Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 05:53 PM

5,325 posts, read 6,117,726 times

Advertisements

Because Men do most of the approaching so a shy female might be able to come out of her shell if a guy gets the ball rolling..A socially awkward Male has to approach a women and be the one to engage in the conversation first which is extremely hard..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 05:54 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,399,567 times
Is there some class the socially awkward can take to become less socially awkward?

The reason I ask is because my mom is a prime example of social awkwardness. Her biggest thing is not knowing how to read body language. If she is talking (which is always) and the person on the receiving end is yawning, looking away, trying to converse with others, generally ignoring her and appearing disinterested, she just keeps on goin. When she is finally out of breath, she'll stop. Later on, she'll have to gall to talk about the person's rudeness behind their back, particularly that it was so rude that they never asked how she was. But she not only is most of the time talking about herself, but she literally does not give you any wiggle room to interject.

She has been single for over 20 years...not one date. I'd like her to meet someone and get a life (she lives with my grandma and hasn't worked in 15 years), but her chances are slim. If a man is kind to her and says hello, she thinks it is because he wants her bod. No joke.

I think she'd do great with a socially awkward guy. But I'd appreciate any guy that could tolerate her.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:02 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,779,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
I was reading a comment in another thread and it got me thinking.

If you were to take a geeky, socially awkward male and an equally geeky, socially awkward female, the socially awkward female would have a better social life and a better love life.

Why do you think this is
Actually I agree with this assessment -- in my earlier post on male love-shyness, Dr. Gilmartin (who was the original researcher on straight male love-shyness), strongly makes the same point, several times, in his book. He makes the case that because men are automatically expected to do "the chasing", even shy women are going to end up having successful relationships, whereas shy / love-shy men are at a distinct disadvantage there (as women are much less likely to pursue guys, on their own initiative).

Last edited by Phoenix2017; 05-16-2011 at 08:03 PM.. Reason: Adds

Old 05-16-2011, 08:18 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,033,040 times
A lot of the time social awkwardness is quite subjective.

Yes, there are people who all around have poor functioning in communication and personal relationships due to personal and mental issues, but I bet a lot of the times you put many "socially awkward" people with the people whose interests/personalities they are suited to be around, or generally like-minded folks, they'd click and have no problems communicating and act like the most outgoing people.

I'm willing to bet a lot of folks who consider themselves to have no problems with any awkwardness socializing or getting along could turn socially awkward if placed in a certain environment where you couldn't relate to (for instance, if you were thrown into a society or peer group whose temperament/values/lifestyle/hobbies/culture completely mismatched with your own)

Old 05-16-2011, 08:45 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,236,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
A lot of the time social awkwardness is quite subjective.

Yes, there are people who all around have poor functioning in communication and personal relationships due to personal and mental issues, but I bet a lot of the times you put many "socially awkward" people with the people whose interests/personalities they are suited to be around, or generally like-minded folks, they'd click and have no problems communicating and act like the most outgoing people.

I'm willing to bet a lot of folks who consider themselves to have no problems with any awkwardness socializing or getting along could turn socially awkward if placed in a certain environment where you couldn't relate to (for instance, if you were thrown into a society or peer group whose temperament/values/lifestyle/hobbies/culture completely mismatched with your own)
^^^ Good Point

Old 05-16-2011, 08:50 PM

924 posts, read 2,235,070 times
Quote:

If you were to take a geeky, socially awkward male and an equally geeky, socially awkward female, the socially awkward female would have a better social life and a better love life.

Why do you think this is
Because gender stereotypes still say that men should be confident while a women who are submissive is socially accepted.
Frankly I think I'd be into a shy bookwork type girl especially with glasses. And I bet a girl like that gets more dates than a guy with the same characteristics.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:58 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,326,689 times
I am not socially awkward enough to know...and I don't believe in the love shy male. Sorry.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:07 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,486,966 times
I think socially awkward whether male or female is still not going to get any action or a social life.

Not until they get out there, bite the bullet and try to be social will they be successful.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:31 PM

924 posts, read 2,235,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
I don't believe in the love shy male. Sorry.
What do you mean?

Old 05-17-2011, 12:41 AM

2,452 posts, read 3,592,845 times
Quote:

Why do you think this is
Easy; males are responsible for approaching and proving their worth to the women, so most women just lean back and pick who they feel like anyway. There aren't any real demand on women to be social in the initial stages...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships