Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 10:19 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,771,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Realize this female might not care that much for you as a guy; She may have been "trained" to recruit potential (collection plate contributing) members.
I do not like that approach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 10:52 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I met a gal last week. We've talked on the phone a few times. We haven't been on a date yet........she's already asking me to attend church.

I told her I don't like church. She said......."that's going to be a problem"......and she goes on to say.."I am god fearing....yada,yada,yada, I sing in the choir, blah,blah, blah....etc."

I thought to myself..."I don't even know her last name yet and she's already inviting me to church"......she's right, that is going to be a problem...not mine, but hers.

I NEVER accept invites from anyone to go to church. NEVER. Not that I would not attend but I'd rather select my own church and attend by myself.

Ok........how soon is to soon to be inviting someone to church?

...and how often does this come into play in YOUR relationships?
Who cares? She sounds like a little bit of a nut job. Avoid those.

Old 04-13-2014, 11:11 AM

288 posts, read 255,702 times
The only time I would even suggest a guy go to church with me is if we were at my moms for a holiday dinner and church was to follow aka Christmas midnight mass etc. I would also forewarn if not comfortable going he could stay behind at home . It's not that big of a deal, I go to church on Sundays when I visit my mom and major holidays, so asking a guy to go on a regular basis wouldn't really be happening. I've dated guys of many faiths, but they were non practicing and only went to church with family also on major holidays.

Old 04-13-2014, 11:42 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,145,247 times
IN my dealings with churchy girls all I can say is get rid of her like bad seafood. These things never end well.

Old 04-13-2014, 05:01 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,904,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I agree!! Not only is actively practicing her religion a big part of her life, but by hoping that you were also a god-fearing christian and a church-goer, she was hoping that you were husband material. She's not looking for a casual relationship, she wants a serious one with marriage as its goal.

Also, by you attending church with her, it was her way of letting the other women at her church know that you're her man. Sort of a declaration of territory.

You are lucky to find out right away that she isn't compatible with you.
On the surface, an invitation to church seem earnest and harmless and good. Generally, there's absolutely nothing wrong with a church invite, even if it's early on in the relationship.

But as you suggested, I think there might ulterior motives in that invite.

Ultimately, I'd like to choose a church that neither me nor my partner frequently attends and make it our church home.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:03 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,214,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
This is what I would do if I were a church-goer, and I'd mention the denomination to avoid the potential awkwardness of "come to my church" and then finding out it's a completely different denomination.
The op should have invited her to the demon gates of hell, to party! That would have gotten rid of her ... or maybe not.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:06 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,214,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
On the surface, an invitation to church seem earnest and harmless and good. Generally, there's absolutely nothing wrong with a church invite, even if it's early on in the relationship.

But as you suggested, I think there might ulterior motives in that invite.

Ultimately, I'd like to choose a church that neither me nor my partner frequently attends and make it our church home.
She might possibly have been thinking sex AFTER church? It's happened before on a nice sunday afternoon.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:42 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,602,889 times
Quote:
she's right, that is going to be a problem...not mine, but hers.
It's not a matter of it being her problem or your problem. The fact that you view it as being one or the other is a bit concerning. In reality it's just a problem of compatibility between the two of you. I would move on to someone with whom I was more compatible.

Quote:
I NEVER accept invites from anyone to go to church. NEVER.
Exactly. So...find someone who has a similar outlook regarding this. It's not rocket science.

Quote:
Ok........how soon is to soon to be inviting someone to church?
No time is too soon. If two people are into that, it wouldn't be a big deal at all. It's not a matter of timing; it's a matter of interpersonal compatibility.

Quote:
...and how often does this come into play in YOUR relationships?
It doesn't, but that's because I don't date religious people.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:55 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,998,293 times
I agree with pretty much everything nearnorth said.

I have never been invited to church by a potential date.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:35 PM

181 posts, read 218,043 times
I think churchgoers who want to date and court are better off finding partners at their own churches or neighboring churches. Churches are great at building community and generating social capital. They are highly social places, so I wouldn't be surprised if people choose to use a church for secular reasons: marriage, funeral, baby naming ceremony (baptism, sort of), friendships, relationships, courtships, appearing pious, arguing with your next-door neighbor, teaching morals and values to youngsters in a social environment that wouldn't be taught in a public school or private home, and so much more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships