01-15-2011, 03:21 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,021,292 times
I'm of the younger generation, but I don't text and don't use social media that much, and when I do, it's for more pragmatic reasons (such as them being in another town).

If you like going out in person with friends, go out and meet them -- there's no one stopping you from making your own arrangements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships