Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2011, 01:45 PM

12,572 posts, read 15,606,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Actually its $1500 to not pay the fee. I don't keep that much money in my account.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Well, I am with B of A and it's $750. I have a 2nd checking I need for some rare foreign transactions which I keep at this exact amount. I don't believe it's state-specific.
The terms of the account may have changed since you signed up Sie. Many times over the years Wachovia charged me fees they weren't supposed to and upon looking up the account terms they realized they were wrong.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:52 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,315,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
If I were to do that I would pay it off each month as well. I'm just not sure how it would change in Quicken. I should clarify we sign our purchases and it's processed as a credit transaction even though it still comes out of the checking account. I have noticed retailers hiding/eliminating the credit feature on the DIY card readers in attempts to get you to process it as a debit transaction. And some of those who don't use card readers will process it as a debit without asking your preference. Continuation of these practices will cause me to use the Amex on every transaction.
Oh, I don't bother with credit/debit cards. It's straight credit.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:58 PM

12,572 posts, read 15,606,037 times
Quote:
The credit/debit card came first and I haven't done anything about it just because.

Old 08-22-2011, 02:18 PM

19,468 posts, read 15,338,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post
Sheesh! You're all going to give me a big head! I do appreciate the nice comments though.

My internet time this weekend was mostly just researching our new beagle's suspected illness.

That, and posting the goofy things SD's bird does on FB.

Hope your doggy's okay. Did you find out anything?

Old 08-22-2011, 02:21 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,575,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post

Hope your doggy's okay. Did you find out anything?
Enough to scare me about the treatment!

He was supposed to be a foster dog but now we suspect he has Cushings disease. We will be doing more tests this week. Doubt there will be anyone lining up to adopt him so he may just stay with us.

Old 08-22-2011, 02:32 PM

19,468 posts, read 15,338,380 times
Quote:

He was supposed to be a foster dog but now we suspect he has Cushings disease. We will be doing more tests this week. Doubt there will be anyone lining up to adopt him so he may just stay with us.
Oh, no. Poor thing. Good luck with the tests, and keep us updated, okay?

Old 08-22-2011, 02:50 PM

2,650 posts, read 3,018,875 times
Quote:
I do this as well and pay it off directly from my banking online. I'm not down there to pay bills anyways so it works well in that regard. Outside of the nuts and bolts of convenience and a means of paying the bills remotely I am after the frequent flier miles, they end up being worth more than the cash back for me. I carry no debt though and have only a cell phone, car insurance, and storage bill now so I'm not racking up much mileage at the moment.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:07 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,315,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman1 View Post
I am after the frequent flier miles, they end up being worth more than the cash back for me.
Sometimes I wonder if I don't shortchange myself in this area, too... Using the miles has always looked like too much hassle to me. It seems like you won't be able to use them when you want to, even though many claim no-black-out dates, no Sat overnights, etc. BS from the past. Also, I usually buy packages from Expedia and Orbitz and I'm not sure if the miles work in this case...

Discover has quite a bit of 5% cash-back, though, which is not bad. Just about any major online retailer brings 5% back if you click on the Discover link first. Of course, that’s in addition to the 5% in different categories all the time.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:28 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,253,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
The terms of the account may have changed since you signed up Sie. Many times over the years Wachovia charged me fees they weren't supposed to and upon looking up the account terms they realized they were wrong.
Here's the info on BOA again. The whole article has a lot more information on other fees and free checking.

Similarly, Bank of America announced that by the end of the year it would restructure its checking accounts and implement new monthly fees, ranging from $8.95 to $25. And unless you analyze its four new checking offerings carefully to find the one that best fits your spending habits, you could end up paying anywhere between $100 and $300 extra in fees per year.

An increasing number of banks are adding more -- and higher -- fees to checking accounts in response to the CARD Act, which was rolled out last year.

"Free checking is going to become less prevalent, but it's not going to go away like the dinosaurs," said Greg McBride, a senior financial analyst at Bankrate.com.

In fact, he added, about 65% of financial institutions still offer free checking, while 23% offer an account where fees can be waived with actions such as direct deposits.

Bank of America: Currently, Bank of America (BAC, Fortune 500) charges an $8.95 monthly maintenance fees on most checking accounts. But customers could get those charges waived if they make at least one direct payment each month or maintain a balance of $1,500.

Starting at the end of the year, that will all change. If you want a basic checking account where you don't have to worry about keeping up balances of making minimum deposits, you're going to pay a $9 monthly fee. No way around it.

Here's what the mega banks are up to -- and how to avoid their fees:
Slay new checking account fees - Jan. 7, 2011

So, it would appear that as long as you have direct deposit the amount would be waived.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:43 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,253,849 times
Quote:

When I was fostering I was absolutely surprised at how some people actually lined up for dogs who had issues like this. I write their web bios so I get all the info on each one and think sometimes, 'there's no way in hell this dog will get adopted.' Then, I was proven wrong.

I remember this little black scottie dog who was a puppy mill dog and his ear and part of his face was missing because of frostbite. Not only did someone adopt this poor fellow, the people were just visiting and paid to have us ship him literally all the way across the country. We spay and neuter all dogs before they are adopted and even do home visits via a vet or the humane society for out of towners and they adopted him with loving intent.

We just recently adopted out a dog where it was well known and explained the dog would eventually need surgery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships