Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Choose the options that would turn you off to your date (read scenarios)
Paying for groceries for a romantic dinner with food stamps 33 64.71%
Learning your date lives with his parents. 19 37.25%
Learning in conversation that your date is a devout Catholic 26 50.98%
Running out of gas. 12 23.53%
None 2 3.92%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 08:25 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,034,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerianMoonPrincess View Post
Honestly the only thing about the Catholic belief that bothers me is the fact they they believe that married couples can only have sex of they want to procreate. I disagree. I don't think all married couples have to procreate.
Catholic couples can have all the sex they want. What they have to abide by is that every instance of intercourse must be open to procreation. That is - bump uglies all you want, but don't do anything to stop the child that might result from the union.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 08:35 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,076,177 times
Honestly, none of the above would really bother me at all.

I guess it would depend on how long we were dating and such...but I'm a pretty accepting person and I don't really have expectations for a person...they are who they are.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:32 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,108,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
Catholic couples can have all the sex they want. What they have to abide by is that every instance of intercourse must be open to procreation. That is - bump uglies all you want, but don't do anything to stop the child that might result from the union.
This, however, is the Catholic belief that I'm familiar with.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:37 AM

3,485 posts, read 7,312,552 times
Catholicism is something I just can't work with. It's not the premarital sex aspect but rather the intolerant beliefs that I have a problem with.

Running out of gas is the other option I chose. Who the heck is that poorly prepared? I have never run out of gas in my entire life (I like to wait until there is 0.5 gallons left). My husband likes to fill his gas tank every time it is a quarter to a half empty which kinda bugs me too but it is much better than letting it run dry, and is supposedly better for the car.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:38 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,175,334 times
If you fall in love with someone - it's with the whole package - not one thing. If I was in love with the guy - then none of the things you named would turn me off to him. However, I can't see a devout Catholic and I falling in love with each other. I dated a Catholic for a long time - but he wasn't devout. Honestly, I don't think a devout Catholic would ever be interested in me so I think that point is moot anyway.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:40 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,178,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
I have never run out of gas in my entire life (I like to wait until there is 0.5 gallons left). My husband likes to fill his gas tank every time it is a quarter to a half empty which kinda bugs me too but it is much better than letting it run dry, and is supposedly better for the car.
Neither have I. I do what your husband does. To me running out of gas is a sign of reckless and irresponsible behavior. It rarely has anything to do with money.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:42 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,728,231 times
This world has a huge misconception about catholics

You ignorant kemosabes

Old 06-17-2011, 10:48 AM

454 posts, read 596,674 times
The food stamps are a big turn off there is nothing sexy about being cheep. If he knew he can't afford a "romantic dinner" then why go shopping in the first place?

Old 06-17-2011, 10:51 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,272,092 times
I'm 44. If a man lives with his parents now, I would hope it's only to take care of one of them during a serious illness.

I'm also an ex-Catholic. Given that I deliberately left the Church, I just wouldn't have common values with someone who is devout. Lapsed or C and E (Christmas and Easter) Catholic, fine, but not devout.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:58 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,728,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
I'm 44. If a man lives with his parents now, I would hope it's only to take care of one of them during a serious illness.

I'm also an ex-Catholic. Given that I deliberately left the Church, I just wouldn't have common values with someone who is devout. Lapsed or C and E (Christmas and Easter) Catholic, fine, but not devout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships