Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 08:06 PM

6 posts, read 5,736 times

Advertisements

alright so i have never had to good of a love life but ive have my ups and downs..now this isnt directly to D.C. but more the region itself.
im a 24, pretty clean cut guy who knows how to dress, has a good job, nice car, come from a good family, and am focused in my life.
but for some reason i never pick up girls..i mean i approach women ALL the time. i get numbers and they never answer or txt them once never hear from them again, all kinds of nonsense.
or a girl will be giving me the eye so i approach them and everything seems cool ask for her number and they say i dont have a number? or i got a bf? why the hell you looking all sexy and flirting with me then? so basically im back to square one..but this really happens with like every girl i meet..its weird.
NOW..i moved to chicago a couple of years ago and for some reason EVERY girl i meet like was head over heels for me! i mean i went shopping, went to the bank, the mall, seemed anywhere i went girls wanted to get to know me.
i mean honestly i had more gf's in the short time i lived there than ive ever had here. and im a native to this area..then i moved to florida and i had a nice relationship with a good girl for the whole time i was there.
but i moved back to the DMV and its the SAME **** all over again! i mean i cant pick a girl to save my damn life.

(yes i tried online dating and trust me NO luck there either)

( and trust me i approach every kind and size of women. big,small,thin,tall,black,white, different types of women etc etc..)

i just wanted some opinions...is there something wrong with me? or are girls here weird ass bimbos? or do i have some crazy curse here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 03:16 PM

221 posts, read 438,390 times
It's called the tier system. Everyone in the DC area is obsessed with their job. Their job structure controls the rest of their life structure. As well as the structure of traffic, going to happy hours to socialize and going to the gym after or before work. In order to do ANYTHING, people have to plan far far in advance, or else the day turns into a complete waste. You're at the bottom of the tier my friend. Even going on a simple date for coffee can be a major hassle for some people. They gotta look up all their other tiers and see if there is someone else, a friend, relative or potential mate to see what they are doing and to make sure they are not stepping down their day/night for you. I'm totally serious.

I have experienced similar things too. I'm an attractive guy, well dressed, car, job, etc - whatever....maybe we just all look alike to women and they see the same boring guys every night asking them for numbers. What specific clubs are you going to?

Last edited by stp_fan; 07-23-2011 at 03:28 PM..

Old 07-23-2011, 04:19 PM

220 posts, read 548,041 times
I'm female, and my friends and I don't generally meet guys in clubs. Many (not all) guys in clubs can be overly aggressive, and it can be difficult to tell if the guy would be interested in dating or is just looking for a 1-night hookup. Of course that isn't to say that every guy in a club is sleezy, but a girl may assume so since it can be hard to get to know men in a club. A lot of the women in the clubs might just want to have a night out with friends but not actually be very open to meeting males.

Have you tried other places to meet women? Possibly find a co-ed group on meetup.com to join to meet women with a common interest? There are tons of options like volunteering, casual sports leagues, social clubs, and more. I moved here from NY and I feel like in NY I knew people who met gf's/bf's in clubs, but in DC most people I know met people either through mutual friends or through some sort of club or organization.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:44 PM

349 posts, read 990,604 times
No, it's not just you.

The Male/Female ratio in DC right now is skewed. There are currently not enough females here. You have a LOT of competition when you try to approach girls.

In Chicago you had a more favorable ratio. There are slightly more women than men over there, similar to NYC and Boston, so you had an easier time. It doesn't really matter if you're good-looking or not, there are hundreds of other guys who have moved here recently that are directly competing with you. Chicago is paradise compared to today's DC.

These are just brief snapshots of what you're up against, on a typical night out in DC:
//www.city-data.com/forum/washi...l#post19475246
The pictures are useful because even if you don't go out a lot, they give you an idea of the local ratio.

You should've come to DC 5 years ago. It was awesome then. But right now it's kind of difficult to date here, too much competition.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:49 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,689,590 times
I think some people simply thrive better in other cities or environments. I knew a guy in high school (we used to be pretty close friends) who had no success with girls. He also didn't have tons of friends. But he went to school way up North and now he has quite a few solid friends, including females (I don't think he's got a girlfriend but he doesn't really want one at this stage in life).

I mean you said yourself that Chicago was great for you. Maybe you ought to see if you can stay there.

Old 07-24-2011, 10:12 AM

6 posts, read 5,736 times
thanks for the feedback fellas...And to be honest i personally dont really like the club. I dont enjoy trying to talk to a women while im in a sweat box and yelling in her ear because the music is so loud. im more of a bar kinda guy. I live in NOVA just to be clear, but yea you guys are right the D.C. area views people in a professional status first and then let you in if your on their "level".

Old 07-24-2011, 10:29 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,689,590 times
Try joining some sort of activity. Ever heard of Meetup.com or Yelp? The former has a wide array of interests while the latter mainly focuses on restaurant and bar outings, but I know a lot of people who have made friends through being active on both sites. It's a heck of a lot better than a club if you ask me.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:00 AM

193 posts, read 450,021 times
It's not you. I am a woman and I have no luck dating here. I haven't been asked out in this area in a long, long while. When I travel for work, I get asked out. When I have done the approaching, they seem to like the attention but there's no follow-through.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:21 AM

2,596 posts, read 5,581,238 times
I agree with the person who said the ratio of men/women may be skewed in DC. Also, different areas of the country have different personality types. The stereotypical Midwesterner from a small town is very different from someone from Hawaii, from someone from NYC, from someone from San Francisco. Of course within those areas, you get a lot of variation too, but there's usually some truth to generalities as well. So it may be you fit in very well with what women (as a general group) tend to look for in Chicago, not so much in DC.

I would also suggest you try to meet women through activities or some more substantial place than picking them up at a bar or club. It's generally harder to meet a quality person for a relationship in those scenes.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:23 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,691,178 times
From what several DC posters have said, the dating market there is really harsh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships