Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2011, 10:13 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,849,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
There is something else to be considered, though - some guys are just born strikers; others were grappling right from the cradle.

I've been on many MA boards, moderated some and even headed up a popular one for a while; the one constant debate is, "What is the best MA?"

That's like asking "Who is the right girl for me?"

My answer every time - It isn't the art; it's the practitioner.
Good, valid point and well taken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 12:15 PM

121 posts, read 249,114 times
I've had a few bar fights during my military days back in the 90’s.

A few years ago I had a fight at a local fitness club in the Atlanta area. One of those Brazilian Jujitsu T-shirt wearing guys kept talking trash to me as I was working out. Keep in mind I'm 6' 247lbs. I walked away several times but he followed me around the gym talking about how I was soft and he could choke me out if he wanted to. Soon 1 of his buddies joined in on the trash talking. Once I decided I had no way out, I stood up and punched him the jaw knocking him out cold. His body convulsed as he laid on the ground. I then went after his friend but a few guys in the gym held me back.

The gym manager ran over and threatened to call the cops but everyone that witnessed the entire event came to my defense saying those 2 guys threatened me the entire time. I may have a little too much body fat but I also bench well over 300lbs and I used to box as a kid. I never start fights, once I determine there is no way out of a fight I make sure I am the one who throws the first punch. A lesson learned the hard way on the playgrounds growing up on New Orleans.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:18 PM

59 posts, read 65,503 times
It happened to me once, I was waiting in a line outside a bar in Albany, NY with a good friend of mine that happened to come back from Iraq on that very day, one of the guys came out and started abusing me about my ethnicity(I am Indian) and started mocking me in a weird accent, I told him to go his own business when he decided to get physical, I and my friend did give him a decent thrashing before his friends decided to show up after which it broke up into an all out fight, however, the bar bouncers were quite quick to show up and rounded up the drunk abuser and his friends and gave them to the cops, i was later asked to come to the police station and present my side of the story, which I did, thankfully, I was not guilty of anything except defending myself under abuse, and I didn't press any further, it wasn't worth it, once a racist, always a racist.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:21 PM

59 posts, read 65,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintTaris View Post
I've had a few bar fights during my military days back in the 90’s.

A few years ago I had a fight at a local fitness club in the Atlanta area. One of those Brazilian Jujitsu T-shirt wearing guys kept talking trash to me as I was working out. Keep in mind I'm 6' 247lbs. I walked away several times but he followed me around the gym talking about how I was soft and he could choke me out if he wanted to. Soon 1 of his buddies joined in on the trash talking. Once I decided I had no way out, I stood up and punched him the jaw knocking him out cold. His body convulsed as he laid on the ground. I then went after his friend but a few guys in the gym held me back.

The gym manager ran over and threatened to call the cops but everyone that witnessed the entire event came to my defense saying those 2 guys threatened me the entire time. I may have a little too much body fat but I also bench well over 300lbs and I used to box as a kid. I never start fights, once I determine there is no way out of a fight I make sure I am the one who throws the first punch. A lesson learned the hard way on the playgrounds growing up on New Orleans.
Wow that's crazy, why would they randomly come and talk trash to you like that though, I mean, it's just madness since they are just showing themselves to be jack asses and also could get into trouble with the law. Was there any prior incident between the two of you?

It just makes me feel that it's worth investing every penny into building that home gym instead of going to a fitness center to workout along with such jerks and get into trouble with law enforcement agencies.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:15 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,319,029 times
once in 8th grade, have felt like getting into a fight again but don't want to get arrested

Old 07-30-2011, 10:08 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,112,673 times
Yes.

Old 07-31-2011, 03:37 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,255,574 times
Aside from cracking my brother in the nuts with a wet towel, and various other sibling hijinx, there was one time and only one time in my entire life I did this. I was out with a friend of mine and there was this guy I sort of knew because I'd seen him around. After he passed me he took his hand and smacked me on the ass as hard as he could and it stung like hell. Without even looking to see who did it I, almost instinctually, swung around without hesitation and nailed him square in the nose with my fist...blood all over. I'm more of a sarcastic wordsmith when it comes to most situations, but this just ignited something I never thought I'd ever do, but given the opportunity to relive that moment I can't say I would do it any differently. It was like someone else took over my body and mind in that moment. But have always known the realizations of such actions like him filing assault charges or worse I could have hit him just right and killed him. So, I don't necessarily advocate such measures.

Many years later I was working with a guy who actually told this story, not knowing it was me, and I thought 'Wth?' and went to the box of photos I had from that era and lo and behold he was in the background of the photo the night it happened. So, always think twice about physical violence - it has a way of following you.

Old 07-31-2011, 03:46 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,660,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
... So, always think twice about physical violence - it has a way of following you.
It does not, however, follow you as closely as a death from doing nothing ...

Old 07-31-2011, 06:14 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,255,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
It does not, however, follow you as closely as a death from doing nothing ...
The point I was going after there was guys who get into physical altercations because of macho bullsh#t. Times where it's not necessary. Like a thread I read once where this guy was going to go to his girlfriend's place of work and stake out the parking lot for this guy who had hit on her so he could beat the hell out of him. That's unnecessary and idiotic.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:28 PM

31,290 posts, read 22,279,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
The point I was going after there was guys who get into physical altercations because of macho bullsh#t. Times where it's not necessary. Like a thread I read once where this guy was going to go to his girlfriend's place of work and stake out the parking lot for this guy who had hit on her so he could beat the hell out of him. That's unnecessary and idiotic.
That kind of stuff usually happens when your younger and have no good sense. Haven't been in a fight since I was 20 and it will probably stay that way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships