Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 09:24 AM

2,652 posts, read 4,798,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennie Flowers View Post
I'm glad you think you're attractive.
Bennie, I know I am.

I also know, every man won't find me attractive.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:25 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,472,793 times
I think we tend to help family first, then friends, and when it comes to altruism towards strangers, we may tend to help the elderly and disabled first (if we're decent people), then whoever may seem (probably subconsciously, but perhaps calculatedly) the best prospect for future reproductive opportunity, and somewhere at about the same level, someone who may best be able to return a favor in some other way. So perhaps the other woman seemed to be a better prospect in some way, or perhaps she just appeared more helpless than you.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:33 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yeah, but most women are shallow and would only help the man in the library if it looked like he was rich.
That's why you should drive right through the wall and park in the middle of the library, MG!

Old 02-23-2011, 09:38 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,987,660 times
Quote:
I'm in my early 20's right now and I have to deal with men who come across as being EXTREMELY shallow. I am tired of it. Since when do I only get respect if my hair is straightened, my clothes are tight fitted and my face is well-rested. The other day, I was trying to dig my car out of the parking lot since it happened to be covered with snow. Another young woman, who was very attractive, was doing the same thing-digging her car out. A man who happens to work with maintence at the apartment walked right up to her and asked her if she was okay and if she needed assistance. Here I am, eyes watery from the brisk cold, hair frizzy, wearing a puffy coat digging my car out with desperation before it got towed.

This isn't the only scenario.
When I do have tight fitted clothing, maintained hair and so forth, I get many more guys saying hello to me, holding the door for me and smiling at me.

Some won't even engage in a conversation based on how I look that day. It must be my generation. What a pity.
I'm sorry this happened to you. The next time I see two women in a similar predicament, I'll remember to help the uglier one.

Btw, I'll only do the above if I can't actually help both like the super hero I truly am.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:44 AM

4,941 posts, read 8,327,271 times
Quote:
I'm in my early 20's right now and I have to deal with men who come across as being EXTREMELY shallow. I am tired of it. Since when do I only get respect if my hair is straightened, my clothes are tight fitted and my face is well-rested. The other day, I was trying to dig my car out of the parking lot since it happened to be covered with snow. Another young woman, who was very attractive, was doing the same thing-digging her car out. A man who happens to work with maintence at the apartment walked right up to her and asked her if she was okay and if she needed assistance. Here I am, eyes watery from the brisk cold, hair frizzy, wearing a puffy coat digging my car out with desperation before it got towed.

This isn't the only scenario.
When I do have tight fitted clothing, maintained hair and so forth, I get many more guys saying hello to me, holding the door for me and smiling at me.

Some won't even engage in a conversation based on how I look that day. It must be my generation. What a pity.
Instead of being p*ssed about him approaching another female I would have asked him to help me too. Making light of it by saying "I know I'm not all glammed up right now because snow shoveling is bad for my mascara!" I think his response to you would've been a more accurate test of his shallowness rather than base it on who he visually responded to first.

You may have felt slighted but you also don't know if they may have exchanged quick hello's/conversation before, etc. so he went to her first. To make the assumption he picked her over you merely based upon looks sounds kinda.....catty.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:46 AM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
I don't think it's that complicated - the OP is noticing that dudes pay a lot more attention to hot chicks in all scenarios. It is not uncommon that they totally ignore any woman they do not find attractive. They don't try to hide it or be apologetic about it so it is what it is. If some people think that is shallow, that is not an invalid opinion.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:12 AM

324 posts, read 572,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I don't think it's that complicated - the OP is noticing that dudes pay a lot more attention to hot chicks in all scenarios. It is not uncommon that they totally ignore any woman they do not find attractive. They don't try to hide it or be apologetic about it so it is what it is. If some people think that is shallow, that is not an invalid opinion.

Thank you! I didn't want this post to be compliated either. I noticed something and asked a SIMPLE question. Does shallowness decrease with age. If you see in my original post, I wasn' implying ALL men, I was implying younger men and men find in MY generation.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:15 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,987,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
Instead of being p*ssed about him approaching another female I would have asked him to help me too. Making light of it by saying "I know I'm not all glammed up right now because snow shoveling is bad for my mascara!" I think his response to you would've been a more accurate test of his shallowness rather than base it on who he visually responded to first.

You may have felt slighted but you also don't know if they may have exchanged quick hello's/conversation before, etc. so he went to her first. To make the assumption he picked her over you merely based upon looks sounds kinda.....catty.
Idk. I personally wouldn't respond well to that sort of comment.

Just ask for the help. No lightheardted comments about your looks is necessary.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:24 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Generally if they are shallow in their 20's they will be shallow in thier 50's. But, yes I think they can be a little less shallow if they have learned anything over the years.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:55 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Thank god we can just ignore that sticky about bashing the other sexes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships