Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 03:26 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,810,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrworld View Post
I am trying to figure out the reasons that drives men to seek relationship away from their marriage.
Would you admit it was selfish?
Was there something a lot more complex than just being selfish?
Could anything have been done by a spouse that would have prevented it?
Did you regret your cheating and thought it was a mistake?
Would you try to reconcile with your wife?
Women's opinion is also welcome.
Sometimes it's immaturity, sometimes it's a mid-life crisis, sometimes boredom. Sometimes it's a way to get back at the spouse for something.

Sometimes it's the thrill of getting by with it, lying and sneaking around and the thrill of getting caught.

No on the spouse being able to prevent it. A spouse can't prevent something they're not supposed to know about. Cheaters all lie as creatively as they can, often flat out telling the spouse that everything is fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 03:34 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,694,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolVa1977 View Post
to be honest, children are better off in a divorce than in an unhappy house.
That's just false. SOMETIMES children are better off in a divorce, and sometimes they AREN'T.

Old 03-13-2011, 03:38 PM

5,988 posts, read 10,490,417 times
Moderator cut: Removed reference to deleted comment.

Someone who believes "Once a cheater, always a cheater." is intellectually bankrupt. Obviously that's a convenient untruth that is based in anger and questionable moral superiority.

IMO, cheating is never justifiable, but sometimes forgivable. People can change, some do learn from mistakes. And while never justifiable, if the cheater has been ignored or treated badly by their spouse - and IF they've made an attempt to fix things - then human weakness may lead to outside validation. So IMO, the spouse can share some blame.

Last edited by JustJulia; 03-13-2011 at 09:24 PM..

As for the question posed, I think it really depends. There is a world of difference between a one night stand with a stranger while on a business trip and a long term affair with the next door neighbor. People make mistakes, they slip up from time to time. I realize that 90% of the people who post here are perfect and would never ever make such a mistake, but I assure all of you that in the real world people do make mistakes from which they can recover.

1,646 posts, read 2,376,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
That's just false. SOMETIMES children are better off in a divorce, and sometimes they AREN'T.
If the 2 parents handle things in a mature way they are. If they do not, together or separated the kids will suffer.

Old 03-13-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
If the 2 parents handle things in a mature way they are. If they do not, together or separated the kids will suffer.
There's always an "if" isn't there? There is an "if" to every question. For every "if" that suits your point of view, I can come up with an "if" that refutes it.

That's why definitive statements such as yours ("children are better off") are not based in reality.

Old 03-13-2011, 03:43 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,376,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
There's always an "if" isn't there? There is an "if" to every question. For every "if" that suits your point of view, I can come up with an "if" that refutes it.

That's why definitive statements such as yours ("children are better off") are not based in reality.
In most cases, they are. There is no need to saty together for the kids. Divorce can be survived if handled correctly.

And it is unfair to the parents. No one is happy in an unhappy house.

Old 03-13-2011, 03:44 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,856,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
Someone who believes "Once a cheater, always a cheater." is intellectually bankrupt. Obviously that's a convenient untruth that is based in anger and questionable moral superiority.

IMO, cheating is never justifiable, but sometimes forgivable. People can change, some do learn from mistakes. And while never justifiable, if the cheater has been ignored or treated badly by their spouse - and IF they've made an attempt to fix things - then human weakness may lead to outside validation. So IMO, the spouse can share some blame.

Hey Dude, get out of my head, it's crowded in there

LOVE this post. Not only is it well said, it's the God's honest truth.

Last edited by JustJulia; 03-13-2011 at 09:24 PM..

Old 03-13-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
In most cases, they are. There is no need to saty together for the kids. Divorce can be survived if handled correctly.

And it is unfair to the parents. No one is happy in an unhappy house.
No, in most cases they are not better off. The statistics don't lie, after most divorces children end up with the mother, and single mother households are more likley to be living in poverty. Most criminals, indigents, drug addicts and uneducated people come from single mother households too.

I know what I am saying isn't popular, but it is the TRUTH which has been whitewashed by this feminist "I don't need a man" notion that brainwashes women into believing the should leave their husband at the slightest whiff of trouble. The children are the ones who suffer, not mom.

Old 03-13-2011, 03:48 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,087,936 times
No.

Nor would I expect it of my wife.

Once you break that bond of trust, it's all over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships