Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2011, 02:31 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,665,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poletop1 View Post
krav maga specializes in disarming and taking away guns pulled.
I know that, but it was originally based upon a war-time military state.

Not quite the same conditions as peace-time USA ... see, everyone wants to be Bruce Lee and whup azz, but they don't want to deal with the physical, legal or moral issues afterwards.

They do NOT teach that in Krav Maga.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 02:33 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,217,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
I know that, but it was originally based upon a war-time military state.

Not quite the same conditions as peace-time USA ... see, everyone wants to be Bruce Lee and whup azz, but they don't want to deal with the physical, legal or moral issues afterwards.

They do NOT teach that in Krav Maga.
Oh true, I'm just saying that it is possible to defend yourself from a gun in some situations. I'm not advocating violent private justice either.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poletop1 View Post
Oh true, I'm just saying that it is possible to defend yourself from a gun in some situations. I'm not advocating violent private justice either.
Oh, true back at ya!

In my opinion and experience, knives are a lot worse to defend against as well as the mental anguish you go through when you see your own bone and muscle after a failed defense. You bleed like a stuck pig when you're stabbed or slashed - most bullets just leave a tidy little hole in you. A gun defense is difficult, true, but you have only one point to concern yourself with - where the barrel is pointing. A knife has 2 sharp edges (usually) and a tip. Knives can be easily concealed against the forearm - guns less so. Guns can be jammed - knives cannot.

Overall, give me a guy with a point-ed stick anytime!

Old 07-28-2011, 02:44 PM

24,644 posts, read 38,744,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Oh, true back at ya!

In my opinion and experience, knives are a lot worse to defend against as well as the mental anguish you go through when you see your own bone and muscle after a failed defense. You bleed like a stuck pig when you're stabbed or slashed - most bullets just leave a tidy little hole in you. A gun defense is difficult, true, but you have only one point to concern yourself with - where the barrel is pointing. A knife has 2 sharp edges (usually) and a tip. Knives can be easily concealed against the forearm - guns less so. Guns can be jammed - knives cannot.

Overall, give me a guy with a point-ed stick anytime!

This and the last few posts, are all great discussion. Good sh$t.

Unfortunately, I don't think any of this, or any of most of what we have contributed to this thread, belongs in Relationships though........

Old 07-28-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
This and the last few posts, are all great discussion. Good sh$t.

Unfortunately, I don't think any of this, or any of most of what we have contributed to this thread, belongs in Relationships though........
Why not? I have a relationship with every person I've ever fought.

Even during the fight, we were trained to "love our opponent" so that we could better "listen to them" (communication skills) and "stick" to them (longevity in relationships). We move with them instead of against them (mutual support) and try to help them get to where their energy is taking them (helpfulness and kindness). We sense their needs and we meet them.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:07 PM

8,286 posts, read 38,859,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Of all arts, these are the best combination if you want to really know how to fight. Kodokan Judo and Muay Thai.
I would agree about that. Muay Thai is extremely intuitive, simple and the sort of thing that flows naturally when you need it. I think that it is probably far more practical to be a proficient striker than just about anything else.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I would agree about that. Muay Thai is extremely intuitive, simple and the sort of thing that flows naturally when you need it. I think that it is probably far more practical to be a proficient striker than just about anything else.
There is something else to be considered, though - some guys are just born strikers; others were grappling right from the cradle.

I've been on many MA boards, moderated some and even headed up a popular one for a while; the one constant debate is, "What is the best MA?"

That's like asking "Who is the right girl for me?"

My answer every time - It isn't the art; it's the practitioner.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:54 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,625,381 times
I haven't. I was attacked by some jackass when I was 19 and was completely unprepared physically and mentally. Had a cell phone to my ear talking with somebody...wasn't even aware of what this guy had in mind until the fists started flying at me. He got in about 2-3 decent shots to the side of my head before literally running off. Cell phone never left my striking hand the whole time and my left hand was used to try and deflect what he threw at me. Pretty lame fight. I kept thinking to myself "dammit! what do I do with this goddamn cell phone so I can get at this guy?!" (The phone was new I and I didn't want to drop it.)

It's been quite awhile since anybody has even tried to start a real fight with me though. I want to say at least 3 or 4 years. Usually it's when people are acting drunk and retarded so I rarely see the point to this behavior

Old 07-28-2011, 03:56 PM

45 posts, read 45,400 times
Yes, in 1999 or so went out of town gf called from the hospital mentioned a guy she knew raped her at a local park. Few weeks go by run into him at the bus depot downtown introduced myself pretended I was interested in buying his lowrider, asked if he knew a girl and how far he got with her. The idiot actually said he did it, made him swing first hit him in the throat broke his left leg, nose and a few ribs. Honestly if it wasn't for a few friends and security guards I'm not sure how much farther it would have gone.

Last edited by EpochWraith; 07-28-2011 at 04:10 PM..

Old 07-29-2011, 09:21 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,139,442 times
To add onto what our resident elder SifuPhil said, fighting is to be used as a last resort. There's consequences to whooping someone's a$$ so if you're ready for the repercussions, go right ahead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships