Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 11:50 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,847,266 times

Advertisements

I think you should spend at least a couple hundred dollars on an engagement ring, but that's just me. I like nice jewelry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 12:05 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,200,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Not about money because I could care less if she gave me a cracker jack ring either, heck, I would consider it a waste of money to have her spend more than 3 months of her salary on a piece of metal I will wear on my hand (not that women would really spend that much on a man, would they?). I wonder how many women have married WITHOUT a ring at all or proposal or without asking their guy to buy them a ring later on after they get married, but instead, they both prepared a romantic evening to talk about their relationship and decide to get married…without a ring AT ALL.

If some women in here have expressed how a man not buying an expensive ring shows he’s not financially ready to get married. I wonder if there is a determinant out there that shows a woman is not ready to get married and should be avoided.
And yet you still bring it back to money... And how that's all women care about... Funny. Either you'll finally understand what love is when you finally fall in love - or you'll never fall in love because you think it's all about money and what she can give you versus what you can give her. Love is about so much more than you comprehend. I hope you are upfront with anyone you date- I'm not paying for you, I'm not going to give you a ring, I'm not going to open doors for you, I expect you to do all this for me or for us to meet halfway otherwise I'm going to think you are a golddigger!

Old 04-07-2011, 12:06 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,526,731 times

Old 04-07-2011, 12:18 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,013,391 times
Oh Honey!!, you shouldn't have....I always wanted a Cracker Jack ring!

Old 04-07-2011, 12:24 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,288,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
And yet you still bring it back to money... And how that's all women care about... Funny
Funny to see women saying how the ring pretty much determines his value as a future husband. Look back at comments women have made.

Quote:
I hope you are upfront with anyone you date- I'm not paying for you, I'm not going to give you a ring, I'm not going to open doors for you, I expect you to do all this for me or for us to meet halfway otherwise I'm going to think you are a golddigger!
I have already mentioned what kind of girls I go out with but you chose to ignore it.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:29 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,200,844 times
Quote:
Funny to see women saying how the ring pretty much determines his value as a future husband. Look back at comments women have made.

I have already mentioned what kind of girls I go out with but you chose to ignore it.
Just like you to choose to ignore all the many, many comments women have made about how the ring doesn't matter??? Like I said, love is not a big dollar sign. I know, I'm wasting my breath. I'm must be glutton for punishment. Oh well - I'm happily married. What do I care what skewed ideas you have!

Old 04-07-2011, 12:33 PM

36,634 posts, read 30,953,043 times
Quote:
I wonder how many women have married WITHOUT a ring at all or proposal or without asking their guy to buy them a ring later on after they get married, but instead, they both prepared a romantic evening to talk about their relationship and decide to get married…without a ring AT ALL.
I did. Twice.

Quote:
If some women in here have expressed how a man not buying an expensive ring shows he’s not financially ready to get married. I wonder if there is a determinant out there that shows a woman is not ready to get married and should be avoided.
IMO. If she is still in HS. If she cant go a day without calling her mother. If she dosent have a degree or job.

Being that historically the husband is the breadwinner and hh, it is of importance that he is financially able to support the hh. "The ring" is not only a symbol of commitment but also that he can provide for a family. Of course families would want their daughter to "marry well" and be taken care of so the nicer the ring, the better she would be provided for. Marriage is a business transaction. Image and packaging are important in this type of business.

This is not so much true today, thus so so many responses by women stating the ring is not important.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:41 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,748,747 times
Quote:
Not about money because I could care less if she gave me a cracker jack ring either, heck, I would consider it a waste of money to have her spend more than 3 months of her salary on a piece of metal I will wear on my hand (not that women would really spend that much on a man, would they?). I wonder how many women have married WITHOUT a ring at all or proposal or without asking their guy to buy them a ring later on after they get married, but instead, they both prepared a romantic evening to talk about their relationship and decide to get married…without a ring AT ALL.
The three-month thing is a myth, as some people have said. It's sad how many men and women continue to believe it.

To address your "wonder," I imagine that few people marry without rings. Wedding rings are traditional and most people (men and women) use them in their marriage ceremony. If you are wondering about engagement rings, a few women on the board have told you they did not receive engagement rings.

Quote:
I think most of the negative responses have been about the cheapness and gaudiness of the ring. The ring received poor reviews, apparently quickly falling apart. A genuine ring of that size would cost thousands of dollars and would not "go" with the rest of the wearer's appearance. The woman who wears a $17 CZ bauble is not going to have the style and quality of clothing that should accompany that kind of money. A few people have suggested tasteful, higher-quality rings for under $100. I don't think the OP genuinely wanted to buy that ring, anyway.

Of course there are signs that a woman is bad news. There are reality shows about these women. There are dozens of threads about them.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:19 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,288,291 times
2mares,
So you both proposed to each other or how did it go? Interesting. You also didn’t ask him for a ring later on once he saved enough money for it, right? Lots of women even ask their husband to even invest more and UPGRADE their ring whenever he saves enough. Good for you.

Quote:
IMO. If she is still in HS. If she cant go a day without calling her mother. If she dosent have a degree or job
Hhhhmmm I think having a degree or job would be nice but then again, men generally wouldn’t really care. As long as she’s attractive to his eyes and nice to be with, that’s it. Maybe people expect less from women? Even women know men are not as strict or picky as women are when it comes to choosing a mate.

Quote:
Being that historically the husband is the breadwinner and hh, it is of importance that he is financially able to support the hh
I guess so.

Quote:
"The ring" is not only a symbol of commitment but also that he can provide for a family. Of course families would want their daughter to "marry well" and be taken care of so the nicer the ring, the better she would be provided for. Marriage is a business transaction. Image and packaging are important in this type of business.
Could be seen as a business transaction like you said but not sure if we can use that example as in a business transaction if only one is investing, evaluated, analyzed, put through tests to see if he has the resources, etc. Her family will want to see that their daughter marries well, that she’s being provided, etc. Therefore, like you said, an expensive ring will show that. Does she have anything to prove as well to him and his family other than simply accepting the marriage proposal?

Quote:
This is not so much true today, thus so so many responses by women stating the ring is not important
Some women judge the man depending on how much he spends on her ring and others don’t. Imagine if women were judged as strict before getting married.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
It's sad how many men and women continue to believe it
I know, huh? But I also find it sad how men are judged depending on how much they spend on their woman, in this case, their ring.

Quote:
If you are wondering about engagement rings, a few women on the board have told you they did not receive engagement rings
Yes, just a few have said they did not receive one at all or asked her husband to get them one as soon as he saved enough while others wouldn’t get married to the guy if he didn’t spend enough which would put a question mark over his head about him being her good provider and breadwinner. Now imagine if the guy simply didn’t buy a ring AT ALL to those who have not been married yet.

Quote:
A few people have suggested tasteful, higher-quality rings for under $100. I don't think the OP genuinely wanted to buy that ring, anyway
Could be, eh?

Old 04-07-2011, 01:20 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,526,731 times
If a girl complained about the ring I gave her, I would thank her for not wasting my time and dump her on the spot.

Why would you want to get married with a woman with a sense of entitlment so early in a relationship?

Nowadays, marriage is really not an obligation, it's a tradition. Rings are even more superficial.

Sure, women like it when you spend all kinds of money on them. Who doesn't like gifts? I like gifts too. Why won't my partner who makes plenty of money buy me a sport car to prove her undying love?

I'm not cheap. I spend a lot of money on the woman I'm with. I buy her gifts for no reason, some times pretty expensive ones because money is good but it wasn't always the case, espeically when we met. So I know for a fact that she doesn't EXPECT anything out of me except my love and respect.

Find yourself someone who is actually interested in you and not at the money you shell out. In fact, I'd find myself someone who doesn't NEED to get married.

Sometimes I wonder if we really are in the 2010's. I have no idea how some women rationalize this welfare mentality...HE NEEDS TO SPEND BIG BUCKS ON ME OR ELSE...! The first image that pops to my mind when I read comments like "I would doubt him a little..." is this:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships