Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 01:48 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,499,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Well, that doesn't do a whole lot of good, does it...? They just bought another car they let you use while you were living with them. That's all.
But I was the reason they bought the car. I was the primary driver.

What about my college classmates with cars provided by their parents? Using your logic, their cars are just another car their parents let them use during college.

If someone that hasn't graduated college yet has a car, there's a high chance they don't pay for it.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:52 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,347,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
But I was the reason they bought the car. I was the primary driver.

What about my college classmates with cars provided by their parents? Using your logic, their cars are just another car their parents let them use during college.

If someone that hasn't graduated college yet has a car, there's a high chance they don't pay for it.
In any event, your parents didn't give you the car, period.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:55 PM

27,955 posts, read 39,919,434 times
No but they still support you.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth View Post
I dont really understand your thought process, but whatever, you do you I guess
To strengthen my point, why don't I make another example:

To a homeless person, someone making minimum wage and living with 5 roommates might seem rich. Like I said, wealth is relative.

If you say 100k is not rich, I take that to mean you've experienced what it's like to make 100k, so you think an income like that is normal. Or maybe you have kids so you think of money from a parent's point of view. Keep in mind I'm never having kids or marrying so I think of money from the point of view of a childless bachelor.

To someone that hasn't experienced 100k, it would seem rich. And whether or not you have kids is a big factor. 100k can buy you a rich lifestyle in low cost of living areas and a decent lifestyle in high cost of living areas if you don't have kids.

I live in a low cost of living area. The highest paid professors at my college make around 100k. This is public information. The local newspaper did an online article about a year ago where you can search for any professor and find out their salary.

Old 04-01-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
In any event, your parents didn't give you the car, period.
But they bought the car with the intention of me driving it. And they said I would take it to college, then changed their mind when the time came. That's what enrages me...not the fact that they didn't let me take it, but the fact that they lied.

And you didn't answer the question about my classmates with cars. Did their parents give them the car?

What constitutes a parent giving their kid a car vs just letting them use it?

Old 04-01-2011, 02:01 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,347,173 times
Quote:
But they bought the car with the intention of me driving it. And they said I would take it to college, then changed their mind when the time came. That's what enrages me...not the fact that they didn't let me take it, but the fact that they lied.

And you didn't answer the question about my classmates with cars. Did their parents give them the car?

What do I care about college kids and their cars...

Old 04-01-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
What do I care about college kids and their cars...
You brought this on yourself when you said my parents didn't give me the car. I'm just wondering where you draw the line between parents giving their kids a car vs letting them use it

Old 04-01-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
$100,000 goes a long way in some parts of the country. Where I live, if you want a decent house - you have to make more than that. And you are not even close to being rich.
Who said anything about buying a house? You can afford a lot of rent on 100k even if you can't afford a house.

As for rich...I've already mentioned how wealth is relative and whether or not you have kids is a big factor

Old 04-01-2011, 02:08 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,891,596 times
Quote:
To strengthen my point, why don't I make another example:

To a homeless person, someone making minimum wage and living with 5 roommates might seem rich. Like I said, wealth is relative.

If you say 100k is not rich, I take that to mean you've experienced what it's like to make 100k, so you think an income like that is normal. Or maybe you have kids so you think of money from a parent's point of view. Keep in mind I'm never having kids or marrying so I think of money from the point of view of a childless bachelor.

To someone that hasn't experienced 100k, it would seem rich. And whether or not you have kids is a big factor. 100k can buy you a rich lifestyle in low cost of living areas and a decent lifestyle in high cost of living areas if you don't have kids.

I live in a low cost of living area. The highest paid professors at my college make around 100k. This is public information. The local newspaper did an online article about a year ago where you can search for any professor and find out their salary.
isnt it crazy that I do not have kids, or make 100,000 and yet I still dont call it rich. To me if you have to work for your money you aren't rich, rich people's money works for THEM not the other way around. If you HAVE to work in a job (especially where you are not the owner of the company/CEO) you arent rich IMO. And 'seeming' rich is irrelevant, If I paid a guy working in a sweatshop 30k a year because he was used to making $1/day, he still wouldnt be rich, just because im paying him 30k and it is so much more than what he is used to, he still isnt rich.

Old 04-01-2011, 02:08 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,971,008 times
Quote:

Wow, just jumping in and haven't read the whole thread, but are you actually calling your parents LIARS?

Couldn't it just be that they changed their minds about you taking the car?

Maybe you did something that caused them to question their ability to trust you?

Or perhaps their financial situation just changed and they could no longer let you take it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships