Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 12:53 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times

Advertisements

Change your social circles, find different ways and places to meet women. They are not all like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 12:55 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsgeek20 View Post
So what's different from being 20? seems most or all women my age either hate guys or use and abuse guys because they can.

Is that so weird considering how young women treat men?
As if men are shining angels every single one of my girlfriends has been cheated on in their lives. One was engaged, got pregnant and her fiancé took the ring from their dresser and disappeared in the middle of the night. Ive been told I'm too ugly, too fat, too tall and (rather oddly) too successful by men.

Both sexes do it... The trick is trying to stay positive through it all. As for myself, I simply do not get involved in 'relationships' anymore. Keeps things easier.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:58 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,681,678 times
Lightbulb You Have Time On Your Hands...Fill It Wisely...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizeguy1032 View Post
I'm 53, divorced 4 yrs after a 24 yr marriage. Jumped right in to a rebound relationship that I ended about 8 months ago. She was 44 with a 7 yr old son and 21 yr old daughter and 3 dogs she treated like kids.
Anyway I have started to date again and what I'm finding is that the women in my age range, 45-55, seem to all be very bitter about growing old and how they have been treated by men their whole life. All i hear about is how terrible their ex's were and how they can't trust men. They have these totally unrealistic expectations now of what they want in a man and won't settle for anything less.

it is almost like they want to be in a relationship in order to punish the guy for all the past sins men have committed against them.
And yes I know I am generalizing here but in my case so far these are the only women I am coming across. They present themselves at first as having it all together but it quickly comes out, all the stories of past abuse and being cheated on and how they have lost all faith in men or finding a decent one. I'm constantly asked, so what makes you different? What kind of friggin question is that?

I have had enough drama in my life to script 10 soap operas. I just want some peace and a woman I can have a good time with. I don't want to deal with or hear about someones ex or raise someone else's kids. I don't want to be compared to or judged against someones past relationships. We have all been screwed over one way or another. I just want to give someone my best and get the same in return. I'm starting to think at my age it is hopeless.
Maybe it's time I get a dog.
And I'm gonna re-stress what others here have told you...

In the words of my 20-something nephew---'you gotta do YOU!'

There are scads of activities out here for people in our age group (50+ that is...I'm 55)...take a cruise...learn to skydive...learn to rock-climb...scour your local paper, or better yet, pick up a copy of the local 'independent' paper, and look for things to do...

Do you have a library card? Use that sucker...make use of your free time, because the most powerful thing you possess is your imagination, and NO ONE can take that from you...learn to paint (LOL---even if it's paint by numbers)...learn to dance...go to wine tastings, if that's your style...

My main point is, don't worry so much about looking for 'the next one'...take the time to embrace yourself, and get more 'skills' under your belt...go out to eat alone...got a computer? You must, since you posted here---search engines can be your best friend, as far as finding things to do...

And finally, yes, by all means, get a dog...you'd be surprised at the number of people who will approach you and the dog, just as a means of breaking the ice...most importantly, don't go in search of---be the one all those 'non-bitter' women are searching for...

And one other thing...and I say this with the utmost sincerity...that title 'Bitter Old Men-Hating Women'? Making a sweeping genralization like that isn't good...just because your past few 'encounters' weren't successful, doesn't mean that every woman out here, eligible or not, is a bitter man-hater...nothing could be further from the truth...

Old 03-16-2011, 01:01 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,645,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
As if men are shining angels every single one of my girlfriends has been cheated on in their lives. One was engaged, got pregnant and her fiancé took the ring from their dresser and disappeared in the middle of the night. Ive been told I'm too ugly, too fat, too tall and (rather oddly) too successful by men.

Both sexes do it... The trick is trying to stay positive through it all. As for myself, I simply do not get involved in 'relationships' anymore. Keeps things easier.
I don't think you need to worry about never married or never having kids older men. There's plenty to go around. Leave the boys who have 5 kids by 3 women alone.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:08 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bad-John View Post
I don't think you need to worry about never married or never having kids older men. There's plenty to go around. Leave the boys who have 5 kids by 3 women alone.
Trust me, I'm trying!! I went out on multiple dates with a 29 year old man recently and he knew I didn't want children and he wholeheartedly agreed with me... Come to find out he has 3 with 2 different women. Bah.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:22 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,373,605 times
Quote:

Wow so disrespectful .... Sorry to hear that.

I have never told I am too.... whatever by a man, but I don't get into relationships either. And my life is so much easier.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:23 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,645,401 times
Quote:
Trust me, I'm trying!! I went out on multiple dates with a 29 year old man recently and he knew I didn't want children and he wholeheartedly agreed with me... Come to find out he has 3 with 2 different women. Bah.
29 AND THREE kids..... sucks to be him! Some are quite a bit older and still don't have any! I'd look into your mechanic circle. Us type guys are NOT ladies men and get few dates!

Old 03-16-2011, 01:29 PM

1,206 posts, read 2,927,776 times
date a woman whos husband died. At least their relationship ended because of death not because of an emotional trainwreck of drama and wounds.

I guess all there are fewer and fewer good ones as people get older due to them staying in relationships and good ones turning into bad ones.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:31 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,269,233 times
I wouldn't let it freak me out. Two things I think are going on.

Women are more communicative and at an initial meeting may be attempting to give you some of their personal history from which to build an understanding of them and to build a relationship from there. I'd listen as long as it didn't become an ongoing topic of conversation as it might reveal a lot of interesting things you should know about them.

The other thing is that they are searching to find out your attitude and values about what they're saying to make sure they don't repeat the mistake. They want to make sure you're different and that they can talk to you about anything.

This is a part of relationship building as opposed to just having a good time with someone. Depends on what you want.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:00 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
You are finding women who aren't ready to be out there in the dating world. They haven't gotten over their previous bad relationships. It happens all the time and you were most likely not ready either.

Take some time and be alone. Learn to be happy with who and what you are without a partner. Recover from the past. The only thing that will do it is time. We all go through stages in our recovery and I think one of them is believing that all men/women stink on ice and aren't worth the effort. We eventually figure out that just because one man/woman sucks, that doesn't mean that ALL men/women suck.

In our age group, everyone has baggage. But there are LOTS of worthwhile people out there. People who are at home in their own skin and welcome the addition of worthwhile people to their lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships