Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 10:45 AM

1,241 posts, read 1,895,126 times

Advertisements

What are your thoughts? When is texting appropriate and when does interaction warrant a phone call?

I've known people who will try to have an entire conversation with you by text and I find it annoying. So if we're texting back and forth within minutes of each other; then I call you so I don't type all night long; you don't pick up the phone. Now I get sometimes people are in a crowded place and/or doing other things but some people refuse to talk but will text forever. I'm like if you want to talk without feedback (i.e. texting) then just don't text at all. I have people text me:"Are you mad at me? I don't hear from you." That's because if you want a conversation you need to pick up the phone.

On the flip side of that I have hug out with people who are texting quick messages at the table and I'm like.....are you doing the same thing when you text me sometimes? Interesting.

Texting = Transcript

I know age is a factor because most older people don't text -they call.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 10:55 AM

270 posts, read 967,916 times
Phone call - Guy asking girl out on a date.
Text - After you are married and need to pick up stuff from the grocery store. i.e. "Do we have milk at home?"

Amazon.com: The Rules for Online Dating: Capturing the Heart of Mr. Right in Cyberspace (9780743451475): Ellen Fein, Sherrie Schneider: Books

Old 08-13-2011, 11:55 AM

2,596 posts, read 5,581,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srnyong View Post
Phone call - Guy asking girl out on a date.
Text - After you are married and need to pick up stuff from the grocery store. i.e. "Do we have milk at home?"
I agree. I think texts can be fine in limited-use situations, like if you're in a meeting and unable to talk, or whatever. But if the point of early courtship is to cultivate interest from the person you're courting, I think a phone call is a far more effective tool for building that personal connection. A string of texts rather than the personal connection of a call, or better yet, a date, doesn't do much. Now, if you're a surgeon and your only chance to contact your potential date is between surgeries at 3 AM, maybe a text is the best option. But in general, I think you have a better chance of success waiting a few hours until you can place a proper call, or else making sure that texts are just used as a sort of "snack" throughout the day rather than a real meal and that quality time is reserved for real conversations. Using texts as a substitution for quality time in phone calls may backfire.

Old 08-13-2011, 12:59 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,586,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h886 View Post
I agree. I think texts can be fine in limited-use situations, like if you're in a meeting and unable to talk, or whatever. But if the point of early courtship is to cultivate interest from the person you're courting, I think a phone call is a far more effective tool for building that personal connection. A string of texts rather than the personal connection of a call, or better yet, a date, doesn't do much. Now, if you're a surgeon and your only chance to contact your potential date is between surgeries at 3 AM, maybe a text is the best option. But in general, I think you have a better chance of success waiting a few hours until you can place a proper call, or else making sure that texts are just used as a sort of "snack" throughout the day rather than a real meal and that quality time is reserved for real conversations. Using texts as a substitution for quality time in phone calls may backfire.

Yes, dont you want to hear his/her voice? What about sweet nothings... can not imagine that very romantic in a text.

Old 08-13-2011, 01:18 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
Texts are ok for break ups thou.

Old 08-13-2011, 02:48 PM

79 posts, read 115,682 times
I figure if you're getting to know eachother, then a phone call is warranted. People in my age group (25-34) text more than they call. I love to text but, having whole conversations via that method is plain lazy. No one is that busy not to pick up a phone.. especially when most cell plans have unlimited talk. Btw, if they are only communicating with you by text, they're hiding from you. And noone should break up via text.

Last edited by relocatingdiva79; 08-13-2011 at 02:50 PM.. Reason: adding..

Old 01-12-2012, 08:43 AM

193 posts, read 450,055 times
Interesting thread. I met a guy at a restaurant this past weekend and, after chatting for a bit, he asked for my number and I gave it. He has been texting me since we met. I told him that I am not much of a texter and prefer phone and meeting in person. He still continued to text. Not a single phone call. I have pretty lost interest and will just ignore his messages.

There's something suspiciuous about a guy who only communicates by text and will not pick up the phone. I don't know but it seems like he might be hiding something.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:01 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,850,918 times
Text can be nice but yes the voice is exciting. Sometimes makes the person.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:08 AM

2,495 posts, read 4,357,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoTheNut View Post
Interesting thread. I met a guy at a restaurant this past weekend and, after chatting for a bit, he asked for my number and I gave it. He has been texting me since we met. I told him that I am not much of a texter and prefer phone and meeting in person. He still continued to text. Not a single phone call. I have pretty lost interest and will just ignore his messages.

There's something suspiciuous about a guy who only communicates by text and will not pick up the phone. I don't know but it seems like he might be hiding something.
Its either that or he has a 300 anytime minutes plan like my grand mother and is trying to save it for emergencies

Old 01-12-2012, 09:16 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percentage View Post
Its either that or he has a 300 anytime minutes plan like my grand mother and is trying to save it for emergencies
That's not the call to save on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships