Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 10:21 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,325,423 times

Advertisements

I am 34, single, no kids. never married, actually, I have no desire to get married anytime soon. I am in a much better financial situation than most of my friends who are married, I don't have any kids, I can hook up with as many women as I choose to and I can pretty much do whatever I want.

I am truly enjoying my life being single, I have been traveling almost every other weekend, and although I am still not where I want to be, financially, I feel like, as long as I don't get married and don't have kids, I will be able to afford most of the things that I want.

For a guy like me, it is really hard to see any benefit in getting married, especially at my age. Although, I can't say that I will never marry, I feel like it would be wise to enjoy my single lifestyle until I am about 50.

Once again, I don't understand why any guy in my situation would want to get married, but I would love to hear some of the benefits of getting married, if any.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:23 PM

819 posts, read 1,132,246 times
You should get married if you want to have children. Otherwise, there's no point.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:33 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,332,589 times
If you want children, you should get married soon. But you're 34 and you still think you're too young to get married? That's the impression I get from your post.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:01 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,230,335 times
50 years old is not a good age to wait. Besides being financially secure, physically you will not look as great as you were in your 20s and 30s. It's far less practical for women, as most of their reproduction eggs are gone by 30, and they experience a beauty drain in their 30s.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:11 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,802,315 times
You sound like you have your priorities in line. Personally, I want to have children before I'm your age and ideally I'll be married to someone I love beforehand. Sleeping around and travelling aren't high on my list, it's just different strokes for different folks.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:15 PM

165 posts, read 373,346 times
I could not imagine waiting until I'm 50 to get married. That just seems like wasting all of the best years that could be better spent. But if I don't meet the right person until i'm 50 then I am sure it will be worth the wait.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:38 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,605,429 times
There is no reason to get married untill you want to. I don't believe you have to be married to have children either, thats a personal choice for you to decide. You dont need to have a ring on your finger to have a heatlhy, happy, relationship with a women. I've know many couples who never got married & spent there entire lives without getting married.
In the end the choice is yours alone.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:39 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,923,925 times
Yeah, cool. . . .

Get married when you are 50. So, for example if you are a guy and she is at that time 48, then you get what is left of her after she spent the previous 30 years having sex with other guys. A real prize, and she might already have reached menopause. Wow, great idea.

If from the point of marriage, you each spent a decade together before one of you dies, you will have all of those amazing memories of being old and spending them with someone you married. . . . at the age of 50.

Yeah, just what I want. A spouse that has lived over 70% of her life, and probably the best years prior to meeting me and getting married.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:44 PM

200 posts, read 329,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Once again, I don't understand why any guy in my situation would want to get married, but I would love to hear some of the benefits of getting married, if any.

Reason they would want that is because they may value different things. You value money and all that but some people value love and family so there it is. Just make sure you're not one of those old 50 year guys running around look for a 20+/30 year old wife when you decide to want kids cause not many women are open to that. Sometimes in life we get what we want for the moment then the moment fades and the past is too far away.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:44 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,677,540 times
Im 30, divorced. No kids. I can vouch for the notion that there's no benefit to the OP getting married in his situation. I actually just turned 30, so this existential discussion has been heavy on my mind during the last week or so.

I too, enjoy the freedom to say and pursue courses of action of my choosing, without having to bow down to the economic necessities and wants of a lesser earning party. I'm also in a better position than my peers financially from a strictly disposable income point of view. They are saddled with the artifacts of living of a life focused on children and the material appeasement of their female partners. Most are also unhappy and beat down, scared to speak up as they would suffer grave and lasting economic consequences. Prisoners in their own lives, bowing agreeable so as to not forfeit the fruit of their hard earned labor. Then there are others who on the other hand are content and seem to enjoy what married life provides in their life, which I genuinely applaud and rejoice for.

I concur with one of the previous posters. Unless children are a HUGE priority in your life, the economic consequences of signing the dotted line next to another human being, who will most likely be of lesser earning means than you, are simply of no positive outcome for you. You are financially and personally safeguarded and better off by remaining unmarried. I know for myself the only criteria where I would accept entering into marriage again in my life is strictly if the person is 1)exceedingly sexually compatible and physically appealing to me 2) is agreeable AND 3)is of equal or higher earning means than me. Otherwise it's girlfriendship or nada. Children is not high on my priorities in my 30s and 40s, so I rather be single and economically safeguarded than overworked and robbed every month by the State because someone didn't get everything they wanted out of marriage one morning and turns vindictive and sticks me in a new york minute. Not exposing myself to the risk of alimony and child support (which de facto alimony and everybody knows it) is more valuable to me than state recognized "companionship". And I would also like to reiterate that I've done my share of sportsf%îng in my life, and it is not my ability to continue to do so that drives my desire to remain unmarried. I wouldn't have a problem pursuing monogamy with a woman who genuinely physically appealed to me and who could be an emotional and intellectual equal (have yet to find that either). My objections to marriage are strictly in the realm of the economic consequences imposed by the laws on marriage and divorce, not the social customs and historical precedents otherwise associated with marriage. I just think it's a lousy contract.

To each their own of course, that cannot be emphasized enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships