Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 10:38 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,215,127 times

Advertisements

I have always led a very simple life. I left high school and got a job right away. I work my job knowing full well that there is no room for me to move up - and that's completely fine by me - I love my workmates and coming into work every day.

Everyone around me seems to be so greedy. They all want more money, better jobs, better titles. Sure, we'd all like more money. I wouldn't mind a holiday or 2 every year, but I don't get depressed about it.

People seem to be so constantly money-hungry and never satisfied with their lives. They do anything for a buck. Get rich quick schemes, the lottery, stock market. I don't get how they can't see just how lucky they are already, to have the things that they do.

Maybe I just appreciate the small things. I don't care what my house looks like as long as I have a roof over my head. I have people around me who love me and I am forever grateful for that. I feel good, I look good, I enjoy life. I don't have any kids and don't plan on having any, so I have enough money and freedom to do what I want, when I want.

I feel like the only one in the world. People tend to look down on me because I have no goals and am happy just living each day as it comes. I don’t see what is so wrong with that.

Am I the only one?

P.S. if this needs to be moved, go ahead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 11:41 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,684,000 times
Wealth is relative.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say you have no "goals". Are you talking about career goals? Is there anything in life that you think is worth striving for?

Old 04-03-2011, 11:47 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,684,000 times
Personally, I feel that money can give me more control and choices in life. Working for myself offers even more independence, autonomy, and rewards. Those are things that are important enough to me to work hard for them.

But after a certain point, when a person already has their needs met, having more means that you can help others. I can help my parents and my children, for instance. And that feels good.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boodhabunny View Post
I'm not sure what you mean when you say you have no "goals". Are you talking about career goals? Is there anything in life that you think is worth striving for?
I wouldn’t mind owning a house one day, but if I don’t, I am not going to beat myself up about it.

Otherwise, no I don’t think so. I don’t want a family (kids of my own I mean) or a fancy house.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:59 PM

369 posts, read 618,522 times
No, I think that it is very sensible and wise to be satisfied with the simple things in life like love, like a decent job, like a loyal family.

I think it is very, no it is EXTREMELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NAIVE to value living a life such as cheating on a spouse or being a permanent single, to make big money your goal, to use drugs or drink, to gamble, to smoke cigarettes.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:14 AM

1,786 posts, read 3,464,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
I have always led a very simple life. I left high school and got a job right away. I work my job knowing full well that there is no room for me to move up - and that's completely fine by me - I love my workmates and coming into work every day.

Everyone around me seems to be so greedy. They all want more money, better jobs, better titles. Sure, we'd all like more money. I wouldn't mind a holiday or 2 every year, but I don't get depressed about it.

People seem to be so constantly money-hungry and never satisfied with their lives. They do anything for a buck. Get rich quick schemes, the lottery, stock market. I don't get how they can't see just how lucky they are already, to have the things that they do.

Maybe I just appreciate the small things. I don't care what my house looks like as long as I have a roof over my head. I have people around me who love me and I am forever grateful for that. I feel good, I look good, I enjoy life. I don't have any kids and don't plan on having any, so I have enough money and freedom to do what I want, when I want.

I feel like the only one in the world. People tend to look down on me because I have no goals and am happy just living each day as it comes. I don’t see what is so wrong with that.

Am I the only one?

P.S. if this needs to be moved, go ahead.
Nope. I actually think it's really refreshing and I would be willing to bet money that you sleep FAR better at night than these people who you think look down on you. This is your life. It's like your very own present. Treat it/Live it in the way it will bring you as much joy and peace as you can.

I've worked in an industry my whole life where it has been about drinking the best wines, eating at the best places, staying at the most expensive hotels, having the biggest house, the most cars, the most successful children, etc. I'm like you. I never wanted any part of that game. I'm happy to have gotten as far as I did, to make some fantastic friends along the way, to have a small apartment that I have furnished in my own taste. And you know what? Pfft on the fancy restuarants. I would FAR rather make the food in my own kitchen and have a bunch of friends over.

You're on the right path! One thing you can think of - when you are ready - is to ensure that in some small way you pay it forward. Whether being a good listener, having the ability to give good advice, spending time helping another person. And if you're ot ready for that yet, just make an effort to smile at someone who won't expect it, look in a person's eyes when saying thanks so they can see you're sincere, hold a door open for someone, or give up your seat to someone.

Share your contentment with others is basically what I'm trying to say!

Old 04-04-2011, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
Share your contentment with others is basically what I'm trying to say!
I make an effort to do just that, every day!!!

Thanks for your great post.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:17 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,355,165 times
No , you are not naive.
You have attained an equilibrium which eludes the wealthiest of them all.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:26 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,169,659 times
You should read Abraham Maslow's Theory of Motivation.

Theory of Motivation, Psychological Review, 1943, Vol. 50 #4, pp. 370–396

Old 04-04-2011, 01:58 AM

10,215 posts, read 17,900,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
I wouldn’t mind owning a house one day, but if I don’t, I am not going to beat myself up about it.

Otherwise, no I don’t think so. I don’t want a family (kids of my own I mean) or a fancy house.
Career, family and house are not the only goals you can have in life though - what about a hobby? I can understand not being ambitious in a career but do you have any interests outside of your job? You could volunteer, you could take a class on something that interests you, etc. Personally I think what people do with their spare time says a lot more about them than what they do a living. I mean, there's not being ambitious in your career...and then there's just lazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships