Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 06:46 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
Distasteful? You think what I am saying is repugnant, disgusting, revolting? Why?
Actually, the attitude of moral superiority is what's distasteful. You kind of set yourself up as a model of behavior. By your own words, people who actually might want more from their careers, a nicer home, or more financially security are morally suspect. It's preening self-righteousness and it kind of rubbed me the wrong way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 06:47 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,114,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I actually agree with you. But I look askance at the OP's distasteful argument. Because what it really is is a bit of self-aggrandizing about her own virtue, while all the rest are somehow morally inferior.
I don't think the intent was distasteful.
..... just a different view point

Old 04-04-2011, 06:48 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
We have these things in Australia called superannuation funds. Money from our wage is deducted and put into our Super Fund, for every week we work over our entire working life.

Thanks, but we don’t need your help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superannuation_in_Australia
Actually, this has nothing to do with Australian/US relations, although I admire your attempt to deflect. Simply put all those nice little pension funds, regardless of the country of origin are largely Ponzi schemes that assume that the following generation will be able to pay the inevitable shortfall.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:56 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
Our nations prisons are full of people who couldn't be satisfied with the simple life.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:57 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,212,779 times
Quote:
Actually, the attitude of moral superiority is what's distasteful. You kind of set yourself up as a model of behavior. By your own words, people who actually might want more from their careers, a nicer home, or more financially security are morally suspect. It's preening self-righteousness and it kind of rubbed me the wrong way.

I think nothing of the sort!

What did I say to make you think that I think I am somehow morally better than those who strive for more? I don’t think that at all!

Old 04-04-2011, 06:59 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times
Quote:
I actually agree with you. But I look askance at the OP's distasteful argument. Because what it really is is a bit of self-aggrandizing about her own virtue, while all the rest are somehow morally inferior.
Everyone should go for what will make them happy and everyone has their personal idea of what that means. I think vanilla was more talking about the materialistic nature that a lot of us fall into and I have and do sometimes also but the simple things and just being alive in general is something that is true wealth.

When I was a teen, and I think most can relate, my friends and I never had a lot of money but we always had fun and great times. Looking back at that it was some of the best times and most personal.

I guess I 'll go deep here so maybe you all can understand my mind set. Back in 2009 my house was robbed, and a couple of my guitars stolen one being the one I had for decades that was my one and only for a long time with lots of personal memories on. I became depressed, I became mad, I became dark in feelings to who had stolen them. I looked everywhere for months determined to get them back. Even though I had other guitars still.

I became overtaken by items, "things". I felt like there was a dark evil something growing in me with the depression and anger and I daydreamed of doing violent things to those thieves.. I broke down and read some chapters pertaining to this, and I prayed for help, I prayed to let go of this anger and obsession which was festering and eating at me and move on. And like instantly I felt relieved, I felt cheery, I felt I had reclaimed to knowing what is important in life and it is not items or "things". I re-learned a lesson I forgot and know that I might fall into again but hopefully not. Besides what comes out on guitar comes out through me and I carry that with me anyway. Yes I still cherish my guitars but I was struck with item worshiping and it was a dark manifestation leading to unhappiness.

And do you know what happened after I let go of them and reclaimed my sanity and happiness after praying and being helped? I got a call a few days later by someone who saw them and I wound up getting them back.....

And that is my unique experience with that, that I hesitated to share because it is personal but maybe might help others.....

Old 04-04-2011, 07:00 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,383,485 times
Quote:
I think nothing of the sort!

What did I say to make you think that I think I am somehow morally better than those who strive for more? I don’t think that at all!
VG, almost your entire original post had that message and gave out that vibe. You may not say that directly, but calling those who are striving for more money "greedy" and "money-hungry" just screams "I'm better than them". Just re-read it again, you may see what we are talking about.

Quote:
Everyone around me seems to be so greedy. They all want more money, better jobs, better titles. Sure, we'd all like more money. I wouldn't mind a holiday or 2 every year, but I don't get depressed about it.

People seem to be so constantly money-hungry and never satisfied with their lives. They do anything for a buck. Get rich quick schemes, the lottery, stock market. I don't get how they can't see just how lucky they are already, to have the things that they do.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:16 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
Quote:
I have always led a very simple life. I left high school and got a job right away. I work my job knowing full well that there is no room for me to move up - and that's completely fine by me - I love my workmates and coming into work every day.

Everyone around me seems to be so greedy. They all want more money, better jobs, better titles. Sure, we'd all like more money. I wouldn't mind a holiday or 2 every year, but I don't get depressed about it.

People seem to be so constantly money-hungry and never satisfied with their lives. They do anything for a buck. Get rich quick schemes, the lottery, stock market. I don't get how they can't see just how lucky they are already, to have the things that they do.

Maybe I just appreciate the small things. I don't care what my house looks like as long as I have a roof over my head. I have people around me who love me and I am forever grateful for that. I feel good, I look good, I enjoy life. I don't have any kids and don't plan on having any, so I have enough money and freedom to do what I want, when I want.

I feel like the only one in the world. People tend to look down on me because I have no goals and am happy just living each day as it comes. I don’t see what is so wrong with that.

Am I the only one?

P.S. if this needs to be moved, go ahead.
I think that's awesome I thought for most of my life I'd be happy living a "simple life," but after I moved away from home at 18 and got out into the world, something changed. I think it's great that people can be happy with a simple life, and am somewhat envious.

I've got plans. I'm complex, but not complicated. But I'm content

Old 04-04-2011, 07:22 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,212,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
VG, almost your entire original post had that message and gave out that vibe. You may not say that directly, but calling those who are striving for more money "greedy" and "money-hungry" just screams "I'm better than them". Just re-read it again, you may see what we are talking about.

Quote:
I don’t look down on anyone who chooses to strive for more. Good for them! I am talking about the money is everything people. The people who strive to be pretentious show-offs. If you want to work hard to support your family and give them a comfortable lifestyle, so be it.

Quote:
The last sentence is really what I was trying to get across here. Money isn’t everything. There is more to life and you are lucky to live in the place(s) you do, with clean drinking water, housing and food everywhere.

Sigh... some day I will create a thread on CD where I won't have to explain myself. THAT'S a goal for sure.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:27 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,383,485 times
Quote:

I don’t look down on anyone who chooses to strive for more. Good for them! I am talking about the money is everything people. The people who strive to be pretentious show-offs. If you want to work hard to support your family and give them a comfortable lifestyle, so be it.

The last sentence is really what I was trying to get across here. Money isn’t everything. There is more to life and you are lucky to live in the place(s) you do, with clean drinking water, housing and food everywhere.

Sigh... some day I will create a thread on CD where I won't have to explain myself. THAT'S a goal for sure.
Every time you create a thread, expect people to challenge your views. You have said that you feel like the only one in the world and that people look down on you, so ALL people around you are pretentious show-offs?
Sorry girl, no matter how you slice it, your original post was snobbish with superior undertones. Even if you didn't mean it that way, it sure came off that way and it kind of turned me off, even though the premise of the thread was good.

Anyway, as I said before, if you found peace with your lifestyle, it's fantastic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships