Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 08:17 AM

353 posts, read 908,323 times

Advertisements

This thread is sad.

Marriage isn't for everyone and that's fine, but all I see is a bunch of sex-crazed, money hungry men who resent having to be men. A bunch of ****** who want to wine all day about having to provide for a family. If you want the benefits of having a family, then that's part of being a man. If you don't want it, then avoid it.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:18 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,577,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I am truly enjoying my single life, why would I put marriage on my calendar? What exactly would I miss if I died before I reached 50 anyways?

I have been in long term relationships and I was able to see all the pitfalls of marriage without having to "try it", go through a divorce, all the BS involved to later realize "Oops I made a mistake".

I feel sorry for people who make this mistake and in the process, bring 3, 4 children into this world, I have absolutely no regrets whatsoever regarding the lifestyle I have chosen.
Well, I guess you're better off not being married at all. What's this thread about again?

Old 10-16-2011, 08:20 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,326,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutral View Post
This thread is sad.

Marriage isn't for everyone and that's fine, but all I see is a bunch of sex-crazed, money hungry men who resent having to be men. A bunch of ****** who want to wine all day about having to provide for a family. If you want the benefits of having a family, then that's part of being a man. If you don't want it, then avoid it.
What are some of the benefits of "having a family"? I already have a family, BTW, my brothers, my sister, my Mom, my stepfather, Do I need another one?

Old 10-16-2011, 08:21 AM

19,018 posts, read 25,258,954 times
Quote:
I am truly enjoying my single life, why would I put marriage on my calendar? What exactly would I miss if I died before I reached 50 anyways?

I have been in long term relationships and I was able to see all the pitfalls of marriage without having to "try it", go through a divorce, all the BS involved to later realize "Oops I made a mistake".

I feel sorry for people who make this mistake and in the process, bring 3, 4 children into this world, I have absolutely no regrets whatsoever regarding the lifestyle I have chosen.
I think that's only a good thing. You know what you want. You know kids probably wouldn't be a great idea and that marriage isn't for you. If anything, you're being smart. Marriage is serious, life altering business that should be entered with care and thoughtfulness. Frankly, I think too many enter it willy nilly.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:24 AM

19,008 posts, read 29,811,830 times
My father opened investment accounts for me and my brother before we were even born. By the time we were 18, he had all money to put both of us through school. While I got my professional degree through merit, paid by the government, my brother didn't get that far, so my Dad put all the money on him and re-invested the rest he was able to save on me. So when he died he left us enough money to eat and watch tv without doing any work. That is the kind of planner my father was.

Some recent happenings in my life have made me reflect that I have somehow grown up spoiled and have not been the planner my father was. If I plan like my Dad did, I can leave enough money for my grandsons even.

So, the point is, fellas, if you want to get married and have kids, PLAN. Recently I opened a new investment account for the sole purpose of funding my future life with wife's pregnancy, kids etc., and I'm not even married yet.

So when my time comes, I'll be riding out like a champ. My grasshopper days are still going, I still pamper myself, but I have also devised a monthly strategy to be an ant.

Getting married and being a father completes a man. If you cannot do it becoz you didn't plan and cannot afford it, that doesn't mean you have to attack the institution of marriage. Look at the ton of men who have successfully done it and live in mansions. How were they able to do it

Old 10-16-2011, 08:30 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,906,873 times
Quote:
I have absolutely no regrets whatsoever regarding the lifestyle I have chosen.
And neither should you. So why did you pose the question unless you feel the need for some sort of validation?

Reality check. Apart from immediate family members including (just for instance) the annoying parents, aunties Mabel and Harriet along with uncles Joe and Arthur, cousins Joe Jr, Arthur Jr, Hieronymous, Charles, Magnolia and Cherish - all of whom are overweight and have at least two children apiece and thus want you to join in the fun of marriage and procreation - who gives a rat's patootie?

Nobody, actually. Some may ask questions out of sheer curiosity which is perfectly normal and absolutely commendable. The short life we live is so miniscule but surely it behooves us all to maintain our curiosity during such a short span in order to learn as much as possible and, in whatever manner possible, pass it on to the generations which come after us to better equip them?

My reality check was just an all-encompassing example. Heck, they might not ALL be overweight,

Old 10-16-2011, 08:35 AM

337 posts, read 933,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
When you must rely on someone when it is absolutely necessary I think you discover one of the great advantages of having a spouse. .
I got married for the first time at 44. I'm 47 now. I was perfectly happy when single, but my decision to get married was influenced by factors like the one above.

I wasn't just getting married; I was building a mutual support system with my wife. As you get older, bad things will happen, problems related to health, employment, etc. will arise - you can bet on it. I pictured myself at age 60, with no parents or relatives around, possibly completely alone, and wondered how I would get through the tough times.

Now, I've acquired a system that will help me. Single life is great, but you can't be 30 forever. Eventually age takes its toll, and you need to plan for that.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josef K. View Post
I got married for the first time at 44. I'm 47 now. I was perfectly happy when single, but my decision to get married was influenced by factors like the one above.

I wasn't just getting married; I was building a mutual support system with my wife. As you get older, bad things will happen, problems related to health, employment, etc. will arise - you can bet on it. I pictured myself at age 60, with no parents or relatives around, possibly completely alone, and wondered how I would get through the tough times.

Now, I've acquired a system that will help me. Single life is great, but you can't be 30 forever. Eventually age takes its toll, and you need to plan for that.
I sincerely hope that you love your wife and that she loves you? What "system" did you acquire through marriage which will benefit you as you age? Is your wife younger than you, independently wealthy? Just curious.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutral View Post
This thread is sad.

Did you actually read the thread, or just skip to a few posts and base your opinion accordingly? Certainly seems that the latter is true. Sad indeed!

Old 10-16-2011, 08:46 AM

19,008 posts, read 29,811,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josef K. View Post

Exactement. I don't wannabe a senile 60 year old with noone giving me a pat or even a hug, becoz I have NO family.

Senility brings out all kinds of weakness and longing in a man.

So imagine how empty and vacuous life will be when there are NO kids at all. No support system. Nobody having your last name. Sad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships