Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 02:03 AM

2,650 posts, read 3,018,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by etacarinae View Post
No , you are not naive.
You have attained an equilibrium which eludes the wealthiest of them all.
You know this how? You have met all the weathy people and confirmed that they are unhappy or less happy than people who have less wealth? I would hazard a guess that there are many people who have plenty and are just as happy as happy people who have little. There will always be people who can never have enough but they live in all social strata and income ranges. The saying is that the key to having what makes you happy is being happy with what you have. IMO this is a truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 02:20 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,359,340 times
She has obtained a balance that permits her to be content with what she currently has.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:48 AM

2,650 posts, read 3,018,182 times
That is not what you said. You said the wealthiest of them all had not attained such balance, it eluded them. Where is your data supporting this?

Old 04-04-2011, 04:59 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,240,398 times
Uhm, didn't you already do a 192 post thread on this same subject?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/relat...ok-choose.html

Old 04-04-2011, 05:22 AM

2,631 posts, read 7,031,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
I have always led a very simple life. I left high school and got a job right away. I work my job knowing full well that there is no room for me to move up - and that's completely fine by me - I love my workmates and coming into work every day.

Everyone around me seems to be so greedy. They all want more money, better jobs, better titles. Sure, we'd all like more money. I wouldn't mind a holiday or 2 every year, but I don't get depressed about it.

People seem to be so constantly money-hungry and never satisfied with their lives. They do anything for a buck. Get rich quick schemes, the lottery, stock market. I don't get how they can't see just how lucky they are already, to have the things that they do.

Maybe I just appreciate the small things. I don't care what my house looks like as long as I have a roof over my head. I have people around me who love me and I am forever grateful for that. I feel good, I look good, I enjoy life. I don't have any kids and don't plan on having any, so I have enough money and freedom to do what I want, when I want.

I feel like the only one in the world. People tend to look down on me because I have no goals and am happy just living each day as it comes. I don’t see what is so wrong with that.

Am I the only one?

P.S. if this needs to be moved, go ahead.

People pursue money in the hopes of one day being financially free.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:28 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,324,992 times
It is fine to live the way you do, if you are content. Since you say you are, why worry about it? It doesn't matter what others think does it? I could care less about the world's opinion, and you shouldn't either. I personally enjoy working and getting ahead, but not everyone does. I also like traveling, which would be difficult to do without money. When I get older, I don't want to worry about who will have to take care of me...I am saving for that. It is your choice to live as you see fit. Have at it.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:30 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,183,571 times
Imo being happy and content with what you have as long as your needs are met is just fine and dandy.
Kinda like it used to be back in the day when I grew up.
Too many people in todays society want it all, want it now, and don't care about anything but material things and keeping up with or surpassing whatever their neighbors have.
You probably sleep good at night thankfull that you have what you need and not lay awake trying to figure out how to impress somebody.
Nothing at all wrong with living the simple life.
Actualy, I think that is the best life of all.
It is how I live my life. I don't care about being rich or noticed.
I have a wife of 30 years and 6 kids. We never went hungry and never lacked a car to drive or a decent house in a safe neighborhood to live in.
Thats all that mattered to us. We had all we needed.
If you are happy, don't concern yourself with what others think.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:01 AM

1,298 posts, read 2,242,751 times
To me, it all depends on what a person wants, and if that's what you want, then so be it. Why do you need confirmation from others to feel this way?

Even living simple, there are goals, to do a a good job, to be a good son/daughter/friend. To say you have no goals, like I stated to me, is sad.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:49 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,649,873 times
Quote:
I have always led a very simple life. I left high school and got a job right away. I work my job knowing full well that there is no room for me to move up - and that's completely fine by me - I love my workmates and coming into work every day.

Everyone around me seems to be so greedy. They all want more money, better jobs, better titles. Sure, we'd all like more money. I wouldn't mind a holiday or 2 every year, but I don't get depressed about it.

People seem to be so constantly money-hungry and never satisfied with their lives. They do anything for a buck. Get rich quick schemes, the lottery, stock market. I don't get how they can't see just how lucky they are already, to have the things that they do.

Maybe I just appreciate the small things. I don't care what my house looks like as long as I have a roof over my head. I have people around me who love me and I am forever grateful for that. I feel good, I look good, I enjoy life. I don't have any kids and don't plan on having any, so I have enough money and freedom to do what I want, when I want.

I feel like the only one in the world. People tend to look down on me because I have no goals and am happy just living each day as it comes. I don’t see what is so wrong with that.

Am I the only one?

Those people may have grown up as unaccepted by their family or society or friends. Or they like fine things and need more money for that. I'm simple, but not in the sense that I like to travel. Simple in the sense that I don'tneed designer clothes or fancy car, but I do like Good food, vacation, good books, good bike, etc.. cost money.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:56 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,377,433 times
Quote:

Am I the only one?

There is not right or wrong. Whatever works for you and makes you happy is your "right", the same way with other people.

The respect for the other people's choices is what is called PEACE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships