Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 05:09 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,243,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
What would I think? "Oh, honey, you shouldn't have!"
Now that's a goodie (particularly if you actually say it!)!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 05:50 PM

2,652 posts, read 4,803,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
If money is tight, why not contribute? I mean, you are a loving couple after all, a team, right?
Yes. Add three dollars to get a $20 ring. Awww, perfect.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:57 PM

7,371 posts, read 16,038,654 times
Buy it, but make sure to insure it.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:16 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,136,492 times
Quote:
So if a man's worth is measured on how much he could spend for the ring and have a woman worried because he didn't spend as much as a woman expects/demand, how is a woman's worth calculated if women are not known for spending money on men?
A mans worth is not measured on how much he could spend on the ring.

Traditions and customs entail that a woman recieves a ring when being proposed to.

IF he can only afford $20, then considering that I spend more on coffee in one week than the ring that will turn my finger black (for cheap metal will do that) then I would consider if we were financially ready to be married.

There is nothing wrong with giving what you can afford. There is something wrong if you're 30 years old and you have no savings and no plan for a future. Then again, I haven't been in a relationship with someone who is careless in important things in life.

I've been given rings before one worth around $200 and one a helluva lot more.

I never measured either man on their worth on the ring they offered me.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:20 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,003,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Nobody buying a $17 ring has any business buying a house anyway.
I'll leave the ring where it is and buy the house.

I can cook, I can clean, I can sew, I can decorate...

My father used to say that; "Two can live as cheaply as one".
It took a number of years before I realized how sarcastic he was being.

Yeah, the ring can stay there and I'll buy the house for myself.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:17 PM

2,058 posts, read 3,307,955 times
I would say "wow that's not me at all. thanks for being so thoughtful-NOT!" but you arent going to believe me anyways, so what's the point?

Old 04-06-2011, 11:23 PM

2,058 posts, read 3,307,955 times
i love this ring Sterling Silver Heart-cut White Opal Ring | Overstock.com

*shrug*

edit: and how much different is it than this one? http://www.overstock.com/Jewelry-Wat...0/product.html
not much!

Old 04-07-2011, 09:50 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,289,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Childfree35 View Post
Yes. Add three dollars to get a $20 ring. Awww, perfect.
Women can be quite strict with their ring and how they expect/demand their man to do some spending and if not, then “aaaw perfect”, cheap ring or expensive ring. Do you have the same attitude if your guy expects you to cook gourmet meals in a snap while he watches the game? Do you have the same attitude if your guy expects you to have the house spotlessly clean and fast on a Saturday morning before his buddies arrive to visit? Women can be quite demanding when it comes to their ring but I was wondering if they are totally fine if something is expected/demanded from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
A mans worth is not measured on how much he could spend on the ring
But women doubt a guy is worth it if he can’t afford their long awaited ring or if he buys her a cheap one. Like I said, if women were also expected to spend more than 3 months of their salary on a gift for their guy maybe they wouldn’t be as strict when it comes to how much a man spends on them. I guess the ring tradition is another privilege women wouldn’t want to change.

Quote:
Traditions and customs entail that a woman receives a ring when being proposed to
Are there any traditions/customs that entitle men to something and women today are totally fine to do for their men and not have that tradition changed?

Quote:
IF he can only afford $20, then considering that I spend more on coffee in one week than the ring that will turn my finger black (for cheap metal will do that) then I would consider if we were financially ready to be married
Not sure if the word “WE” can be used here considering how it is men who are expected to follow this tradition and make sure their woman is totally satisfied with his purchase of the ring.

After reading many comments here, I guess I was not that far off when I said women DO consider the ring important to the point of even dumping the guy.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:49 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,204,974 times
Quote:
After reading many comments here, I guess I was not that far off when I said women DO consider the ring important to the point of even dumping the guy.
Then I think you only read a few of the posts. I think most of us made it quite clear that the ring is not that important and that if we loved someone, and they couldn't afford a ring, it wouldn't matter. I told my first fiance that I would be fine with a cracker jack ring. It wasn't the ring that was important but the commitment. Until you understand that love isn't only about money - you will never understand love. All you see are dollar signs. Almost every single time you post - it's only about money. Love is not about money. It just isn't. I know, I know, I'm wasting my breath... Oh well.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:48 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,289,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Then I think you only read a few of the posts. I think most of us made it quite clear that the ring is not that important and that if we loved someone, and they couldn't afford a ring, it wouldn't matter. I told my first fiance that I would be fine with a cracker jack ring. It wasn't the ring that was important but the commitment. Until you understand that love isn't only about money - you will never understand love. All you see are dollar signs. Almost every single time you post - it's only about money. Love is not about money. It just isn't. I know, I know, I'm wasting my breath... Oh well.
Not about money because I could care less if she gave me a cracker jack ring either, heck, I would consider it a waste of money to have her spend more than 3 months of her salary on a piece of metal I will wear on my hand (not that women would really spend that much on a man, would they?). I wonder how many women have married WITHOUT a ring at all or proposal or without asking their guy to buy them a ring later on after they get married, but instead, they both prepared a romantic evening to talk about their relationship and decide to get married…without a ring AT ALL.

If some women in here have expressed how a man not buying an expensive ring shows he’s not financially ready to get married. I wonder if there is a determinant out there that shows a woman is not ready to get married and should be avoided.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships