Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 10:43 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,184,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Did she suggest an alternate date then?

Honestly, if I had other plans already in place and I was really interested in the guy, I would have suggested an alternate date.

"I can't tomorrow but how about lunch on Monday?" or some such thing.

If I was interested only in maintaining friendly terms, I would have invented an excuse and then chatted briefly before parting ways to avoid awkwardness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Did she suggest or hint at doing it another time?

Edit: HokieFan beat me to it.
I agree. This game is probably over. Besides, it's Friday... I can't see the urgency for writing the paper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 12:46 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,412,838 times
sounds like she rejected you. Who wants to write a paper on a Friday night if they have a choice for something else?

Old 02-11-2011, 01:46 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,697,329 times
Yeah, she did say "maybe some other time? " but didn't specify.

A friend suggested I ask her to lunch on Wednesday. I just don't think she'd make up an excuse when she's been so friendly this whole time.

Could be wrong though.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:50 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,412,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post

A friend suggested I ask her to lunch on Wednesday. I just don't think she'd make up an excuse when she's been so friendly this whole time.

Could be wrong though.
ok, "maybe some other time" is good! You better ask her out on Wednesday!

Old 02-11-2011, 02:29 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,076,603 times
Quote:
Cool. Sounds like you're still in the game.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:38 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,996,226 times
You go Hurricane DC! Get that girl!

Old 02-11-2011, 04:01 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,177,901 times
Quote:
Ok so long one short, there's this girl in my math class who I've been talking to a lot. We get along well, she always sits next to me in lecture, we laugh a lot and just jive well. Tomorrow I'm gonna invite her to get coffee with me after class (I would've done so earlier in the week, but she's always got a class after math except on Fridays). Assuming it all works out well... what do I do after that? If it matters, she lives near campus while I commute which might make it hard to meet up outside of typical class hours :| so yeah, what should I do?

I actually feel something funny (not like that ) just thinking about this... I might be wrong, but I think she might like me, and I definitely like her. I haven't truly felt like this in a long long time, in fact it feels downright weird compared to my usually pessimistic, misanthropic self.
Here's a great suggestion: Talk to her.

In the course of conversation mention that you commute. Mention that you'd like dinner or a concert or something with her. If she's halfway interested, she'll tell you what she wants to do.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:08 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,697,329 times
Yeah I've mentioned that before, as recently as this morning in fact (damn delays on my train). Walked in to class late, there she was sitting right next to where I usually sit.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:20 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,099,641 times
Quote:
Yeah I don't have a car cos they're expensive, the insurance is expensive and my city has pretty good (when when works) public transportation.

Anyway, I asked her out for coffee but she couldn't cos she has to write a paper. I don't think it would a excuse, cos we still talked for a bit till we parted ways. I'll try and get her for lunch on Monday.
Just a thought - that underground mall at L'Enfant is very convenient to the Metro, you could hang out for a while and then get lunch at one of the several restaurants in there. Nearby, the Smithsonian is free, and there are many different themes there - Air & Space, the Fine Art gallery, etc.

You could de-emphasize the car or lack thereof by just meeting up somewhere, let her get there on her own.

You probably already know about Ben's Chili Bowl, if it's good enough for the Prez, it's good enough for her too. You may or may not know Cafe Mozart, a few blocks north of Metro Center IIRC.

There really is a lot to see and do in DC, and in DC proper you really don't need a car, in fact when I go there for work, although I could get a rental car if I wanted, generally I don't, the car is more trouble than it's worth there. And I *am* a car guy...

Old 02-12-2011, 04:19 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,475,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna in AZ View Post
Go out after and keep it short & simple. Let it flow. I would think getting a drink/coffee may lead to dinner if it goes well. Somewhere in the area. Keep it casual for the first meeting. A real date can be planned for another day.
Why do you feel the need to tell other people whether or not their relationship/date is "real"? First me, then Knight, now HurricaneDC.

The date didn't happen for HurricaneDC, but that's not the point.

If they went on the date, all that would matter is whether or not him and the girl thought the date was real.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Honestly man, It's 2011, if your not driving, your at a major disadvantage, but good luck. Oh, and never take advice from women on how to get women, trust me on that one.

And don't spend any money on her.
Of course people like me and HurricaneDC realize we're at a disadvantage by not driving. But since we can't afford a car, what can we do?

I resent people with cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Did she suggest an alternate date then?

Honestly, if I had other plans already in place and I was really interested in the guy, I would have suggested an alternate date.

"I can't tomorrow but how about lunch on Monday?" or some such thing.

If I was interested only in maintaining friendly terms, I would have invented an excuse and then chatted briefly before parting ways to avoid awkwardness.
How would she know he's romantically interested? Friends can get coffee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I agree. This game is probably over. Besides, it's Friday... I can't see the urgency for writing the paper.
I don't mean to burst your bubble, HurricaneDC. I'm just looking at this realistically. I don't think anyone needs to write a paper on a Friday. Even if she needed to write a paper, she should be able to take 30-60 minutes to get coffee.

If I said maybe some other time, that might mean I'm not interested but I don't want to admit it. So that might be an excuse if she said maybe some other time.

But on the other hand, you worked up the courage to ask her for coffee. If you want to ask her to lunch, go for it.

However, if she says no to lunch, you should probably quit while you're ahead and move on. You don't want to come across as too clingy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships