Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 09:21 AM

2,501 posts, read 3,651,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i think it depends on what kind of media you expose yourself to.

New York-based media is hell bent on convincing men that they are supposed to be feminine little flowers, and that women are supposed to act like domineering b*tches. I hate it.
Yeesh! That sucks. I think yes in California it is the case for men to be feminine flowers. The domineering b itches part, not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 09:21 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,653,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerianMoonPrincess View Post
This somewhat relates to the Cosmo board. The majority of people answered "yes, it is BS." I find that to be interesting how so many people generalize what the opposite sex wants into one or several categories. What do you guys think?
I don't blame the media. I blame people for letting the media influence them so easily. So if a woman gets silly ideas about relationships from Cosmo, it's not the fault of Cosmo. It's hers.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:22 AM

2,501 posts, read 3,651,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I don't blame the media. I blame people for letting the media influence them so easily. So if a woman gets silly ideas about relationships from Cosmo, it's not the fault of Cosmo. It's hers.
I agree. And this is my point. Why do people let themselves be influences by BS?

Old 05-26-2011, 10:02 AM

10,177 posts, read 20,800,438 times
Quote:
I agree. And this is my point. Why do people let themselves be influences by BS?
It's the herd mentality.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:20 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,652,955 times
Quote:
Yeesh! That sucks. I think yes in California it is the case for men to be feminine flowers. The domineering b itches part, not so much.
I live in California and I disagree 100% with your statement... Im willing to bet there are as many 'feminine' men out here as there are nearly anywhere else. The men out here simply don't have to hide it like they would in some small Midwestern town.

And if you dont think there are domineering ******* in Ca, you aren't look g hard enough.

I think people are more similar than we give them credit for, regardless of where they live.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:29 AM

90 posts, read 115,772 times
I think most pop culture media has a negative effect on people, and often is based on false and shallow ideals.

That said, I don't have much sympathy for people who feel duped by what the magazines say. These magazines only exist since people are willing and able to buy them. If people didn't take their advice, they would have to change their advice or stop giving it in order to survive.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:48 AM

2,444 posts, read 3,587,205 times
Yes When I still watched TV I used to think there were nice and "innocent" girls... Now I know better.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:18 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,505,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I read Cosmo for years---for fun-around the time of Phil Donahue.

SATC was much more entertaining--pretty much the same thing.

yuk--now we are stuck with 'reality shows'--apparently illustrating the effects of the influences of the 'culture'.

Yippeeyay--to further counteract this many feel that 'Charter' schools are a solution--and they can be. 'Focus on character'---sounds good.

I was teaching 5th grade when Madonna arrived on the scene. Ah--the 80's. The leggings and jungle prints and the bows. The girls I taught were still 'good kids'---I don't know that the same can be said today.

With all the 'Telling of the Truth'--surely some have an idea of better choices.

shrug---If Beyonce can't make a believer of you--then no one can.??
She can wear anything she wants but certainly demonstrates that she respects herself.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:38 PM

31,077 posts, read 22,134,821 times
Quote:
This somewhat relates to the Cosmo board. The majority of people answered "yes, it is BS." I find that to be interesting how so many people generalize what the opposite sex wants into one or several categories. What do you guys think?
Yes, they have been doing it forever. The common saying that they used to not do it in the old days is bunk.

Old 05-28-2011, 12:11 AM

4,837 posts, read 8,862,274 times
Default Since The Late 60s...

...the MSM has been full of articles telling men what women want and what they can do to give it to them. All this time, divorce rates have skyrocketed during a period where ever fewer men were getting married.

At one time, men read this stuff and actually tried to put it into practice. The results were a dismal failure.

Most men no longer believe any of this self serving crap and have come to the realization that there is little that they can do to actually please women. Most of this material is merely a distillation of what women think they deserve, after they have picked the wrong candidates for a relationship.

They almost never look for any of these things before hand and in all likelihood, even if their SO had done them, they would almost certainly have found other things to complain about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships