Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 02:10 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,481,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Wow, just jumping in and haven't read the whole thread, but are you actually calling your parents LIARS?

Couldn't it just be that they changed their minds about you taking the car?

Maybe you did something that caused them to question their ability to trust you?

Or perhaps their financial situation just changed and they could no longer let you take it?
They're liars because they changed their mind regarding a big decision that was important to me.

And my dad makes more money now than he did back then

Old 04-01-2011, 02:12 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,881,597 times
Quote:
Wow, just jumping in and haven't read the whole thread, but are you actually calling your parents LIARS?

Couldn't it just be that they changed their minds about you taking the car?

Maybe you did something that caused them to question their ability to trust you?

Or perhaps their financial situation just changed and they could no longer let you take it?
I think its simple, sense of entitlement/spoilt. If I were his parents I wouldnt have given him a car to begin with. When his parents die he is not even willing to help pay for funeral arrangements, because he doesnt believe in it?? That to me is a lack of respect for his parents.

Old 04-01-2011, 02:13 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,806,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
They're liars because they changed their mind regarding a big decision that was important to me.

Wow. Just wow.

On behalf of your parents, I just have to point out what an ungrateful little spoiled brat you sound like

With your attitude I can understand why they changed their mind.

You've got a lot of growing up to do.

Old 04-01-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
it is HIS money not yours!! Just because you are his son, nothing is owed to you. If he wants to give you something then he can, if not then your SOL......

Old 04-01-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth View Post
isnt it crazy that I do not have kids, or make 100,000 and yet I still dont call it rich. To me if you have to work for your money you aren't rich, rich people's money works for THEM not the other way around. If you HAVE to work in a job (especially where you are not the owner of the company/CEO) you arent rich IMO. And 'seeming' rich is irrelevant, If I paid a guy working in a sweatshop 30k a year because he was used to making $1/day, he still wouldnt be rich, just because im paying him 30k and it is so much more than what he is used to, he still isnt rich.
If you paid the guy 30k and asked him if he considers himself rich, he would probably say yes.

From this post, it is obvious that we have different ideas of rich. My idea of rich is someone that can afford to live comfortably, even if they need to work. 30k would definitely be living comfortably compared to a guy that was used to working in a sweatshop for a dollar a day.

And different people have different ideas of living comfortably. A billionaire might think a 5,000 square foot house is too small because it's half the size of what he's used to. But a homeless person would be happy just to afford a nice apartment.

I consider 100k rich because it's more than I ever expect to make, therefore someone making that salary can afford a richer lifestyle than me (if they also don't have kids)

Old 04-01-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
If you paid the guy 30k and asked him if he considers himself rich, he would probably say yes.

From this post, it is obvious that we have different ideas of rich. My idea of rich is someone that can afford to live comfortably, even if they need to work. 30k would definitely be living comfortably compared to a guy that was used to working in a sweatshop for a dollar a day.

And different people have different ideas of living comfortably. A billionaire might think a 5,000 square foot house is too small because it's half the size of what he's used to. But a homeless person would be happy just to afford a nice apartment.

I consider 100k rich because it's more than I ever expect to make, therefore someone making that salary can afford a richer lifestyle than me (if they also don't have kids)
like i said, we disagree on this.

Old 04-01-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Wow. Just wow.

On behalf of your parents, I just have to point out what an ungrateful little spoiled brat you sound like

With your attitude I can understand why they changed their mind.

You've got a lot of growing up to do.
Let me present my point of view:

In theory, I could of got a job in high school if I knew ahead of time that I wouldn't be taking a car to college. I might make enough money at the job to afford a car.

But my parents led me to believe they would provide me with a car during college, so there was no need for me to work. So when my parents told me I wasn't taking a car to college, I didn't have enough time to make the money necessary to buy my own car. My parents basically gave me no choice but to go carless in college.

I wouldn't mind their decision as long as they told me ahead of time so I could maybe get a job and save up for a car

Old 04-01-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
like i said, we disagree on this.
I'm not saying a former sweatshop worker making 30k is rich. I'm just saying he's rich in comparison to his old lifestyle. Do you agree on that?

Old 04-01-2011, 02:22 PM

27,955 posts, read 39,828,904 times
Quote:
it is HIS money not yours!! Just because you are his son, nothing is owed to you. If he wants to give you something then he can, if not then your SOL......
Exactly. If he was my son, he would be cut off and disinheritaned. I am in the process of redoing my will. As long as I am not married, my proceeds not going to my nieces and nephews.

Old 04-01-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
I think its simple, sense of entitlement/spoilt. If I were his parents I wouldnt have given him a car to begin with. When his parents die he is not even willing to help pay for funeral arrangements, because he doesnt believe in it?? That to me is a lack of respect for his parents.
I haven't given much thought to my parents dying, because that is hopefully a long way off. The only reason I said something about funerals earlier is because someone (maybe you) asked.

I don't believe in funerals because I think they're unnecessary. Why does someone need a funeral? If you're dead, what good does it do you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.