Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 09:21 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,413,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
He's not controlling...yet.
good thing I'm not his girlfriend
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 09:29 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,078,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
good thing I'm not his girlfriend
I'm sure he's not a bad guy. In fact I'm pretty confident that he started out as a perpetual doormat for alot of girls, being the typical nice guy and all. Now he decides he wants to be an alpha male and he's done a pretty good job putting up the front (which got him his current girlfriend) but now he's worried about competition from other alpha males stealing her away.

Simply put, the guy hasn't developed his inner alpha male. That should come, with time.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:31 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,845,945 times
I believe they call that "growing up"?

Old 01-20-2011, 09:31 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,413,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
I'm sure he's not a bad guy. In fact I'm pretty confident that he started out as a perpetual doormat for alot of girls, being the typical nice guy and all. Now he decides he wants to be an alpha male and he's done a pretty good job putting up the front (which got him his current girlfriend) but now he's worried about competition from other alpha males stealing her away.

Simply put, the guy hasn't developed his inner alpha male. That should come, with time.
I agree!

Old 01-20-2011, 09:34 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,078,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
I believe they call that "growing up"?
You'd think so, but alot of people like that get worse, not better, as they get older.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
I agree!
Of course you do. I'm nothing if not smart.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:38 PM

3 posts, read 10,730 times
I hate male friends. I am 40 and recently ended a relationship with a woman after 9 months because of her male friends. I tried to deal with them for a while. I tolerated their calls and how she constantly talked about one of them. But when i found out that one of them bought her a watch for her birthday which she didn't reveal to me. It was over. I moved out the next day. She insisted that she had no control over him buying the gift and that she didn't even know that he liked her. She told me that she would tell him never to call her again in my face, destroy the watch and even offered a to change the way she related to all of the other friends. But my problem is that it feels too little too late. I had been complaining and showing my unhappiness about this particular friend the whole time because he was the one without the regular gf. I could have even hung in there if she had even told me about it, but to find out about it on my own and have my lady lie about it(because like all stupid insecure men I would overreact). How right she was!!! Once you lie to cover up a guy, even if the guy is a close "Friend", there is no coming back from that.

I'm not saying all women are crap, but It would dog stupid to assume women are good until proven otherwise when all you have to have is a 5th grade reading complrehension and access to the internet to know that its opposite, women are crap until proven otherwise.

Now I ask up front, do you have a lot of guy friends? If they say yes or stammer, I don't eliminate them as a fun date but we aren't getting emotionally connected. I'd rather be another friend among 10 than to be the one guy who thinks that he has the best seat in the house only to find out that he has the worst and that he's actually being laughed at.

Being the boyfriend only means that you are getting the 'sex' it doesn't mean that the boyfriend(husband) is the most honourable spot in a womans life. Sometimes male friends could actually be in a more honourable position than the boyfriend.

I say if you see a male friend that she respects, be a friend. Because their relationship is built to outlast yours.

Last edited by ATLMarc; 01-14-2012 at 01:04 PM..

Old 01-14-2012, 12:51 PM

3 posts, read 10,730 times
I have no problem being the lightening rod for this.

Male-female friendships never help the romantic relationships of the friends involved. Outside friendships almost always have a negative effect on the other romantic relationships and never have a positive effect. If you want to deal with them, then do it but don't ever do it because some trashy ***** accuses you of being insecure. If that is her response to your concern, then smile, f*** her and quietly move her into the friendzone without even telling her because she will make a nightmare of a partner and you will end up hating her.

Good luck!!

Old 01-14-2012, 01:00 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,945,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLMarc View Post
I hate male friends. I am 40 and recently ended a relationship with a woman after 9 months because of her male friends. I tried to deal with them for a while. I tolerated their calls and how she constantly talked about one of them. But when i found out that one of them bought her a watch for her birthday which she didn't reveal to me. It was over. I moved out the next day. She insisted that she had no control over him and that she didn't know that he liked her. She told me that she would tell him never to call her again in my face, destroy the watch and even offered a to change the way she related to all of the other friends. But my problem is that it feels too little too late. Once you lie to cover up a guy, even if the guy is a close "Friend", there is no coming back from that.

Now I ask up front, do you have a lot of guy friends? If they say yes or stammer, I don't eliminate them as a fun date but we aren't getting emotionally connected. I'd rather be another friend among 10 than to be the one guy who thinks that he has the best seat in the house only to find out that he has the worst and that he's actually being laughed at.

Being the boyfriend only means that you are getting the 'sex' it doesn't mean that the boyfriend(husband) is the most honourable spot in a womans life. Sometimes male friends could actually be in a more honourable position than the boyfriend.

I say if you see a male friend that she respects, be a friend. Because their relationship is built to outlast yours.

There's limits, I have an ex girlfriend who was like that. Millions of guy friends, and well, I would never get involved with her again for that reason. She is a bit of an extreme case though, much more than a regular girl or my other ex-girlfriend.

But hey, she's a nice girl and I actually keep in contact with her now.. but get involved? Wouldn't trust it for a second!

Old 01-14-2012, 01:12 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,393,356 times
OP, stop being so monstrously controlling. It's an incredibly unattractive trait in men (and women). If you're over the age of 15 (which I am not sure about), you should have realized you can't control other people. If your GF has male friends, good for her. She should have male friends, just as you should have female friends. What is it about "friends" you don't get? If you don't trust your GF with half the population, you're the one with the problem and it centers around a ludicrous degree of insecurity. Address that, not the innocent behavior of you GF.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:33 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,393,356 times
And anyone who thinks alpha males don't "allow" their women to have male friends is also mistaken. The inference is that 'weak men' "allow" their GF's/wives to have male friends and tough guys don't.

It can be boiled down to a much more accurate and simple truism: any man who is threatened by male friends of their women have a lot of growing up to do. Insecurity personified. And that goes for women who don't want their men having female friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships