Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 06:00 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,481,734 times

Advertisements

It seems like very bad behavior if you're in a commited relationship. On the other hand, when my wife was very ill, she sent me off to visit friends who "took care of me." If that isn't love, I don't know what is, but I'd never have pursued this without her approval and encouragement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 08:36 PM

2,633 posts, read 4,056,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Am I the only one a little skeptical of this melodramatic sob story from a first-time poster?
I think I've heard of something like this before...but for now I'll be sympathetic and hope she moves on. Anyone stooping that low isn't worth being with (and this includes that 'other' case ).

Old 01-28-2011, 08:38 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,221,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfn177 View Post
Is my boyfriend a sociopath?

We have been together for 5 years and 2 children together and live what I thought was pretty happily.

A few months after the birth of our second child, I was diagnosed with cancer, had biopsies, surgeries and lots of tests. He "reconnected" with some Jr high girlfriend and said that they were friends. I read their emails flirting, saying good night, etc. It seemed to come more from him than her. I found a picture of her cleavage on his cell phone when they were at lunch. I don't think that he cheated because I caught him before he had the chance, told her husband. I don't think that she was willing to cheat on her husband. Then he sent her a picture of his penis. I flipped out at this point because I was battling cancer. Thyroid cancer usually isn't deadly but at this point I realized that he is a sociopath and I might as well be dead because if I stay he will eventually cheat, right? But if I go then I am a lonely broke single mother? What a life? I also want to add that having 2 children and cancer in a few years, I have gained 25 lbs... maybe he isn't attracted to me anymore? I am trying to loose weight but I am so miserable.

Then he had another girl coworkers number hidden in his phone and I saw a text that wasn't really inappropriate but why did he disguise it? Now I am flipping out that he is try to sleep with her too, and I have NOTHING to base that on except for thats what I am expecting now!

HELP
I'm so sorry... You need to dispose of this piece of garbage cancer or not, but I do understand it's very hard to do it in your position. It doesn't sound like you work... I hope the cancer goes into remission, you regain your strength and energy, find a job, and get rid of him.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:45 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,162,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfn177 View Post
Is my boyfriend a sociopath?

We have been together for 5 years and 2 children together and live what I thought was pretty happily.

A few months after the birth of our second child, I was diagnosed with cancer, had biopsies, surgeries and lots of tests. He "reconnected" with some Jr high girlfriend and said that they were friends. I read their emails flirting, saying good night, etc. It seemed to come more from him than her. I found a picture of her cleavage on his cell phone when they were at lunch. I don't think that he cheated because I caught him before he had the chance, told her husband. I don't think that she was willing to cheat on her husband. Then he sent her a picture of his penis. I flipped out at this point because I was battling cancer. Thyroid cancer usually isn't deadly but at this point I realized that he is a sociopath and I might as well be dead because if I stay he will eventually cheat, right? But if I go then I am a lonely broke single mother? What a life? I also want to add that having 2 children and cancer in a few years, I have gained 25 lbs... maybe he isn't attracted to me anymore? I am trying to loose weight but I am so miserable.

Then he had another girl coworkers number hidden in his phone and I saw a text that wasn't really inappropriate but why did he disguise it? Now I am flipping out that he is try to sleep with her too, and I have NOTHING to base that on except for thats what I am expecting now!

HELP
Well.

First let me say that I'm sorry you have had to go through the horrors of cancer. It is something that I would not wish on anyone and I hope that you make a full recovery.

That having been said. You're not a wife. Either a person is married or they are not. There is no "gray area". Married people have vows. They have commitments. Unmarried people do not.

Technically, just because you have chosen to bring two children out of wedlock into the world, does not give you any different status. Sorry about that. You're still seeing a SINGLE man (i.e. "not married" to you or anyone else). And single men, even those who have children are not obligated by law or tradition to be faithful to anyone.

Weather you realize it or not you are a single mother. Your boyfriend could leave you tomorrow and all you could do would be take him to court for child support. Thinking that he is going to stay, or be loyal to you is folly.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-28-2011, 08:46 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,162,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
It seems like very bad behavior if you're in a commited relationship. On the other hand, when my wife was very ill, she sent me off to visit friends who "took care of me." If that isn't love, I don't know what is, but I'd never have pursued this without her approval and encouragement.
committed = wedding.

She might have a commitment in her mind, but I think it's pretty obvious that he does not.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-28-2011, 08:52 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,343,986 times
Having two kids and thyroid cancer is a quick way to gain 25 pounds and losing it is not easy. Even a little increase in the dose of your thyroid meds could help. Ask your doctor.

You gotta look sexy for the next guy who comes along. The one you're with now is a complete jerk

Old 01-28-2011, 08:57 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,221,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Weather you realize it or not you are a single mother. Your boyfriend could leave you tomorrow and all you could do would be take him to court for child support. Thinking that he is going to stay, or be loyal to you is folly.
Well, she is, but she can just easily become a single mother had she been married, so that's not the most relevant part of the predicament.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:04 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,317,631 times
I know this woman who abandoned her husband after 20 years of marriage while he was doing chemo for thyroid cancer. While he was busy beating cancer, retraining for a new career, and getting his life back on track, she was busy cavorting in some weird threesome situation with another couple behind his back and had somehow involved their kids into this mess. One day she just said, "Surprise!" and filed for divorce. She even moved their kids in with the other couple... who the hell knows what is going on there? It boggles the mind... I don't know how she can even live with herself but it is clear if anyone is a sociopath, it is she. Being a sociopath isn't a psychiatric illness... it is just being a bad excuse for a human being.

Best of luck with your situation...

Old 01-28-2011, 09:16 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,343,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
I know this woman who abandoned her husband after 20 years of marriage while he was doing chemo for thyroid cancer. While he was busy beating cancer, retraining for a new career, and getting his life back on track, she was busy cavorting in some weird threesome situation with another couple behind his back and had somehow involved their kids into this mess. One day she just said, "Surprise!" and filed for divorce. She even moved their kids in with the other couple... who the hell knows what is going on there? It boggles the mind... I don't know how she can even live with herself but it is clear if anyone is a sociopath, it is she. Being a sociopath isn't a psychiatric illness... it is just being a bad excuse for a human being.

Best of luck with your situation...
I don't think so. Chemo is not the treatment for thyroid cancer, with the exception of anaplastic thyroid cancer which is fatal anyway. Whatever he was going through for survivable thyroid cancer, it wasn't chemo. Not saying he didn't have cancer and that she wasn't a cheater, but the facts aren't right here.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:49 PM

6,422 posts, read 7,681,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Trouble View Post
I don't think so. Chemo is not the treatment for thyroid cancer, with the exception of anaplastic thyroid cancer which is fatal anyway. Whatever he was going through for survivable thyroid cancer, it wasn't chemo. Not saying he didn't have cancer and that she wasn't a cheater, but the facts aren't right here.
Tropical, thanks for setting the record straight - that whole story is really too odd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships