Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 10:24 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,126,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I love how there's always some guy who equates feminism with being b****y.
It's an observation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 10:50 AM

3,261 posts, read 5,312,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Much has been said and discussed on this C-D forum about the non-alpha a.k.a. "beta" male. However, interestingly enough and as far as I can tell, relatively little has been said about the personality characteristics of non-alpha ("beta") females.

How do you define a "beta" female, and how exactly does she differ from her alpha-female counterpart?

Your thoughts please?
You really need to clarify what you specifically mean. Do you mean on a social level or an individual one? Does your scale contain gamma, delta and omega, because if so then a beta personality would likely take on "right-hand man" qualities; capable, reliable, supportive, trust-worthy and able to take on an alpha role when the alpha isn't available.

Furthermore, to some alpha, beta, etc simply means a social pecking order and in that case an alpha (high status) male & female will pair up and have the most desirable qualities to lead/represent their social circle. What those qualities are will likely vary depending on that group's desires or needs.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:38 PM

228 posts, read 500,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
It's an observation.
And it's a valid one at that. I'm a woman and I'll be the first to say that some of the hardcore feminists are indeed the female version of a chauvinist and they do indeed come off b*tchy to most. Believe it or not, people are going to form opinions about you and the choices you make. Everyone judges others, whether we want to admit that or not.

Old 06-12-2011, 05:32 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,773,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robee70 View Post
You really need to clarify what you specifically mean. Do you mean on a social level or an individual one? Does your scale contain gamma, delta and omega, because if so then a beta personality would likely take on "right-hand man" qualities; capable, reliable, supportive, trust-worthy and able to take on an alpha role when the alpha isn't available.

Furthermore, to some alpha, beta, etc simply means a social pecking order and in that case an alpha (high status) male & female will pair up and have the most desirable qualities to lead/represent their social circle. What those qualities are will likely vary depending on that group's desires or needs.
Lol...I'll personally take the beta female any day, over the alpha female, if I have a choice As several posters on the thread have mentioned, they can be great "girlfriend material".

For the purposes of my OP, "beta" can potentially refer to anything "non-alpha" (feel free include the other stuff like gamma, delta or omega together with beta, if you wish ).

I'll be the first to admit that I could certainly be biased here, but in my own personal experience, beta females are more likely to be much more positively expressive in the areas such as being caring, affectionate, gentle, and kind. I'm not saying alpha females aren't any of the above, just that they're less likely overall to be so, and tend to be distinctively more "hardened", emotionally (which is a definitive turn-off, for me), than the beta female. Alpha females remind me strongly of alpha males

Old 06-12-2011, 05:36 PM

14,570 posts, read 23,111,398 times
Quote:
I'll be the first to admit that I could certainly be biased here
You are. Just like with men, being an alpha or beta female has absolutely zero impact on whether they are "girlfriend material" or not.

Old 06-12-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
You are. Just like with men, being an alpha or beta female has absolutely zero impact on whether they are "girlfriend material" or not.
Yes and I admitted my own personal bias, already

At the same time, I stand by my point that I have in the past found (most, not all) of the alpha females I've known to be less compassionate in terms of their fundamental emotional wiring, than non-alpha ("beta") females.

Somehow I seriously doubt that an alpha female on the level of Carly Fiorina (an alpha female example I mentioned previously) is going to be well-known or admired, for her inherent sense of compassion. Her leadership strengths lie in being a respected and powerful business woman, a profession not known for being very compassionate.

ETA: the added compassion, is what IMO makes an beta female to be preferable girlfriend material (for me anyway), versus an alpha female.

Old 06-12-2011, 05:43 PM

48,581 posts, read 35,009,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Feminism is about equality. While some feminists are indeed militant and excessively dedicated to the cause, most are not as radical.

Don't lump us all in the same basket thanks.

I hate the word feminism, or what some have made it... too many seem want to turn men into women, and not seeking true equality.

To me true equality is acknowledging we are different, but equal.

Old 06-12-2011, 05:54 PM

14,570 posts, read 23,111,398 times
Quote:
Yes and I admitted my own personal bias, already
I know, I was simply confirming it.

Quote:
At the same time, I stand by my point that I have in the past found (most, not all) of the alpha females I've known to be less compassionate in terms of their fundamental emotional wiring, than non-alpha ("beta") females.

Somehow I seriously doubt that an alpha female on the level of Carly Fiorina (an alpha female example I mentioned previously) is going to be well-known or admired, for her inherent sense of compassion. Her leadership strengths lie in being a respected and powerful business woman, a profession not known for being very compassionate.
That's called anecdotal evidence by the way. Given your own admitted struggles with dating (understand that I don't say that to put you down) it probably goes without saying that you have yet to really develop any type of deep personal connection with the average alpha female.

Quote:
ETA: the added compassion, is what IMO makes an beta female to be preferable girlfriend material (for me anyway), versus an alpha female.
Compassion is not a trait that is specific to betas though.

Old 06-12-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
That's called anecdotal evidence by the way. Given your own admitted struggles with dating (understand that I don't say that to put you down) it probably goes without saying that you have yet to really develop any type of deep personal connection with the average alpha female.

Compassion is not a trait that is specific to betas though.
Fascinating; thx for your thoughts...I will have to reflect more on what you had mentioned above...

Old 06-13-2011, 07:48 AM

1,583 posts, read 3,681,223 times
I guess I would be a "beta" female who prefers a "beta" male.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships