Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 10:13 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,179,786 times

Advertisements

I met a gal last week. We've talked on the phone a few times. We haven't been on a date yet........she's already asking me to attend church.

I told her I don't like church. She said......."that's going to be a problem"......and she goes on to say.."I am god fearing....yada,yada,yada, I sing in the choir, blah,blah, blah....etc."

I thought to myself..."I don't even know her last name yet and she's already inviting me to church"......she's right, that is going to be a problem...not mine, but hers.

I NEVER accept invites from anyone to go to church. NEVER. Not that I would not attend but I'd rather select my own church and attend by myself.

Ok........how soon is to soon to be inviting someone to church?

...and how often does this come into play in YOUR relationships?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 10:18 AM

7,507 posts, read 4,397,713 times
I'm a church girl, and I don't invite someone to go to church unless I know them for quite a while. Maybe 8 months to a year or longer. I prefer to know where they stand when it comes to churches and religions before asking them. If they refuse, that's fine by me.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anberlin View Post
I'm a church girl, and I don't invite someone to go to church unless I know them for quite a while. Maybe 8 months to a year or longer. I prefer to know where they stand when it comes to churches and religions before asking them. If they refuse, that's fine by me.
Great answer and it shows good judgment.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:22 AM

2,652 posts, read 4,796,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I met a gal last week. We've talked on the phone a few times. We haven't been on a date yet........she's already asking me to attend church.

I told her I don't like church. She said......."that's going to be a problem"......and she goes on to say.."I am god fearing....yada,yada,yada, I sing in the choir, blah,blah, blah....etc."

I thought to myself..."I don't even know her last name yet and she's already inviting me to church"......she's right, that is going to be a problem...not mine, but hers.

I NEVER accept invites from anyone to go to church. NEVER. Not that I would not attend but I'd rather select my own church and attend by myself.

Church is one of her questions. Like for me, do you have kids.

She's feeling you out. She wants a church going guy. A guy open to church. Doesn't sound like that's you. Some church people or bible thumpers will press you into going. Tell you why you should. What will happen if you don't.

I have a new sister...long story. She invited me to her church. I said, no. I don't attend church. Why this. Why that. I said, no period.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:26 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:

For people living their lives very involved in their church community it is perfectly normal to invite a new friend, or date, to attend with them right off the bat.

She was smart to get your reaction, because now she knows you are not her type of guy.

Move along - next!

Old 04-22-2011, 10:26 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,139,890 times
Quote:
It never has. I suppose I can go to churn once or twice a year (it won't kill me), but chances are pretty good that I and a churchgoer won't mesh anyway, so it's a moot point in reality.

I feel the need to go to church very occasionally myself, but that's more about missing my traditions, country, parents, way of life, etc. than about the church itself.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:30 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,806,250 times
Quote:

Old 04-22-2011, 10:31 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,549,496 times
I'll bet if she wanted "SEX ALREADY" you wouldnt be so reluctant

Old 04-22-2011, 10:32 AM

7,507 posts, read 4,397,713 times
Quote:
Great answer and it shows good judgment.
I respect people's choice and decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
For people living their lives very involved in their church community it is perfectly normal to invite a new friend, or date, to attend with them right off the bat.

She was smart to get your reaction, because now she knows you are not her type of guy.

Move along - next!
It's quite true actually. Inviting people to their church community is very common but can be done in a rude way by pressuring them.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anberlin View Post
I respect people's choice and decision.

It's quite true actually. Inviting people to their church community is very common but can be done in a rude way by pressuring them.
There lies the issue.........it was a turn off the way it was done and I do think it was too soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships