Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 03:38 PM

4,739 posts, read 8,380,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I get your drift and I agree. Unfortunately, you can't turn the clock back.
I know and I really wouldn't want too. I'm the serious one as i'm sure you know, shes the cut up. I like that about her, wish I could be more like that. I have my moments, dark humor. My kids are just now coming back around after the divorce. I'm heading out in the morning to pick up my youngest, he may stay.
Its not that shes not the one, its I'm not ok yet I guess
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 04:09 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,636,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boodhabunny View Post
... We can only move forward and bring with us the lessons we've learned ...
You took the words right out of my mouth.

OP, the trick is to discard the baggage but keep the knowledge. As the pop-psych folk like to say, it's a process.

I think dating later in life can be better than dating earlier. The 3 Ms - Maturity, Manners and Money - can build quite a strong and enjoyable relationship. Absent the heavy baggage and laden with knowledge there isn't a 20-something in the country that can touch you.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:37 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,881,254 times
Default Yes I do agree :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
You took the words right out of my mouth.

OP, the trick is to discard the baggage but keep the knowledge. As the pop-psych folk like to say, it's a process.

I think dating later in life can be better than dating earlier. The 3 Ms - Maturity, Manners and Money - can build quite a strong and enjoyable relationship. Absent the heavy baggage and laden with knowledge there isn't a 20-something in the country that can touch you.
Yes indeed Sifu... I totally agree.. imagine that LOL ...

Old 07-18-2011, 05:57 PM

142 posts, read 186,944 times
i agree that dating later in life can be more rewarding in many ways.

speaking for myself, i know myself better, know and understand my own priorities better, have let go of the things i was looking for in a partner that i recognize now don't offer the security (financial and emotional) i once thought i wanted. i don't care about trivial or material things as much as i did when i was younger, am more in tune with my sexuality and am more clear about what i want in that department as well. i am better able to recognize dysfunctional tendencies in a potential partner, understand the value of a stable family and background, and am better equipped to deal with conflict and compromise to find a resolution that is in the best interests of us both, not just a temporary solution designed to mask the issue and/or pacify and appease hurt feelings.

i am much more self sufficient in all ways now, which makes me more willing to take a chance on someone i might have passed by before......for a number of reasons....when i was younger, i tended to date 'safe' men, rarely ventured outside my comfort zone. now i'm interested in and have dated men i find exciting on various levels, for many reasons, and in ways that would have scared me off when i was looking for a 'safer' bet in a partner.

i chose all the wrong (for me) men when i was younger. out of some adherence to what i was 'supposed' to want out of life due to societal demands and familial/peer pressure. none of that factors into my choice of who to date now, and even though i've not found anyone yet with whom i want to have an exclusive long term relationship, i'm having a ball, and enjoying the freedom that comes from being more open, loving and remaining detached from expectation and outcome.

loving every minute of dating at my age.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:58 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,977,964 times
What is the point?

Old 07-18-2011, 06:06 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,636,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturesdreams View Post
Yes indeed Sifu... I totally agree.. imagine that LOL ...
See? I'm not ALL bad ...

Old 07-18-2011, 06:57 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,059,919 times
I think I get you too and I don't agree but I respect your opinion.

I was married for ages and I believed the H when he told me I would never do better than him. He was lying. Now my past experiences just make me appreciate the man I'm with even more. I think it's a choice you get to make. You can choose to be bound to the past or rise above it. I'm a rise above it kind of girl and my best days are always in front of me.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:01 PM

1,505 posts, read 1,812,359 times
Rcm58, sounds like you are not emotionally ready for the woman in your life. The past is the past, and baggage has to be removed before one can sincerely move on to the next relationship. There is nothing wrong with not getting it right the first time and not marrying again. The person with whom you are involved needs to know. If she is fine with that, great. If not, love her enough to let her find a relationship that is good for her.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:06 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,395,509 times
I disagree completely. As a matter of fact, as an older woman, I am so much better than I was in my teen's or 20's...I don't have "baggage" I have had "experiences" which make me wiser, and better. Any man who wants a 25 year old instead of me...have at it...I know who I would pick to have a relationship with...me now, or me then....definitely me now!!! I am so much nicer now, more accepting, not as concerned with material wealth, I think that dates going to the park can be better than spending $200 on theatre and dinner. Back in my 20's...I would have dumped a guy did not take me out to pricey dates on a regular basis...

Old 07-18-2011, 07:36 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,861,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
What is the point?
Dating is easier for men because there is little at stake. No pressure to try to impress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships