Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: American women Vs. European women
American Women 26 29.89%
European Women 61 70.11%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 11:37 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times

Advertisements

Opti, my translator suggested "hungerwalker" or "unemployed person," which did not jive with your description of her attire. And isn't it "la marcheuse," not "les" (plural)?

I spent a semester in England when I was in college, and I learned about the "rude American" persona so I would not act, dress, or talk like one. But goofy tourists of all nationalities are present in tourist areas.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:18 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by optiflex View Post
Yeah I's only knows hows to speak American...

Moderator cut: The French was very clever (yes, I can read a little ), but it's English-only according to the rules.

Experience? Sigh I can just imagine this person has Moderator cut: personal attacks

Just piles on assumptions to every ones comments. I speak 7 languages. I have traveled all over the world. I know at least two hundred American people married to a foreign born. I've eaten things in foreign countries you wouldn't let near your mouth for Moderator cut: much money.
I've seen people at their best, and worst in many countries.

I have sat in a magistrates office in Hong Kong while he explained my two New Foundlands were probably on dinner plates all over the city when were stolen from the Airport.

I saw a starving 7 yr old in Sudan give his sister his food.

I stayed a month in the Champs Elysees district of Paris because this girl I was dating was all into the French mystique and sophistication...what an eye opener for her, she had her purse sophisticated away from her 3 times! She was a very good looking, well dressed girl and thus was mistaken for Moderator cut: something else many times by the French pigs! Here's this legendary elegant french district and I'd feel safer in Harlem any day! They don't bother to tell tourists this,,,but here's a link to their own.....

Crime wave hits Champs-Elysees area - Taipei Times

But let me come out and say the most damning thing. This person hates America, and do you know the real reason why? Because Europe is becoming America, very quickly. They have Eurovision, they have the Euro, they have the Europeen Union. They've practically turned their countries into states, behind their peoples backs. And they are so broke that literally all the good looking women in France are trying to meet Saudi's! They have huge club parties where a low level royal will come in and take his pick of 500 women. Yeah those ultra sophisticated, not interested in wealth and all that, women.

I dare you to answer back? Cause you'll just blather about how I don't know and I'll simply post an Article, from France, saying everything I just said ...Imbecile!
How perfectly Gallic of you....the only thing missing is a Gauloises, and a pastis!

Old 06-24-2011, 08:05 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
Materialistic...
I have seen most married European women who have a gold ring on their finger. Some have small diamonds.
Don't American women want an expensive rock that cost the husband 2 years of wages? Wouldn't most married American women want to show their female friends the fabulous ring? Wouldn't many feel ashamed if they only had a gold ring?

Old 06-24-2011, 08:41 AM

252 posts, read 555,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Materialistic...
I have seen most married European women who have a gold ring on their finger. Some have small diamonds.
Don't American women want an expensive rock that cost the husband 2 years of wages? Wouldn't most married American women want to show their female friends the fabulous ring? Wouldn't many feel ashamed if they only had a gold ring?
I would be happy with a ring made out of wood, because it is the bond and love that matters most not the possessions. Then again, I am a down to earth man. Yes you are correct about many American women wanting fancy and expensive wedding rings. You should see the jewelry store commercials, makes me sick to my stomach. It has gotten so bad, that a wedding in America is no longer a celebration of love and commitment, but HER wedding. Lets see who can have the fanciest wedding filled with the most things that have no real meaning!

Old 06-24-2011, 08:48 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Men can be very materialistic as well. Go to an electronics store on a weekend and look at who is shopping for a bigger TV or a new video game system, not because there's anything wrong with the old one, it's just not new anymore. Look at the people who think that their car is an extension of who they are as a person and want to impress people as they drive down the street. Look at who's standing outside the Apple store waiting for hours for the newest version of the iPad or iPhone. Look at who's got garages full of tools and gadgets and sports equipment. It's generally not ladies.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:03 AM

252 posts, read 555,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Men can be very materialistic as well. Go to an electronics store on a weekend and look at who is shopping for a bigger TV or a new video game system, not because there's anything wrong with the old one, it's just not new anymore. Look at the people who think that their car is an extension of who they are as a person and want to impress people as they drive down the street. Look at who's standing outside the Apple store waiting for hours for the newest version of the iPad or iPhone. Look at who's got garages full of tools and gadgets and sports equipment. It's generally not ladies.

Really? And why is it when things used for house repair, family enjoyment, and vocations, is it suddenly viewed as a mans consumer spending?

Women, Not Men, Are Primary Electronics Consumers

http://www.lightspeedresearch.com/pr...chic%E2%80%99/

Old 06-24-2011, 09:15 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underthesun7 View Post
Really? And why is it when things used for house repair, family enjoyment, and vocations, is it suddenly viewed as a mans consumer spending?

Women, Not Men, Are Primary Electronics Consumers

http://www.lightspeedresearch.com/pr...chic%E2%80%99/

Really? That is the exact opposite of what I found.
» Men spend $908 annually on consumer electronics, women spend $558 @ IT Facts

Men's and Women's Shopping Habits - How does spending differ for men vs women? | MintLife Blog | Personal Finance News & Advice

U.S. Consumer Electronics Spending | Market Research

What did you google? I googled electronics spending, men, women

I am very curious as to where you get all of your (mis)information?

And the reason that electronics that the whole family uses are considered as the man's consumer spending is because like many, many women - yes, I reap the benefits of my husband's wonderful TV, brand new speakers, reciever, and center channel - but I would be just as happy with something half the price and not as nice. In fact - if it were up to me - we'd probably just have the TV and not the speakers, receiver, and center channel. So while we use them together - they were definitely his purchase. Well, I bought the speakers and the receiver for him for Christmas after he emailed me the links to them.

But keep trying to blame everything on women. It's working out really well for you so far.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:29 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
This post supports my previous post several pages ago. The status of possessions is very important for social status. America is a capitalistic, materialistic society. The women (and men) are the product of the society in which they are raised and live.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:24 AM

20,723 posts, read 19,363,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underthesun7 View Post
I would be happy with a ring made out of wood, because it is the bond and love that matters most not the possessions. Then again, I am a down to earth man. Yes you are correct about many American women wanting fancy and expensive wedding rings. You should see the jewelry store commercials, makes me sick to my stomach. It has gotten so bad, that a wedding in America is no longer a celebration of love and commitment, but HER wedding. Lets see who can have the fanciest wedding filled with the most things that have no real meaning!
Hi underthesun7,

I don't think I can see enough of a difference in general between cultures other than to say some are used more or less. However when it comes to weddings and engagement rings, its not even close. In Eastern Europe, at least as of 10 years or so ago, expensive rings or weddings are not at all the norm. I first heard this from a Lithuanian. Then when I was there, I noticed it was even hard to see a ring over $500. Since a lot of women take public transportation, you would just make them a target for strong arm robbery anyway. Still, they do like nice things like anyone else, but something is amiss with the bridezilla establishment. I am sure it is adding to the general decline of marriage since it has become a classic case where the perfect is the enemy of the good; brides try to make the perfect day. It reminds me of those vacations where the goal of relaxing is forgotten trying to cram too many things in too little time.

Again, cultures differ and it can go to stupid extremes where the we are the world, the earth is flat, extremists here go completely awry, *cough* taliban *cough*. I have no idea what dream world they live in. In India, for example, dowry disputes I can say unequivocally are idiotic and barbaric along with female infanticide. I suppose there are those who neither know or care like the blind who might suppose the color of a cloth is a waste of time. That is why I have no comment about American women who swoon of "Gallic" prose or Italian beef since I have no idea what it is like to have my hand kissed by Fabrice or taken to a romantic cloister in a ancient ruin by Mario. Since there is no direct American analog to this, I believe them.

One compensating factor is many American women do help pay for it, though it was traditionally paid by the bride's family, so I am not so sure even in this area there is cause for optimism. Again, as I said, a working culture like ours compensates for a relative lack of leisure with material.

There are many things I like about the US. I was certainly much more comfortable in a Bowing over the Tupolev.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:34 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,178,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by optiflex View Post
Yeah I's only knows hows to speak American...

Moderator cut: The French was very clever (yes, I can read a little ), but it's English-only according to the rules.

Experience? Sigh I can just imagine this person has Moderator cut: personal attacks

Just piles on assumptions to every ones comments. I speak 7 languages. I have traveled all over the world. I know at least two hundred American people married to a foreign born. I've eaten things in foreign countries you wouldn't let near your mouth for Moderator cut: much money.
I've seen people at their best, and worst in many countries.

I have sat in a magistrates office in Hong Kong while he explained my two New Foundlands were probably on dinner plates all over the city when were stolen from the Airport.

I saw a starving 7 yr old in Sudan give his sister his food.

I stayed a month in the Champs Elysees district of Paris because this girl I was dating was all into the French mystique and sophistication...what an eye opener for her, she had her purse sophisticated away from her 3 times! She was a very good looking, well dressed girl and thus was mistaken for Moderator cut: something else many times by the French pigs! Here's this legendary elegant french district and I'd feel safer in Harlem any day! They don't bother to tell tourists this,,,but here's a link to their own.....

Crime wave hits Champs-Elysees area - Taipei Times

But let me come out and say the most damning thing. This person hates America, and do you know the real reason why? Because Europe is becoming America, very quickly. They have Eurovision, they have the Euro, they have the Europeen Union. They've practically turned their countries into states, behind their peoples backs. And they are so broke that literally all the good looking women in France are trying to meet Saudi's! They have huge club parties where a low level royal will come in and take his pick of 500 women. Yeah those ultra sophisticated, not interested in wealth and all that, women.

I dare you to answer back? Cause you'll just blather about how I don't know and I'll simply post an Article, from France, saying everything I just said ...Imbecile!
Damn, you're good....love to see more like this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.