Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 08:13 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,033,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
No, it was a friend of my husbands wanting to drive back out here, when it was pretty obvious that he had no business behind a wheel...but he thought he was "just fine.' NOT!
Oh. Well had it been a complete stranger I would have expected bear traps.

Probably the "nicest" thing I've ever done for someone was save a coworker's life. That happened a few months ago actually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 09:13 PM

10,182 posts, read 20,819,219 times
Took in a friend for several months who was evicted and about to be homeless. Took in a couple of other friends who were looking to relocate and needed a place to stay until they got a place of their own.

Nicest thing done for me...a total stranger agreed to allow me and some hiking companions to hitch a ride in the cargo area of his SUV and give us a ride off a mountain. The weather had turned quickly with 70 mph winds and thick cloud cover. Hiking down would have been extremely dangerous. He had his wife and small child with him and took a chance on four strangers. I'll never forget that.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:20 PM

37,159 posts, read 42,316,813 times
Probably opening my home and wallet to a kid with a bad home life. Helped get him to work, got him into college, taught him stuff like how to file taxes and do banking. That was 10 years ago. He is like a son now.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:24 PM

3,981 posts, read 2,584,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
Probably the "nicest" thing I've ever done for someone was save a coworker's life. That happened a few months ago actually.
What happened? If you wouldn't mind sharing.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:27 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,033,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Flower View Post
What happened? If you wouldn't mind sharing.
Doesn't bother me, I've shared it a few times. here's the copy/paste

We were restacking a skid of cans. We crush cans in bricks of 25lbs and stack them onto a skid what ways about 2500lbs.

Anyway, I told my help to not grab from the bottom row because it was helping the bad skid keep it's shape and not fall. Sometime went by and one of my helpers decided he was going to grab one of the lower bricks, causing the bricks above him(he was bending over) to loosen and begin to topple over. I saw this start to happen, and I ran to him, picked him up and threw him away to a wall. He was fine, but I had about 100lbs of cans crash into my foot that was pivoting my weight around. It wasn't broke, but I couldn't walk on it for about a week.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:36 PM

I helped a family in Minneapolis- they ran out of gas and I took the mom to get the fuel. The husband seemed perfectly nice, I just felt more comfortable with the wife.

That was twenty years ago. About six years ago (how does time fly?), a college student gave me a ride to the gas station when I ran out of gas. She said she was relieved I was a woman, it was just a bit too dark to tell before she stopped to help me.

Once I paid $10 for a customer to pay for her bike at Goodwill. She used her bike to get to work and her bike had been stolen for a second time. The first time she came through my line at Goodwill, I had felt the call to pay for it but had not acted.

At this time I was going on a trip to visit family and money was tight but I felt I needed to help her. Then, later that week, another customer gave me a "Have a good trip" with a ten dollar bill inside.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:50 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,109,381 times
Well, I dunno if this is the nicest thing I ever did, but just this afternoon I mowed my elderly neighbor's lawns, front & back for him, since he just had surgery, and he's a total lawncare nut. It was 95 degrees today in Austin with high humidity, and both his lawns probably add-up to about half an acre. And I had just finished mowing my own lawn.
Man, I'm glad I stay in shape. LOL.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:58 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,213,445 times
I'm not sure what the nicest thing I've ever done for someone is.. I do a lot of nice little things for people and I try to be thoughtful at birthdays and stuff.. usually seems to work pretty well.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:35 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,276,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwifruit2 View Post
and what is the nicest thing someone has ever done for you?

How do you quantify "niceness"? At what degree is one act nicer than another? Would a random person giving you $1 million be a nicer act than a person offering their seat to you on the bus?

I couldn't tell you what the nicest thing anyone has ever done for me. I have been the recipient of many kind gestures. But, I suppose to answer the question, it would have been what-ever-it-was that was done for no other reason outside of simply being kind to another human being.

Nicest thing I have ever done for someone? I dunno, you'll have to ask them.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
How do you quantify "niceness"? At what degree is one act nicer than another? Would a random person giving you $1 million be a nicer act than a person offering their seat to you on the bus?

I couldn't tell you what the nicest thing anyone has ever done for me. I have been the recipient of many kind gestures. But, I suppose to answer the question, it would have been what-ever-it-was that was done for no other reason outside of simply being kind to another human being.

Nicest thing I have ever done for someone? I dunno, you'll have to ask them.
Well, I don't think my answers were the nicest thing I ever did category but no matter. I think that we are here (in the world) to share God's love (or just a bigger life source than ourselves or a higher power beyond ourselves...) and help each other. I enjoy reading how they have been helped or how they reached out to others.

Thanks OP for this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships