Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 08:05 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,274,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
Of course it can and it's not that unusual. Fathers just show their love differently than mothers do.
Love is a strange thing. It's tempting to view it cynically as just a function of how much self-interest you invest in another, i.e. how close you are to them and how they relate to your existence. The degrees of love are like radiating circle, depending on how big your family is. Ultimately, the human family is one big family (in the literal sense, we all split from the same microscopic zygote, eons ago, just as the universe came from a point the size of an atom), so I think our innate love extends to all human beings, even though we sometimes hate each other. Hate is not necessarily the opposite of love but maybe a frustrated, corrupted attempt at love. It's just the intensity of our love is strongest at it's core; firstly towards our family and ourselves, gradually growing weaker as it radiates out to the different 'rings': extended family/friends, community, nation/ethnic group, humanity, life in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 08:06 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,989,203 times
I don't see much difference between the way I feel about the kids, and the way my husband feels about them. He may be quicker to get upset or to yell, but that's more a part of his basic personality than any lack of feeling. I used to think I would have a closer bond with the kids since I was the one who carried them and gave birth to them, but that's not really true. Maybe the first year or two when they're so tiny and fragile, and one end or the other always needs attention, but once they can communicate and start developing their own little personalities, it's easier for the dad to bond with them. I think the first year or so is mostly instinct on the mother's part and I don't know if dads have those instincts or not.

The way he feels about the kids has even helped him to rebuild a relationship with his mother, because he can't imagine our kids growing up and deciding not to talk to him anymore.

I think part of the reason that people love their kids more than their parents or siblings is that they are responsible for molding the child into the kind of person they want them to be...so any attitude or character flaws in the child are more of a source of guilt for the parent than a cause to sever the relationship (talking about adult children here, of course). And with your other relatives, the older you get and the more you reflect on them once you're not living with them, the harder it is to like them sometimes. I have issues with my parents that I could never have with my children.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:06 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,901,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Spouse first...but some things are so close, there is almost no difference.
And really it's just a different kind of love, not really anything that can be compared, you shouldn't love your spouse like you love a child, you should also love a spouse sexually, romantically but not as a parent. A child is different, you love a child like you love a child as a parent.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:07 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,051,117 times
Don't you think a lot of it has to do with what your children are like? I mean, you CHOOSE to be with your spouse based on the person he/she is. With kids, you just pop out a randomly determined mix of genetic material and hope for the best. How you raise them plays a big role, but there are plenty of kids who have great parents and they're still little brats.

I see kids all the time in my day to day life that make me wonder how ANYONE could love them, even their mothers. The other day I saw a kid at a diner throw not just a temper tantrum but an out-of-control SCREAMING fit because his brother got a bigger piece of key lime pie for dessert than he did. This was not a 2-year-old either; he was probably in first or second grade. Mom and dad seemed to be attentive and assertive parents and they STILL couldn't control this little monster. I would find it VERY difficult to love that kid more than my spouse, if I had one.

On the other hand, I have a couple friends who have kids that are an absolute BLAST. Polite, funny, clever, upbeat, mischievous but in a cool/funny way and not an annoying way. I love these kids and they aren't even mine. I understand why their parents gush over them because I would too if they came from my sac.

In summary...... I think it just depends.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:07 AM

36,867 posts, read 31,157,509 times
Im very close with my family and love them all dearly, but I love and will always love my children more than anyone else except my grandchildren. My grandkids are equal to my kids in my heart.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I don't see much difference between the way I feel about the kids, and the way my husband feels about them. He may be quicker to get upset or to yell, but that's more a part of his basic personality than any lack of feeling. I used to think I would have a closer bond with the kids since I was the one who carried them and gave birth to them, but that's not really true. Maybe the first year or two when they're so tiny and fragile, and one end or the other always needs attention, but once they can communicate and start developing their own little personalities, it's easier for the dad to bond with them. I think the first year or so is mostly instinct on the mother's part and I don't know if dads have those instincts or not.

The way he feels about the kids has even helped him to rebuild a relationship with his mother, because he can't imagine our kids growing up and deciding not to talk to him anymore.

I think part of the reason that people love their kids more than their parents or siblings is that they are responsible for molding the child into the kind of person they want them to be...so any attitude or character flaws in the child are more of a source of guilt for the parent than a cause to sever the relationship (talking about adult children here, of course). And with your other relatives, the older you get and the more you reflect on them once you're not living with them, the harder it is to like them sometimes. I have issues with my parents that I could never have with my children.
Good point, these days with men having a more active role in parenting, they have started to become the 'go-to parent' as much as mum. Maybe humans are more like birds than other primates in that respect, that the male role in parenting is as much as the female, and consequently the children do love him as much.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
Don't you think a lot of it has to do with what your children are like? I mean, you CHOOSE to be with your spouse based on the person he/she is. With kids, you just pop out a randomly determined mix of genetic material and hope for the best. How you raise them plays a big role, but there are plenty of kids who have great parents and they're still little brats.

I see kids all the time in my day to day life that make me wonder how ANYONE could love them, even their mothers. The other day I saw a kid at a diner throw not just a temper tantrum but an out-of-control SCREAMING fit because his brother got a bigger piece of key lime pie for dessert than he did. This was not a 2-year-old either; he was probably in first or second grade. Mom and dad seemed to be attentive and assertive parents and they STILL couldn't control this little monster. I would find it VERY difficult to love that kid more than my spouse, if I had one.

On the other hand, I have a couple friends who have kids that are an absolute BLAST. Polite, funny, clever, upbeat, mischievous but in a cool/funny way and not an annoying way. I love these kids and they aren't even mine. I understand why their parents gush over them because I would too if they came from my sac.

I wonder if there's a point where very strong dislike completely overrides the innate instinct of parental love? I imagine such a point does exist for most people.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:13 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,052,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post

You're describing conditional love; I'll love you if; you're good....well behaved....get good grades.... I suppose some parents are like that but most parents love their children unconditionally. That doesn't mean they approve of their misbehavings and such. But true love isn't conditional.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:16 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,051,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I wonder if there's a point where very strong dislike completely overrides the innate instinct of parental love? I imagine such a point does exist for most people.
You're damn right there is, it's just that most parents would NEVER admit it and many won't even consciously acknowledge it to themselves.

There is a web site out there, and I can't remember the URL but I'm sure you could find it pretty quickly if you're good with Google, it's titled "I Hate Being a Mom" or something to that effect. It's basically a bunch of women who go on there and vent anonymously about how having children was the worst decision they ever made. These aren't Susan Smith/Casey Anthony type moms either; I spent about an hour on there one day and it was obvious most of them were very dedicated and involved parents. Deep down though, they resented their children for turning out to be such brats and for being more trouble than they were worth. It was eye-opening, to say the least.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:17 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,351,805 times
I don't believe I love my children more than my spouse or parents....it may appear that I do though...because my children need me the most right now...and I can probably say that I have more concern for their welfare than for others.....I am also probably more expressive of my love for my children than I am of ...say my parents or sisters/brothers etc...simply because I've had the opportunity to huuuug, and kiiiiss them as young ones any time I've felt the desire....but I definately love my family as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships