Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 07:58 AM

5,546 posts, read 10,016,129 times

Advertisements

I think it's fine to be happy with the simple life. I don't think naivete really enters into it. Nor do I think you need to "do" anything in particular if you are just happy being. US Culture is such a go, go, go "you must prove yourself" way of living. Think of the monks who do nothing but meditate all day. It's your life. Live it as you see fit. Just remember to wear a condom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 07:59 AM

9,004 posts, read 20,424,922 times
Interesting that someone found your other Thread that is the same as this one pretty much! Does doing two Threads about the same thing indicate something.......hummmmm Or, did you just forget that you done the other Thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Uhm, didn't you already do a 192 post thread on this same subject?

//www.city-data.com/forum/relat...ok-choose.html

Old 04-04-2011, 08:25 AM

9,004 posts, read 20,424,922 times
I lived a pretty simple life, until I met my wife! I always owned older vehicles and my only transportation when I met her was a motorcycle. I rented furnished rooms in houses. I never owned a credit card until after we married and bought a house. Only tv I ever owned was a small 9" B/W. After I met her, we had each other to buy things for. We even started up a combined music collection of CD's. Since she has the Bachelor's Degree, she has always made much more in salary than I ever had. Some folks don't like "material things" and many, many times that is because they can't afford them......that's basically the way it was for me before I met her! Oh, because of the "simplier life" that I led, I could afford a few nice things and be able to take a lady out to a nice dinner (using her vehicle at her request). But, now that I/we have some nice things, including a boat......I'm very glad my life changed!

Old 04-04-2011, 09:03 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,649,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman1 View Post
You know this how? You have met all the weathy people and confirmed that they are unhappy or less happy than people who have less wealth? I would hazard a guess that there are many people who have plenty and are just as happy as happy people who have little. There will always be people who can never have enough but they live in all social strata and income ranges. The saying is that the key to having what makes you happy is being happy with what you have. IMO this is a truth.
While I agree with you on principle, think about the mental energy expended in the shuffling around of and protection of all the things that money can buy. People at that level of luxury run the very real risk of becoming owned by their possessions. They will lie awake at night worrying about them, they'll fret during the day whether their investments are bearing fruit and whether their ever-increasing income stream will one day suddenly evaporate.

When you're the top man on the ladder you certainly have power...but you also have the farthest to fall.

I used to work with an auto repo group, and you would not believe how some people will fight - even be willing to maim or kill - over a stupid piece of metal and plastic.

Where do you keep the jewelery? In the safety deposit box? Running back and forth all the time to change your necklaces and rings? A bit daft, isn't it? The time wasted, the resources squandered, the emotional peaks and troughs involved in thinking about security...

Personally I think the OP is discovering the joys of non-attachment; of being able to stay light and fast, moving here and there at will without having to lug a ton of crap behind her; and getting a glimpse of how the sheeple all race to play The Game, forgetting as they do that it's a vicious circle - make more money to buy more stuff; more stuff equals more maintenance; more maintenance equals more money spent...

Using Zaxxo Toothpaste with Acuminaphrin Crystals won't REALLY make you instantly popular with beautiful people, but that doesn't really matter because you aren't BUYING toothpaste - you're buying the image, the dream, the fantasy. Does it make you happier? Yes? Then Godspeed.

But if, like in The Matrix, you ever want to wake up one day and see what reality REALLY looks like, then do as the OP is doing and live a simple, uncomplicated and beautiful life.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Interesting that someone found your other Thread that is the same as this one pretty much! Does doing two Threads about the same thing indicate something.......hummmmm Or, did you just forget that you done the other Thread?
I missed that. It is interesting...

Old 04-04-2011, 09:22 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,394,156 times
I don't think there is anything wrong with your mind set. I wish I could be more like this. But I want so much out of life; a family, a nice house, to travel the world, etc. And all these things need money...lots of it.

So unless I stop desiring these things, I'll always have that to work on. And sometimes it is damn frustrating.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:46 AM

2,650 posts, read 3,017,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
While I agree with you on principle, think about the mental energy expended in the shuffling around of and protection of all the things that money can buy. People at that level of luxury run the very real risk of becoming owned by their possessions. They will lie awake at night worrying about them, they'll fret during the day whether their investments are bearing fruit and whether their ever-increasing income stream will one day suddenly evaporate.

When you're the top man on the ladder you certainly have power...but you also have the farthest to fall.

I used to work with an auto repo group, and you would not believe how some people will fight - even be willing to maim or kill - over a stupid piece of metal and plastic.

Where do you keep the jewelery? In the safety deposit box? Running back and forth all the time to change your necklaces and rings? A bit daft, isn't it? The time wasted, the resources squandered, the emotional peaks and troughs involved in thinking about security...

Personally I think the OP is discovering the joys of non-attachment; of being able to stay light and fast, moving here and there at will without having to lug a ton of crap behind her; and getting a glimpse of how the sheeple all race to play The Game, forgetting as they do that it's a vicious circle - make more money to buy more stuff; more stuff equals more maintenance; more maintenance equals more money spent...

Using Zaxxo Toothpaste with Acuminaphrin Crystals won't REALLY make you instantly popular with beautiful people, but that doesn't really matter because you aren't BUYING toothpaste - you're buying the image, the dream, the fantasy. Does it make you happier? Yes? Then Godspeed.

But if, like in The Matrix, you ever want to wake up one day and see what reality REALLY looks like, then do as the OP is doing and live a simple, uncomplicated and beautiful life.
I hear you Phil, my thought is that happiness is unrelated to possessions or place. It is the outlook within which you view all things. For some people the glass will always be half empty no matter how much or little the contents. For others the glass will always contain enough. This is happiness.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:34 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,266,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Uhm, didn't you already do a 192 post thread on this same subject?

//www.city-data.com/forum/relat...ok-choose.html
Exactly. Living a simple life is fine; trying to convince yourself you like it numerous times... not so much...

Old 04-04-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman1 View Post
I hear you Phil, my thought is that happiness is unrelated to possessions or place. It is the outlook within which you view all things. For some people the glass will always be half empty no matter how much or little the contents. For others the glass will always contain enough. This is happiness.
Nicely said, Crabs

Old 04-04-2011, 01:43 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,018,559 times
I would depart from the OP's statement in one regard: I HAVE to have a very large amount in savings for my peace of mind. I don't need a lot of fancy possession, but I have to maintain a good nest egg for emergencies. Of course, when my husband and I both got laid off in the same month, it definitely came in handy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships