Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 07:19 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,426,017 times

Advertisements

Yes cut back on the cheeseburgers and get more exercise, that is your first step.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 07:28 AM

160 posts, read 454,483 times
There is a seat for every a** - including yours :-)

What do you want your life to look like?
I ran into my man at a friends party. Never in a million years would I, the uptight vegetarian runner, think that I wanted a big guy that loved Arby's but here I am :-) His biggest asset is that he makes me laugh, hard, every day!
What do you like to do? Are there classes you'd like to take? Gardens to explore? Movies to watch? Adventures to live? Is your passport current?
It seems as though, when we are busy living our lives, and especially if you have a plan, that's when the guy shows up :-)

Old 05-02-2011, 03:22 PM

43 posts, read 69,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
Yes cut back on the cheeseburgers and get more exercise, that is your first step.
I am not sure if you are making fun of me or just offering a sincere advice. I don't like this answer. FYI, I am vegeterian.

Old 05-02-2011, 03:26 PM

43 posts, read 69,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donie1 View Post
First things first, do you like the way you look? If you're not confident in your appearance, then do something about it. Go to Curves, rent exercise tapes, etc. Go on a diet. Spend some time on working on you first. Also have hobbies so that you can be around people that like what you are interested in. Volunteer. Join Book Clubs. Get yourself out there to meet people.

i joined a gym a few years ago. Lost all the weight that I need to lose. Got attention from one guy there that i couldn't handle. I quit the gym and I am back to my old weight again.

so you guys are basically saying that i don't have any chances unless I lose the weight. right? fine, I got that.

But I feel very lonely. what can I do about this?

Old 05-02-2011, 03:42 PM

3,261 posts, read 5,304,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlegendfan View Post
How can I get a date? I am very lonely in a big city and I know nobody.
life is passing me by and I don't meet any guys..
I am a bit sad and don't know what to do.
is 36 too old to start dating ? I think I look older because I am overweight. what are my chances to get dates?

I welcome any ideas and/or critics.
I'm not sure how much of a factor your weight plays in your loneliness (if at all), but being alone & lonely in a new city is a recipe for depression and boredom, which can only exacerbate your weight issues.

I think one thing you should do is start socially networking, not with the intent to meet a guy, but to make some friends. It's not always easy meeting people in the hustle & bustle of a big city and being in your mid-30's, so you may want to sign up at a gym, take yoga classes, join a biking or walking club. This way you could kill two birds with one stone.

If losing weight, in your opinion is not on your agenda, at the minimum, find an activity of interest outside your home that is group-oriented. A good social life will enrich your life, partner or not.

Last edited by robee70; 05-02-2011 at 04:21 PM..

Old 05-02-2011, 03:58 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
Quote:
is 36 too old to start dating ? I think I look older because I am overweight. what are my chances to get dates?

There's only one solution that will definitely turn your fortunes around.

100% guaranteed.

Lose the weight.

Old 05-02-2011, 04:19 PM

936 posts, read 2,061,172 times
Quote:
i joined a gym a few years ago. Lost all the weight that I need to lose. Got attention from one guy there that i couldn't handle. I quit the gym and I am back to my old weight again.

so you guys are basically saying that i don't have any chances unless I lose the weight. right? fine, I got that.

First, let go of trying to find dates right now. Loneliness makes you reek of desperation, and dating when you're desperate for attention or affection is the kiss of death. Put it to the side, stick a pin in it, and leave it alone.

For now, just try to build up your circle of friends and acquaintances. Meetup.com and other similar sites are good for this. Use the meetup groups to get out of the house. Look for people whose company you like--not people you're interested in romantically. There's always one in the group that's there to cruise. Don't be that person!

Find something to do every weekend day, and at least one weekday each week for three months. Something where you can interact with another person--movies don't count unless you're *making* a movie. You're going to have to work at this. You'll get stuck really fast. Be bold. Take chances. Try things you think you may not like.

The goal in all this is to lower the stakes...reduce the desperation, and just explore interests and places. You won't feel so isolated, and along the way, you'll find things that you can share with other people.

Later on, you'll start sharing them.

Work the plan, and the plan will work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
There's only one solution that will definitely turn your fortunes around.

100% guaranteed.

Lose the weight.
That's not guaranteed, either. If you're fat and nuts, and you lose weight, you're still nuts.

Old 05-02-2011, 04:26 PM

525 posts, read 1,555,331 times
Dress sexy. Go to bar and guys will fly to you like honey to a beehive

Old 05-02-2011, 04:38 PM

31,035 posts, read 22,070,533 times
Quote:

Not always true! Theres some skinny dried out woman who look terrible. I will go out with a heavier woman before looking at a concentration camp victim any day of the week. You better be interested in men older than you because thats your best chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieCountrycm View Post
Good way to catch a "Bad Boy" if you want one of those!

When these questions come up, post a picture, both men and woman. How can you ask a question and say I looks "XX" what should I do, with out objective evidence to go off of.

Last edited by LS Jaun; 05-02-2011 at 04:59 PM..

Old 05-02-2011, 05:49 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,883,560 times
Quote:

Going to hop aboard the "lose the weight" train. Choo choo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieCountrycm View Post
This is a privilege of girls who are young and thin. Everyone else, male or female, has to put some effort in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships