Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How important to you is cooking ability in a potential girlfriend / wife?
The single most important thing 2 2.38%
Very important 15 17.86%
Somewhat important 28 33.33%
Not important at all 22 26.19%
People still choose their girlfriends / wives based on their cooking? 17 20.24%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 01:38 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,693,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
The husband could do all the cooking, a family can hire someone to cook, or healthy food can be bought. I don't believe anyone would ever post that a man can't be a good father if he doesn't know how to cook. Cooking and parenting are different skills. I know a couple of excellent mothers with very healthy, happy children who never cook.
What if the family falls on hard times, can't afford a professional cook, and can't afford to eat out? it happens every day in this country. Me, I can roast a chicken with veggies one day, then makes chicken tacos from the leftover meat on the carcass the next day, then do a chicken soup on day 3. That's 3 dinners based on what I bought for 1 meal. this is a handy skill to have, should I go through hard times. those who can't cook, what happens next when the money runs out? McDs dollar menu everyday? Ramen? sorry, you are a bad parent if you can't fix a meal for your kids, male or female. Some men know this, and intentionally choose a wife who can cook and believes it is important to run the household, because they cant do it themselves. Fair enough. we women can do the same, we could marry a low earning beta male who cooks everyday... but most women don't want to do that. We want someone who brings more than home making to the table.

your charges
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 01:39 PM

I hit send to soon - your claims of sexism don't wash.

Old 05-29-2011, 01:40 PM

2,412 posts, read 5,089,664 times
In this day and age with the recipes available on the internet, the videos..the step by step directions..Fred Flintstone could seem like a master chef. It's not that hard.

Old 05-29-2011, 01:42 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,686,242 times
Oh, right...I forgot. Men who can cook are betas who can't earn money.

Old 05-29-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optiflex View Post
In this day and age with the recipes available on the internet, the videos..the step by step directions..Fred Flintstone could seem like a master chef. It's not that hard.
Seriously. One doesn't need to cook well in order to make simple sandwiches, heat broth and add vegetables and meat, mix boiling water into grain to make hot cereal, toast bread, put peanut butter on it, boil an egg, wash and slice raw fruit and vegetables, make rice, etc.

Even people who don't cook well can feed their children.

Old 05-29-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Oh, right...I forgot. Men who can cook are betas who can't earn money.
You are intentionally being obtuse, probably a feminist type, so you are going here instead of admitting that cooking is an important skill for a parent to have, ESPECIALLY mothers. Yes I said it, it is more important for a mother to be able to cook than a father. Why? Because we have a high divorce rate in this country, and mothers usually get custody of their kids. If the worst happens and you become the sole care giver, you should know how to cook.

Old 05-29-2011, 01:52 PM

At any point, do you plan on addressing the actual thread topic, which is about cooking WELL, not about being incapable of boiling water and therefore being a danger to your children, should you find yourself a single parent?

Basically, anybody can cook. Not everyone can cook a variety of foods well, or cook complicated dishes well. But anybody, regardless of gender, should be able to assemble healthful meals for a dependent child, whether or not they are particularly skilled at cooking. One needn't actually cook AT ALL to prepare nutritious food for one's family, when it comes right down to it. Not everything healthy is even cooked in the first place.

Old 05-29-2011, 02:02 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,209,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
What if the family falls on hard times, can't afford a professional cook, and can't afford to eat out? it happens every day in this country. Me, I can roast a chicken with veggies one day, then makes chicken tacos from the leftover meat on the carcass the next day, then do a chicken soup on day 3. That's 3 dinners based on what I bought for 1 meal. this is a handy skill to have, should I go through hard times. those who can't cook, what happens next when the money runs out? McDs dollar menu everyday? Ramen? sorry, you are a bad parent if you can't fix a meal for your kids, male or female. Some men know this, and intentionally choose a wife who can cook and believes it is important to run the household, because they cant do it themselves. Fair enough. we women can do the same, we could marry a low earning beta male who cooks everyday... but most women don't want to do that. We want someone who brings more than home making to the table.

your charges

The women I know who don't cook aren't likely to ever run out of money, they have more in the bank than most make in 10 lifetimes. If they did somehow run out of money, obviously they would start cooking, but for the time being they don't need to do what you do, and stretch out a chicken for 3 meals. They are excellent parents and their children are amazing, beautiful, healthy, respectful children who adore their parents. A person certainly can be an excellent parent and never cook a meal!

Beta male? That's very sexist and insulting to call a man who chooses to take care of his family a lesser man. I live in 2011 where stay at home husbands are as respected as stay at home wives. I live in a world where men and women are partners in life, women do their own interesting things and make their own money, they don't need a man to do that for them. BTW, I know a very high earning lawyer who cooks for his family every night. Some choose to live by gender stereotypes, that's fine, I'm not insulting those people, it seems they don't return the favor and feel free to insult anyone who doesn't live the way they do.

The initial post stated a woman is not a good MOTHER if she doesn't cook. It was an admitted sexist post by someone who only wants a woman who stays home while he works. I disagree with this idea and choose a more progressive way of life. If someone holds sexist views, and feels it's only important for a mother to know how to cook, and not a father, that's fine. We live in a free country, people can think whatever they want, and try to find a partner who agrees, just don't deny that it's sexist and relying on stereotypes.

Last edited by detshen; 05-29-2011 at 02:32 PM..

Old 05-29-2011, 02:06 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,207,820 times
You women are so cute when you argue.

Old 05-29-2011, 02:18 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,153,279 times
Huh? thats part of the job
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships